• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guests with Disabilities

busyscrapper

Earning My Ears
My mother has metal rods & pins in one of her legs and has trouble walking. After some research, we've decided to stay off site, however, we need a hotel that is quite close to the parks. We are narrowed it down to....Tropicana Inn or Best Western Park Place Inn. From what I could find, these hotels seem to be the closest to the cross-walk.

A few questions... Do either of these hotels have interior rooms, or do the rooms open to the outside? Also, do either of these hotels have an elevator? Also, what is a typical rate for value season? How far in advance do we need to make reservations due to the 50th anniversary?

Any additional information would be appreciated!
Susan

Rates will vary, depending on occupancy. I have a $69 rate for February at Carousel Inn. Book as soon as you know you are going for the best rates.

Tropicana tends to have pretty low rates. They have a web site. They have some very nice suites with kitchens if you are interested.

I think we've stayed at the Best Western you are talking about. It's right across the street from the pedestrian entrance to the parks, which makes it really nice to go back to the room when it gets hot/crowded. I'm pretty sure that all of the rooms open to the outside, so the first floor shouldn't be a problem for someone who has a hard time with stairs. Not sure about an elevator though.

We've had some interesting experiences there. The last time we were there was when the Angels won the pennant, so we got two fireworks shows in one night :teeth: We checked in and went to our room, to find a hotel maintenance worker laying on our bed barefoot, with his stinky socks drying on the air conditioner. The whole room smelled like feet. We returned to the front desk and they upgraded our room for us.

On the same trip, a guy in the room across the way kept peeping out of his windows at us. He was sitting there for 2 hours watching us through our windows, like a peeping Tom. I was in my bikini since I had gone to the pool, and I didn't even know that he was watching me. We called the front desk, but I don't know what happened because we left to go back over to DL!!

So yeah, it's close and cheap, but with that, you also get some freaky people sometimes. I think we are staying there when we go back in a month, though. I guess for us, freaky people just make for good stories :banana:

Im staying my 4th trip in a few weeks at Best Western Park Place and my husbnad too is diabled. He now uses an electric wheelchair for the parks. I called them to be sure we would get a downstairs room as I couldnt rely on an elevator because if something happened the wheel chair is too heavy to me to get down the stairs (He can walk but limited distance) They have outside rooms near the car parking and they also have handicap rooms but I asked not to have one of them because they dont have tubs and he needs a tub to soak his legs in when they spasm late into the night. They accomidate us no problem.

Yes it is right across the street too.
We have never had a bad experience there. I wont say its not possible but we personally have had nothing but good experience

I forgot to mention I usually pay about $100 a night at Park Place but this trip I got entertainment Book rate of $85. At first they quoted $95 but when I called to ask questions about the cancellation policy the lady clicked with me and she gave me some other rate in entertainment book. I dont really know but I was so happy to take it.

One other thing to note since your going off season. We once got $99 a night at Paradise Pier (Disney owned Hotel) it was nice to over look the California Adventure and that was in December 2001. We found out about it at Mousesavers.com. Paradise pier had a nice view and a back entrance to California Adventure but a longer hike to the parks (The monorail was definatly closer) But they had no Laundry or microwave and refrigerator like Best Western. (We tend to buy things like hot pockets for lunches and heat in Microwave.) Our room at Paradise pier over looked the CA park so I was in heaven watching the electrical parade form my window that year. We opened the window and could hear it too.

disneyland has a lot of walking, not as much as wdw but enough to make your feet ache. we have rented a scooter from outside dl for the last 3 trips for my father. his legs get tired and cramp. i highly recommend it. the trip before that, his legs gave out after the 1st day. 2nd day he spent in the room, 3rd day we talked him (really guilt tripped him) into trying a wheel chair. he hated the wheel chair (image thing). 4th day back in room. he does fine with the scooter and lasts the whole trip! :moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter