Gun Found at AK - Updated Post#25 Guest Found Loaded Gun

Exactly, that's what layered security is about and Disney has it. They aren't trying to TSA security at the front. Something alerted security and one of their layers caught it. That says the security system does work.

No. The ONLY reason this guy was caught was because the weapon came off of his body. Otherwise, he would have been carrying this weapon all day. I am in security for a living, and I can tell you that something like this should have been caught at the very FIRST layer.

No. The ONLY reason this guy was caught was because the weapon came off of his body. Otherwise, he would have been carrying this weapon all day. I am in security for a living, and I can tell you that something like this should have been caught at the very FIRST layer.

Agreed, of course that's assuming that catching this is even a priority.

How do you suggest that Disney do this?

I seriously doubt that they want metal detectors and pat downs to be the norm for entering the parks.

Agreed, of course that's assuming that catching this is even a priority.

I think it's not a priority or they would have some security measures in place to make sure people aren't entering with weapons. They know full well that people are.

I think it's not a priority or they would have some security measures in place to make sure people aren't entering with weapons. They know full well that people are.

That's my take on it.

How do you suggest that Disney do this?

I seriously doubt that they want metal detectors and pat downs to be the norm for entering the parks.

I think you are correct. Disney wants to bring people in and provide for them a magical experience, and, let's face it, metal detectors are just not very magical feeling. As a matter of fact, the assumption behind using metal detectors in the first place is the belief that everyone is bad, so everyone must be screened, and that stance would not work well for Disney.
In addition, how often do you ever hear of this happening? Not very, although I'm sure people carry concealed weapons into the parks more often than people think- they are simply much smarter about it than this guy was.

I think you are correct. Disney wants to bring people in and provide for them a magical experience, and, let's face it, metal detectors are just not very magical feeling. As a matter of fact, the assumption behind using metal detectors in the first place is the belief that everyone is bad, so everyone must be screened, and that stance would not work well for Disney.
In addition, how often do you ever hear of this happening? Not very, although I'm sure people carry concealed weapons into the parks more often than people think- they are simply much smarter about it than this guy was.

:thumbsup2

Having our bags searched, presumably for weapons, before entering the park doesn't make for a magical experience. No guns in your knapsack or pocketbook but holstered guns are OK? Knives aren't allowed but guns are? I guess they're also looking for people smuggling alcohol (beer). I'd say maybe glass but who would bring a glass bottle? Vodka in a water bottle won't be caught. Disney allows us to bring outside food.

Finding a loaded gun on a ride doesn't make for a magical experience.

I have little doubt our experience in entering the parks will soon be a little less magical. Metal detectors and/or pat downs are the inevitable result of this incident. I go through a metal detector prior to entering many sporting events and concerts.

I can speculate, imagine, an instance where a guest with a weapon is able to "take out" a madman. Probably in a movie.

I can more easily imagine a case where such a "good person" winds up making a bad situation worse. Too many cases of "friendly police fire" shooting the wrong person. I'd hate to think of what would happen if people who met the minimum requirements for a concealed permit from the state with the easiest requirements gets in such a situation.

A couple of posters made a comment regarding police training and guns. That's why my earlier post said "possibly excluding" an off duty police officer.

I don't have a link but airport TSA catches people with guns all the time. Evidently it's not rare for a person who always carries a gun to forget about places where bringing a gun isn't just a bad idea but is illegal (airport) or is against the wishes of a private property owner (Disney).

I'm deliberately not joining in on the general discussion regarding guns. Can't have an intelligent discussion when some people start with the premise newspapers don't report the cases where gun owners stop criminals. Can't have an intelligent discussion when the other side brings up hypothetical cases without any real way to evaluate the likelihood if it happening.

It may be true regarding news reports and TSs hypothetical cases could become true.

A few facts, for what it's worth.

A kid finding a loaded gun on a ride. That's a bad situation waiting to happen.

Accidental discharge causing injury. Plaxico Burress (former NY Giant) accidentally shot himself in a night club. He had a concealed weapons permit, not valid in NY, and wound up serving jail time. He only hurt himself but who's to say others couldn't have been hurt. Some people think he was made an example of. A less public figure might have been allowed to plead down.

They are definitely looking for glass in the bag check. There have been numerous comments about that on the Dis on other threads. Snapple being one they find quite often.

The other day, I observed a plain clothes security officer in the plaza outside International Gateway. I happened to be close enough when I heard him radio a bag checker a description of a particular person. Now, here's the interesting part (to me at least)...

At that moment the bag checker started slowing down and being more cautious. I inferred this was to do two things: a) give the plain clothes more time to observe the person in question, and b) since several people ahead of the person of interest were being more extensively searched, he didn't get the impression he was being singled out.

The other day, I observed a plain clothes security officer in the plaza outside International Gateway. I happened to be close enough when I heard him radio a bag checker a description of a particular person. Now, here's the interesting part (to me at least)...

At that moment the bag checker started slowing down and being more cautious. I inferred this was to do two things: a) give the plain clothes more time to observe the person in question, and b) since several people ahead of the person of interest were being more extensively searched, he didn't get the impression he was being singled out.

This is exactly the kind of security I would expect from Disney. Behind the scenes. They will never put metal detectors and have pat downs at the front gates. If anything, they will have more plainclothes people observing and radioing, like in this example, to the front.

UPDATE:
A Walt Disney World park guest found a loaded gun in the seat of a ride at the Animal Kingdom Dinosaur ride that had fallen out of a man's back pocket.

A grandmother handed a Cobra .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol to a park attendant,

See the article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ey-gun-animal-kingdom-20130529,0,927853.story
~I just read this post, but why would someone bring a gun to Disney??? This is so careless and reckless. Guns are rarely used as intended and the bullet (which has a life of its own once discharged) rarely hits the intended target, the consequences are permanent & devastating. This kind of reminds me of that creepy Korn video when the bullet barely missed a little girl playing hopscotch and continued on to almost wreck the entire town.

~I'm not entirely anti-gun though. I thought I needed one during the blackout years ago, a land of lawlessness is a very scary place.

~I just read this post, but why would someone bring a gun to Disney??? This is so careless and reckless. Guns are rarely used as intended and the bullet (which has a life of its own once discharged) rarely hits the intended target, the consequences are permanent & devastating. This kind of reminds me of that creepy Korn video when the bullet barely missed a little girl playing hopscotch and continued on to almost wreck the entire town.

~I'm not entirely anti-gun though. I thought I needed one during the blackout years ago, a land of lawlessness is a very scary place.

LOL... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you somehow wandered onto this thread (after 19 pages) and just decided to post your opinion. But I really don't believe that. :stir:

LOL... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you somehow wandered onto this thread (after 19 pages) and just decided to post your opinion. But I really don't believe that. :stir:
~LOL, I appreciate you giving me the "benefit of the doubt" -- you're right, I didn't read the whole thread, just the post I quoted. But, I stand by my assertion that bullets rarely hit the intended target and that guns are rarely used appropriately -- for every hero story where the good guy catches the bad guy and the saves the day -- I've got a thousand mishaps and unintentional disasters to add to the intentional disasters.

If I recall correctly there is no pat down and no metal detectors, so shouldn't be too hard. Am I mistaken?

You would be correct. Im taking bets that sooner or later there will be metal detectors (and or) pat-downs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter