• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gustav

Hiya Folks....thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. We live on "the Northshore" and have a mandatory evacuation setting into effect at 7am...they are expecting a 17-23 foot surge from the lake which is less than 2 miles from my house so were leaving tonight and heading to some little town called Albertville, AL. at the 5star high class Microtel!!! Im gonna feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny!!! But I like Bama...so we'll be all good. I'll check in as often as pssible...the hotel will have internet so I'll be on often. It feels great to know you guys are there looking out for me.

I figured between the 2 of us this storm would make one of us evac. So far we are clear but it would not take much of a change to put us in trouble. I hope your cart is insured. Be safe man.:thumbsup2

I figured between the 2 of us this storm would make one of us evac. So far we are clear but it would not take much of a change to put us in trouble. I hope your cart is insured. Be safe man.:thumbsup2

Now that's a true camper...heehee :lmao:

Have a safe trip here to Bama Rog. I saw on our local news here that the roads out of LA were already crowded. Albertville is a small town east of where I live, in Decatur.

Rog glad you and your family are getting out of harms way!

Rog, wish I were right behind ya. I am starting to get a little nervous. I have never worried about a storm, other than Katrina. I have hunkered down while many a Cat 2 storm passed over. THat is what this one is supposed to be by the time it gets to me. I think it is just the stress of everything going on in my life right now. I am having to go through this one alone. It is freaking me out a little bit. I don't have anyone to tell me what to do.

There is a hotel in Dallas for only $100 a night that I am considering. It is a suite with 2 beds and a sleeper sofa. Does anyone know how Dallas will do. If I am going to be w/o power, I would like to at least be home. Of course, I would prefer a nice hotel with a pool AND electricity over being home w/o. LOL Also, I would take the back roads to I-20. Does anyone know how that route will be traffic wise? I will avoid 49. I think most of the traffic will be on 10, 55, and 59.

I don't know, hunkering down sounds kind of exciting. :rolleyes1 :scared1: I know the only fear is power outage, but with temps that can be 100, that is rough.

My dd12 wants to skip church tomorrow. I told her "Now is not the time you want to be skipping out on God!!!" :confused3 Well, if I am going to make church, I have to go to bed now.

Be safe Rog.

mamaloya,
Be carefull if you want to come this way let me know. We are on the Gulf too but I'm not expecting much from this storm here. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys over there and I hope everything works out.
Cindy

Mamaloya, you should be okay in Dallas. From what I have seen on our Dallas news we will only get rain. It is East Texas that will get the heavy rain. Of course that could change.

Rog, did you guys take your photo albums with ya? I heard there is may be a large storm surge that could potentially flood that area.

I finally made the decision to stay. It looks like it will only be a Cat 1 when it gets to me, which is what I kind of thought to begin with, but I stupidly let my yankee neighbor get me all worked up. She was quite funny yesterday when we got a little breeze. She said, "Do you feel that? We are already getting the wind." I was like "It is still in Cuba. This is not from that." She insisted that it was so I just walked away laughing. Then it started to drizzle and she really panicked. My neighbor from Baton Rouge and I were just being entertained watching her panic. I then started to panic a little last night. I am much better this morning though. Heading to church and out to eat. I will swing by WM and grab a couple more things to prepare for a power outage. I am actually looking forward to the kids being stuck with me. The won't be able to go outside and won't have anything electronic. It will be just like camping. After 2 days w/o power though, I think I will head to Dallas. It is only a 5 hour drive.

Rog, I am praying for you guys that you guys stay safe and your house stays dry. I have to say I don't envy you stuck in a hotel room with 5 women and a baby. :scared1: I hope they don't happen to be PMSing right now. :scared1: :scared1: Well, at least the little one won't be, but I swear my dd12 started PMSing at 5. :lmao: :confused3 :eek: I hope ya packed cards and lots of board games.

Hey, guys, hope everyone does fine with this one, I got my fingers crossed for all of ya!

I'm saying my prayers for all of you in the Gulf Coast region. I hope you all stay safe. Please check in if you can and let us know how you're doing. :grouphug:

Here in Pensacola we are under a tropical storm warning. My fingers are crossed for everybody this storm will affect. Soon all will be back to normal and we all can just consentrate on the fort, beer, golf carts and kungaloosh.

Everyone in the storms path will be in my prayers. I hope everyone evacuating will be able to find your homes safe and sound when you return. The main thing I pray is that everyone will stay safe.

well I got home at 1 AM Sat. AM only to find my a/c unit frozen up!!!! Seems the repairs done in April were very temporary!! grrrrrr and being a holiday weekend no way I can get it fixed so I'm at my son's until later tonight to stay cool.. good I didn't have folks come here to stay afterall!! They would be suffering along with me lol . I've bought 450 bucks worth of food/water and supplies and 6 five gallon containers of gas to take back as I'm considered necessary medical personel "B" team...after the storm does its worst I'll return to help care for the ill and injured.Rog ya had to drive right past my town to get to Albertville!!! Give me a call if you still have my number (i'll IM ya too) if it hits as expected you guys won't be going back for a while....I'll get the a/c fixed and you guys can come back and stay at my house instead of paying rent...its not completed since I got it back from my daughter but it's a port in a storm...I'm in Tuscaloosa Al. Janet

Rog I was thinking of you & your family today in church when they mentioned the storm and prayed for you - hoping your family was able to evacuate (your the only one I knew that lived in LA) Good luck to everyone in the path of Gustav and I will be praying for everyone.
:grouphug:

Well, looks like my area is going to only get TS storm strength. Of course, that could always change. The HS here is already receiving evacuees. I am prepared for about 3-5 days of power outage. I have my misty mate to hookup to the hose to keep me cool. My kids will be swimming and playing in the sprinkler to stay cool. Looks like we will be having a block party after the storm as half of the families have stayed.

Today I bought an inverter to charge things in my van. I also bought on of those black and decker jump start things to charge things inside the house if need be. One neighbor has a generator. The things the kids picked out at WM that they felt was a MUST have was the indiana jones special edition monopoly game. They said they could not make it through the storm w/o it. :lmao: It will definitely be a lifesaver for me when they realize that no power means no computer and TV. :confused3 :surfweb: :scared1:

Rog, how are ya'll doing?

I'm more ripped than I waa last nigt but i hope eveyrone gets thuru this ok. good luck hguys

Mamaloyo, I'm guessing that your camper doesn't have a generator? We used to get power outages all the time, until we bought our motorhome, which could serve as a nice port in a storm being self-contained. Since we bought it we haven't had a power outage of more than 30 minutes! Just long enough for me to run extension cords from the MH to the refrigerator and a few lamps, then plink! the lights come back on... doh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter