Gym use under 18

Partyof4LA

Mouseketeer
My son will be 16 when we cruise. I know he can get his cardio running on deck 4, but he also lifts weights 5 days/week at home. Because of his sports obligations, he really can’t go 7 full days without a proper, full workout or he will struggle when we get home. Disney’s website states 18+ only for the gym, but I’ve also read posts from the past that have said older teens can go as long as an adult accompanies them. Anyone with recent experience regarding this? If it’s absolutely not allowed to go lift weights in the gym, is there somewhere else for them? We are sailing on the Fantasy, 7N western Caribbean if that matters.

The gym is 18+.

Would resistance bands be a partial substitute for your son? My DH brings resistance bands to hotels for an in room workout. Packs up well and doesn't add much weight to the luggage

Last June on the Fantasy I could accompany my 14 yr old daughter in the gym. They asked her how old she was and if I was staying with her. Under 13 was not allowed.

I've used resistance bands, Sandbells (Rogue), swim (drag suits), run... sometimes because the gym was too packed on the ships. I don't know what he does for his sport, but the time off for teens that age typically results in negligible muscle loss. Any mobility/agility focused workouts he might do?

Last June on the Fantasy I could accompany my 14 yr old daughter in the gym. They asked her how old she was and if I was staying with her. Under 13 was not allowed.
The DCL Page states two different things so it may depend on the cruise you are taking. It does say that the fitness center is for people 18+, but there’s also one place on the website where it says 14 to 17 year olds can use the fitness center but must be accompanied by a parent.

I think your cruise would fit into the second category.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/fitness-centers/

From their website, it depends on the sailing

• For sailings originating in the United States, Guests between the ages of 14 and 17 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian to enter the Fitness Center. For sailings originating in the United Kingdom, use of the Fitness Center is restricted to adults 18 years of age and older.”
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/fitness-centers/

Look under know before you go

I would have him come up with a plan B for workouts without weights, there are lots of options out there. Resistance bands, using his body, etc. Is it the same as lifting weights? No. But it gives him something to do if he can't get into the gym.

Keep in mind with the gym, I believe a parent will need to be with him the entire time. So for his whole workout you'd need to be closeby.

On our cruise the gym was 18 and older only. HOWEVER, the kids club did have one workout session, but it was for one hour only, once, on a seven day cruise. It is funny that a FAMILY cruise line doesn't have a few hours a day when under 18 are allowed.

On our cruise the gym was 18 and older only. HOWEVER, the kids club did have one workout session, but it was for one hour only, once, on a seven day cruise. It is funny that a FAMILY cruise line doesn't have a few hours a day when under 18 are allowed.
Agree. I see no reason why 14-18 year olds can't use the gym at certain times of the day (if not all day).

Agree. I see no reason why 14-18 year olds can't use the gym at certain times of the day (if not all day).
The gym I belong to allows 12 and older to workout unsupervised. 10 and 11 years olds can work out without an adult if they take the gym's First Steps training program class.

This was in 2019 … but they allowed teens to work out in the Wonder gym on our cruise to Alaska as long as they were accompanied by a parent. I thought it was 18+, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I was on the Dream and when we were taking the Spa tour, they took us through the fitness center and mentioned if we had teen minors, we'd not to sign a waiver & have them accompany one of us. This was on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary

On one of our Disney cruises, when my daughter was under 18, she was rehabbing from a broken knee and they allowed her to use the gym so long as a parent was accompanying her.

Disney’s ship, Disney’s rules. There are liability and supervision issues that likely come into play. It’s easy to envision a hand getting caught in an elliptical machine or a weight dropped on a toe. A parent complaining of an injury is a highly likely scenario.

Thanks everyone!
I looked on the website and only saw 18+ but hadn’t clicked on “know before you go.” Seeing it in writing that 14-17 can go with an adult makes me feel confident he will be able to go. We will pack resistance bands as a backup.
My husband works out everyday, so having a parent go with him is not a problem. He definitely knows how to behave in a gym. If he were immature or loud/disruptive I wouldn’t even consider letting him go in and ruin someone else’s workout.

Last edited:
I can totally understand your concern about your son's workout routine. It's essential to maintain consistency, especially when it comes to sports commitments. While Disney's website mentions the gym being for 18+, it might be worth checking directly with the cruise staff or customer service. They might have special arrangements or alternatives for older teens accompanied by adults.

Also, if you're looking for some fitness options beyond the gym, you can explore this link for ideas: https://hitsona.com/blog/top-21-gym-fitness-franchises-uk/. Who knows, you might find something interesting there that could work for your son during the cruise.

Last edited:
I can totally understand your concern about your son's workout routine. It's essential to maintain consistency, especially when it comes to sports commitments. While Disney's website mentions the gym being for 18+, it might be worth checking directly with the cruise staff or customer service. They might have special arrangements or alternatives for older teens accompanied by adults.
If you read the post above yours, that's exactly what's allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter