HA 2 Bedrooms at OKW

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Since I didn't get any response on the DVC boards I'll try here, in case anyone's stayed at OKW.
I looked at touring plans, trying to find the HA 2 Bedrooms. They tried to say that the second floor in buildings 23 and 26 are HA. How can that be, since those buildings don't have an elevator? Also, if a 2 Bedroom is HA, if the Bathroom in the Master Bedroom the only one that is HA or are both of them HA? Our grandchildren would be in the second bedroom and we really want them to have regular facilities. Last year at OKW, the Maser Bathroom in our Grand Villa was the only HA bathroom, which was just fine with us.

have not stayed OKW, but I did find touring plans could not identify HA bathrooms in Kidani. I used a TA for this booking and did get an HA, it was a one bdr and the master bath was a roll in. Second bath was regular for the other guests.

Since I didn't get any response on the DVC boards I'll try here, in case anyone's stayed at OKW.
I looked at touring plans, trying to find the HA 2 Bedrooms. They tried to say that the second floor in buildings 23 and 26 are HA. How can that be, since those buildings don't have an elevator? Also, if a 2 Bedroom is HA, if the Bathroom in the Master Bedroom the only one that is HA or are both of them HA? Our grandchildren would be in the second bedroom and we really want them to have regular facilities. Last year at OKW, the Maser Bathroom in our Grand Villa was the only HA bathroom, which was just fine with us.
IMG_1730.jpeg
This is a map someone on DISBOARDS DVC forum made showing which buildings have accessible rooms. Buildings 26 and 27 DO have accessible rooms according to the map, but they would be on first floor, not 2nd. The map may not be quite correct - we've staying in a 1 bedroom accessible room in building 43, which is not listed as accessible.

We are DVC members with DVC as our home resort. We usually stay in accessible 1 bedrooms, in buildings 21, 42 and 43. We also staying twice in an accessible 1 bedroom in 23.
We have also stayed in accessible 2 bedrooms in buildings 20, 21, 42.
The second bedroom did not not have a roll in shower in those rooms as far as I remember (I know for sure the one in 42 did not - the others were longer ago).
We also stayed a long time ago in the accessible Grand Villa in building 48 - only the master bath was accessible and there was no access to the second floor except stairs

have not stayed OKW, but I did find touring plans could not identify HA bathrooms in Kidani. I used a TA for this booking and did get an HA, it was a one bdr and the master bath was a roll in. Second bath was regular for the other guests.

Touring Plans does a pretty good job of staying up-to-date, but I personally know of HA roll-in-shower rooms that they have either listed incorrectly or not at all.

I'm guessing that at OKW there might be a few reasons for showing a second-floor HA room; the second-floor rooms that are actually just hearing-impaired equipped with no other accomodation would trigger that in theory.

Also, as @SueM in MN indicated above, there are Grand Villas there that have HA accommodations on the first floor, but depending on which floor/which door they count as the "front door", that unit could show as a second floor unit.

Just as a reminder, generally speaking, any of the rooms that are wheelchair accessible usually don't move during renovations; so if room 101 was a roll-in-shower before renovation, it almost always is after as well. All of the other non-accessible room types could be shuffled around (especially king bed vs 2 queens, or 2 doubles, sofa beds, table beds, pull down beds under the tv, etc.) but ordinarily the wheelchair accessible rooms don't move.

Touring Plans does a pretty good job of staying up-to-date, but I personally know of HA roll-in-shower rooms that they have either listed incorrectly or not at all.

I'm guessing that at OKW there might be a few reasons for showing a second-floor HA room; the second-floor rooms that are actually just hearing-impaired equipped with no other accomodation would trigger that in theory.

Also, as @SueM in MN indicated above, there are Grand Villas there that have HA accommodations on the first floor, but depending on which floor/which door they count as the "front door", that unit could show as a second floor unit.

Just as a reminder, generally speaking, any of the rooms that are wheelchair accessible usually don't move during renovations; so if room 101 was a roll-in-shower before renovation, it almost always is after as well. All of the other non-accessible room types could be shuffled around (especially king bed vs 2 queens, or 2 doubles, sofa beds, table beds, pull down beds under the tv, etc.) but ordinarily the wheelchair accessible rooms don't move.
Touring Plans might just be listing some 2nd floor OKW rooms as 'accessible' because of different types of accessibility. Maybe. My best guess is a mistake.

A Grand Villa couldn't explain 2nd floor accessible villas in building 23 or 26. The only ground floor entry accessible one is in building 48. There are 2nd floor entry Grand Villa in 60s buildings with elevators - I think it's just building 63 for Grand Villa as the map shows.

I do know that when OKW had their big renovation a few years ago, some of the previous 1 or 2 bedroom villas with roll in showers had to be converted to tubs with grab bars because of individual bathroom configurations and/or demand for accessible master bedroom tubs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter