Hair Extensions?

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
I'm thinking of getting extensions for my upcoming wedding/honeymoon. Not sure I want to pay $600 at the salon here. Has anyone had much luck doing extensions themselves? Is there a particular brand and/or method I should be looking for?

Thanks!

No experience other than taking a cheap wig apart to make clip in extensions for a costume.

I do know that Sally's beauty supply sells extensions and accessories for extensions. I find there's usually at least one sales associate there who had knowledge of the product I'm buying. I bet if you go there and talk to someone about what you want, they can point you in the right direction.

Try Google homemade extensions too. That's how I got directions for taking a wig apart for my costume hair.

If i had used a nicer wig, they would have been pretty good clip in extensions.

I'm thinking of getting extensions for my upcoming wedding/honeymoon. Not sure I want to pay $600 at the salon here. Has anyone had much luck doing extensions themselves? Is there a particular brand and/or method I should be looking for?

Thanks!

I've been wearing extensions for 5 years and there is no way I would do them myself. First of all, it is a very long and tedious process and aside from the fact that it would be major PITA, if they are not applied correctly you risk damaging your hair. Also, I can't imagine that they would look nearly as good as when they are done by a professional.

$600 is an incredible price - I would be all over that. What brand are they?

My friend, who is my hair stylist, used Jessica Simpson Hairdo brand clip-ins for her wedding. It was an easier, less cost alternative to actual real extensions and it gave the volume and look she was trying to achieve.

I don't think I'd do it myself either as you can damage your hair. I used to have a really nice fall I would use. It was basically a clip on pony tail. I've also done clip in hair pieces which are good. Something like that could be a good way to go especially if your looking for something for a special occasion or just to change up your look from time to time. I know I had an up do for a wedding I went to and they put this big ball of some kind of mesh underneath and pinned all the curls in place on top to make it seem like my hair is fuller and thicker than it is. So the style you're thinking of will make a big difference if you even need them or not.

I have several of the Jessica Simpson clip in pieces which I used a lot to grow my own hair long.. they were great! I have both the straight & curly, medium & long clip ins... they hold up well & the clips are very secure.

My favourite (that I still use) is the long straight ponytail. I

I recently bought a few human hair "highlight" wefts (brand name "Quickies") in fun colours that tape in. Having them put in next week & cut into my current hairstyle. I'm not sure I could do a good enough job getting them in, in the right places & flat enough for the layer above to cover the tape.. so I'm leaving it to my hairdresser :)

I don't think I'd do it myself either as you can damage your hair. I used to have a really nice fall I would use. It was basically a clip on pony tail. I've also done clip in hair pieces which are good. Something like that could be a good way to go especially if your looking for something for a special occasion or just to change up your look from time to time. I know I had an up do for a wedding I went to and they put this big ball of some kind of mesh underneath and pinned all the curls in place on top to make it seem like my hair is fuller and thicker than it is. So the style you're thinking of will make a big difference if you even need them or not.

Sounds like a hair rat. Women used to take the hair from their brushes and bunch it up into a rat like shape. They'd use it under and in their hair and curls to add volume. Because it was made from their own hair, it matched perfectly and nobody would see it.

My friend, who is my hair stylist, used Jessica Simpson Hairdo brand clip-ins for her wedding. It was an easier, less cost alternative to actual real extensions and it gave the volume and look she was trying to achieve.

:thumbsup2

I use clip in extensions from Sally Beauty. We talk amongst our friends & people would be honest if they thought they looked bad.

I can DM you links to photos if you want.

I used to use clip-ins, too. Even with my extensions, I still use a clip-on sometimes for the top/sides of my hair. It looks very natural. In fact, just the other day I had left my clip-in on the counter and my husband asked what it was. I told him it was a hairpiece and he said 'you wear that??'. He had no idea. :)

I think a clip-in piece would be an excellent solution for the wedding, but as for the honeymoon, it may not be practical. If you are going to the beach you couldn't go in the water with it and with the wind and sand....it really wouldn't work well. Also, I found that the full head clip-on piece was fine for a few hours when we went out, but I didn't like wearing it all day. Even though it was just a couple of clips, it got uncomfortable after a while. Maybe because it is smaller, but with my top piece I hardly know it is there.

Thanks for the replies!

To clarify, by "doing it myself", I meant using the clip ons or tie ones, NOT the heat! I'm really not wanting this to be a permanent (months) thing - just enough for my wedding and my honeymoon.

Just not sure how difficult a process it is? Can I do it myself or is my poor fiancé/new husband going to be struggling with my hair each night as we get ready for dinner, lol!

RadioNate, I'd love to see pics!

I got my 15yo DD clip in extensions for Christmas. I ordered them from Luxy Hair. They are great. They match her hair perfectly and she can curl them or straighten them, whatever she wants to do. She has no problem putting them in herself and they look great.

Thanks for the replies!

To clarify, by "doing it myself", I meant using the clip ons or tie ones, NOT the heat! I'm really not wanting this to be a permanent (months) thing - just enough for my wedding and my honeymoon.

Just not sure how difficult a process it is? Can I do it myself or is my poor fiancé/new husband going to be struggling with my hair each night as we get ready for dinner, lol!

RadioNate, I'd love to see pics!

The clip on are easy. There's lot of online tutorials to help and give you tips until you get the hang of it.

I'd still like to know what type and brand of extensions were $600 that you mentioned in your original post. I love my extensions and I don't know that I want to mess with something that is working for me but dang, that is a good price!! How long do they last? Mine are expensive, but they last 6 months.

I'd still like to know what type and brand of extensions were $600 that you mentioned in your original post. I love my extensions and I don't know that I want to mess with something that is working for me but dang, that is a good price!! How long do they last? Mine are expensive, but they last 6 months.

All I know, Kim, is that they are from Cinderella? Does that help? lol

a few months ago a few women were on SHARK TANK with their invention and the sharks said the extensions were amazing feeling and super easy to play with and to me they look great. They had cashmere in their name...maybe google?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter