Hair stylist jailed for opening her shop, then released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not advocating any change at all. By default you are. County Judge Lina Hidalgo in Harris County Texas issued an order that was stuck down by the state but it said wear a mask in public or be fined $1,000 and receive up to 180 days in jail. This at the same time she overstepped her authority and ordered the County to release "non violent" felons from the county jail. Many of these "non violent" felons were burglary charges from criminals who multiple convictions. So what happens? Burglary increases 20% in a short time in Houston because there is no one in all the shut down businesses.

So the decisions made in these areas and others like $17 million in county funds spent on a temporary hospital that was never used and cost a lot more but as she said it's okay because the Feds are paying the majority of the costs are okay?
She is using power gained during an emergency to further an agenda in certain areas that she campaigned on. She is a 29 year old woman who defeated the incumbent in the position who led Harris County through one of the worst hurricanes this area has ever seen and rode into office on straight ticket voting. Yes I have a problem when people like her are given authority to act on their own to make their own rules for the rest of us.

And rest assured this is not political. I would not want any politician regardless of what side of the aisle they sit on to have this power.
This is the downside of declaring an emergency at any level in America. It puts too much power in the hands of a few. A lot of harm can come in short time frames during a crisis like this.

I am not advocating any change at all. By default you are. County Judge Lina Hidalgo in Harris County Texas issued an order that was stuck down by the state but it said wear a mask in public or be fined $1,000 and receive up to 180 days in jail. This at the same time she overstepped her authority and ordered the County to release "non violent" felons from the county jail. Many of these "non violent" felons were burglary charges from criminals who multiple convictions. So what happens? Burglary increases 20% in a short time in Houston because there is no one in all the shut down businesses.

So the decisions made in these areas and others like $17 million in county funds spent on a temporary hospital that was never used and cost a lot more but as she said it's okay because the Feds are paying the majority of the costs are okay?
She is using power gained during an emergency to further an agenda in certain areas that she campaigned on. She is a 29 year old woman who defeated the incumbent in the position who led Harris County through one of the worst hurricanes this area has ever seen and rode into office on straight ticket voting. Yes I have a problem when people like her are given authority to act on their own to make their own rules for the rest of us.

And rest assured this is not political. I would not want any politician regardless of what side of the aisle they sit on to have this power.

It really got under Clay Jenkins skin when Governor Abbott said that his declaration overrode local authority. Jenkins has being trying to throw around his authority since this all started. Not going to lie - it was nice to see him put in his place.

All good points. After all we do vote for our governors and they act on our behalf. Our governor put in travel restrictions and a judge required a small change. There are checks and balances in place to a degree.
I would agree with this. Just look up how the religious gatherings down to 10 people limit worked (or rather didn't work) in KS (it went through the Courts). You could tell our governor wanted to try to look at general public safety something I don't disagree with but it was a risky move for her (something of which was fairly evident) to make and it did not go in her favor.

I would agree with this. Just look up how the religious gatherings down to 10 people limit worked (or rather didn't work) in KS (it went through the Courts). You could tell our governor wanted to try to look at general public safety something I don't disagree with but it was a risky move for her (something of which was fairly evident) to make and it did not go in her favor.

Meh...religion over public safety...what has this world come to?

The new clients she got are likely losers who won't be around much longer. Honestly, if I were a resident in her area I would purposely make sure me or my immediate family members would NOT use her services.
Why can't you just say the last part of your statement which is totally fine same as people making the decision to go to her? Why insult people like that with your first statement?

Why can't you just say the last part of your statement which is totally fine same as people making the decision to go to her? Why insult people like that with your first statement?

Because they are likely the whacky, paranoid anti-government problem causers in the first place. Ted Cruz is extremely irresponsible fanning the flames of unstable people.

Meh...religion over public safety...what has this world come to?
Like it or not it's a subject we can't go far into but it wasn't something I would have attempted to do reviewing such legal ramifications personally it's a subject that should be treated with caution.

What many of us speaking about it agreed she probably should have done instead was just publicly encourage over and over that religious leaders make such accommodations online (something that many many religious leaders had done already)

Because they are likely the whacky, paranoid anti-government problem causers in the first place. Ted Cruz is extremely irresponsible fanning the flames of unstable people.
This doesn't even deserve much response IMO, it shows your bias just as much as you think the people who went to her salon have. I'll just leave it at that. Please enjoy the rest of your day :)

This doesn't even deserve much response IMO, it shows your bias just as much as you think the people who went to her salon have. I'll just leave it at that. Please enjoy the rest of your day :)

I shall. I will be working tonight. While we are more organized in handling things than we were six weeks ago, we are all worried that people are not complying, rushing to go back and about to cause a prolonging of this situation. But yes...I have biases against people who have inferiority complexes toward science.

You have a lovely day too! :)

KY has closed churches etc. people are not happy but they can reopen later this month with modifications. Courts upheld it.
The reason why the courts favored with the religious leaders is because the religious leaders made the case that they were be subjected to limits that other similar-ish activities weren't (which was technically the case). That's why I said to look into it because it's not necessarily a cut and dried thing. So the end result is they have no limits but they have to practice social distancing guidelines same as everyone else.

Looking at Kentucky the rule was all in person gatherings were not allowed. That was not the case in my state that all in-person gatherings were prohibited.

The reason why the courts favored with the religious leaders is because the religious leaders made the case that they were be subjected to limits that other similar-ish activities weren't (which was technically the case). That's why I said to look into it because it's not necessarily a cut and dried thing. So the end result is they have no limits but they have to practice social distancing guidelines same as everyone else.

Looking at Kentucky the rule was all in person gatherings were not allowed. That was not the case in my state that all in-person gatherings were prohibited.
Yes exactly right

Yes exactly right
I *think* that's why churches were able to be closed for in-person with the courts upholding it in KY; it wasn't that some things were allowed and churches were just added on. It was because it was treated the same as everything else versus being separated out. The reverse played out in my state and TBH the governor attempted to put the limit late enough compared to other things; it was just before Easter which made the Courts' decision very important at that time.

It's a complex thing but the only reason I mentioned it is because of your checks and balance comment. Whether we all agree on the reasons or not some of the states are having legal checks and balances between the governmental powers play out--IL is one of them (stay at home extension in an area was barred), KS (my state with religious leaders), MO did as well (Bass Pro incident), CA I *think* with respects to beaches in counties where counties went up against the state, and probably many more I haven't even heard of and then what you mentioned with travel restrictions that a judge required a small change.

Those groups make up a big portion of his base. Even Ted Cruz deserves respect. I have little patience to those who try to insult him by posting memes showing an unflattering picture of his wife. Even worse was claiming his wife is hotter than Cruz's. Simply childish and not helpful.

I *think* that's why churches were able to be closed for in-person with the courts upholding it in KY; it wasn't that some things were allowed and churches were just added on. It was because it was treated the same as everything else versus being separated out. The reverse played out in my state and TBH the governor attempted to put the limit late enough compared to other things; it was just before Easter which made the Courts' decision very important at that time.

It's a complex thing but the only reason I mentioned it is because of your checks and balance comment. Whether we all agree on the reasons or not some of the states are having legal checks and balances between the governmental powers play out--IL is one of them (stay at home extension in an area was barred), KS (my state with religious leaders), MO did as well (Bass Pro incident), CA I *think* with respects to beaches in counties where counties went up against the state, and probably many more I haven't even heard of and then what you mentioned with travel restrictions that a judge required a small change.
Interesting point to add- A federal judge just declared that KY can’t close its churches. In 2 weeks they can open anyway but there you have it. The courts have spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter