Hallmark Movies - Anyone else like to watch these, but not reality, same plot, often depressing

iwouldrather

Earning My Ears
I usually do not watch movies. If I am not working, I am snowboard, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking or anything outdoors. But with the pandemic, I am working from home and usually just out running or hiking locally. But since the pandemic, especially at Christmas, I started watching these Hallmark movies. Ok so some are kind of good. But seriously they all seem to have the same plot. Also it is interesting that the lead characters are usually within their late 20s to early 30s. They always seem to have been successful and have great jobs and usually in leadership positions, sometimes retired and have free time or changing their life. Going back years, which is usually 5 to 7 years after graduating from high school, blah blah and they find their love. But its not realistic to see this age of so financially set. They are also so perfect both guys and girls. Like little barbie and ken dolls. Not even realistic. They live in homes that are so perfectly decorated and furnished, like in a magazine. Also these homes, if in Los Angeles or any large city would be $4 Million or more. The town they are in are usually filmed in quaint small towns like Park City or Aspen. Then they are so young to have their lives figured out. Not to mention all the "pretty boys" so perfect. Of course these are all actors, who likely are barely making it and living in tiny apartments with high rent and an older used car. They also always seem a guy meets the love of his life or vice versa, just by taking a walk. I have been in my neighborhood taking a walk, running, biking, yeah that never happens. Its somewhat depressing to see over and over, especially being a single guy during a pandemic. Why don't they write these that are more realistic, but common people, commonly dressed that we observe, with common jobs, homes and cars? These people have stories as well. Just be creative. Its more realistic and would be less depressing to see. Another repeat, is the girl who comes back into a guys life, only to over hear him talking and she gets the wrong message and runs away only for him to chase her, blah, blah. But that's my thoughts.

Last edited:
That's Hallmark for ya (if you've seen the one in Garland Alaska). There are bingo games at the Hallmark store where when certain things happen in the movie you are watching, you put a coin on that square. They all drink hot chocolate (with nothing in the cup), they all almost kiss but get interupted until the end, they all have 20 coats in one suitcase, they walk in heels in the snow etc. This year in my opinion that the movies were not as good as in previous years.

Yes I remember the Bingo game thing :rotfl2:

Myself, I kind of get the Hallmark and Lifetime ones mixed up because they are so similar too. Even before the Bingo thing everybody seemed to joke about how they all have the same basic plot, and 20 minutes before the end, there will be a misunderstanding. Somebody is only going to hear half the conversation.

I don't really remember titles, but I saw several of them this year. I think the one called "Blending Christmas" or something like that stood out because it was a like a Brady Bunch reunion of sorts.... had many of the actors playing non-Bradys. I gotta say that was kind of depressing because Bobby Brady grew up to look like a creeper.

These movies are not remotely realistic. Where do they get these houses, all that money, free time, and how do they look like that? They are just fantasy and a nice escape from reality. At least for me, you can turn those on and relax and enjoy it. You know the plots are all similar, but it is just fun to watch. They leave me in a better mood than when I started.

Reality is depressing, these movies are how I would LIKE the world to be.

I enjoy them. I certainly think there's room for more realistic stories too. But cheesy Halmark movies are like the Christmas movie version of comfort food. - The predictability is part of the appeal.

I’m not a fan in general but I can see why people would enjoy them. However, if I’m channel surfing and Lacey Chabert is in a movie I’ll definitely stop and watch for a little while.

I got rid of satellite tv earlier this year, so I didn’t have access to the Hallmark movies after that. I mostly would tune in for the holiday movies. A few of them were decent. I like one with a plot other than just two people meet and it’s happily ever after. In 2020, there was one that involved time travel that was pretty good, and one a few years earlier about a young widow trying to get her life together that wasn’t bad.

I look at them as a fantasy, not as reality. You know what you’re getting when you tune in. I would like to see a wider age range in them, maybe some second time around stories for characters in their 40s-50s. They aren’t all that different to reading romance novels. When you need a little emotional pick me up, they work.

My mother likes them. I find them incredibly boring

The setting thing is kind of like how Friends were able to afford those huge apartments in NYC. they couldn't, of course, it's just TV.

I like them. I don’t take them seriously. I just like to watch something that’s good, wholesome and I know will end well. No foul language, sexual situations or killing.

I can watch reality by looking at my own life, lives of family, friends, colleagues. I do not need an actor to imitate that.

Movies are escapism. They can be superficial or deep, but they are always a distorted version of the truth.

Hallmark movies are for a certain type of audience who like this kind of escapism. You probably aren't the main target audience.

I mostly enjoy them, but would like more diverse age stories. I like the true fantasy ones, like Mrs Miracle, or about Angels, or Santa ones too! Yesterday we watched one that had a woman looking for a sibling that her mother told her about in a note left after mother’s death.

Yes I know what you mean. They are not reality.
Yes I remember the Bingo game thing :rotfl2:

Myself, I kind of get the Hallmark and Lifetime ones mixed up because they are so similar too. Even before the Bingo thing everybody seemed to joke about how they all have the same basic plot, and 20 minutes before the end, there will be a misunderstanding. Somebody is only going to hear half the conversation.

I don't really remember titles, but I saw several of them this year. I think the one called "Blending Christmas" or something like that stood out because it was a like a Brady Bunch reunion of sorts.... had many of the actors playing non-Bradys. I gotta say that was kind of depressing because Bobby Brady grew up to look like a creeper.

These movies are not remotely realistic. Where do they get these houses, all that money, free time, and how do they look like that? They are just fantasy and a nice escape from reality. At least for me, you can turn those on and relax and enjoy it. You know the plots are all similar, but it is just fun to watch. They leave me in a better mood than when I started.

Reality is depressing, these movies are how I would LIKE the world to be.

Yes I know what you mean. Hallmark is worse than Lifetime. Often Lifetime seems a little better. They are still nice to watch over the holidays. Some have been great. Some however, like seriously, I guess tonight I will for a run and will accidentally run into a single girl, with no issues, happy with life and wow we have a Hallmark movie. Anyway if they make you feel better after watching is the best. Happy holidays.

People don't want realistic, they want fantasy. That is the point. You need to not watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter