Halloween party games

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Any fun ideas to share?? DS14 is having about 20 kids over for a Halloween party. I'm looking for a couple of games that teenagers won't consider lame. :)

Print up pictures of famous scary duos or couples (ex. Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein, Sully/Mike Wazowski). Put a picture on the back of each kid without them seeing who they have. Then kids have to ask questions of each other (ex. Am I from a movie? cartoon? real life? What color am I? Where am I from?) to find out who they are and then find their match. If they ask right out who they are, it ruins the fun.

I usually do this for Valentine's Day in my classroom with famous couples/duos (Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie, Tom & Jerry, etc.), but think you could adapt it for Halloween if you can find enough scary duos.

It may be too young, but it's worth a try.

I also like when people blindfold the kids, put them in a circle and pass around monster/witch/zombie eyeballs, brains, fingers, hair, etc. (made of various cooked up things). Ex. grapes for eyeballs.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say!

Print up pictures of famous scary duos or couples (ex. Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein, Sully/Mike Wazowski). Put a picture on the back of each kid without them seeing who they have. Then kids have to ask questions of each other (ex. Am I from a movie? cartoon? real life? What color am I? Where am I from?) to find out who they are and then find their match. If they ask right out who they are, it ruins the fun.

I usually do this for Valentine's Day in my classroom with famous couples/duos (Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie, Tom & Jerry, etc.), but think you could adapt it for Halloween if you can find enough scary duos.

It may be too young, but it's worth a try.

I also like when people blindfold the kids, put them in a circle and pass around monster/witch/zombie eyeballs, brains, fingers, hair, etc. (made of various cooked up things). Ex. grapes for eyeballs.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say!

Oh, that duo game sounds fun!!! I'm going to google scary duos right now...

Have them do a photo scavenger hunt. Put them in groups of 4-8 kids with digital cameras and clues to locations in the neighborhood. Pick things that go with the theme, so hints about specific houses, decorations, spooky trees or jack-o-lanterns. Each member of the group minus the photographer should be in the photo.

You can also give clues for them to do something, for example rake someone's leaves or pick up trash. They have to take photos of them doing it.

Then when everyone returns, have a viewing party of the photos. Have a list of creative prizes to have the kids vote on and present them in the end.

Just one note, I would highly recommend you warn your neighbors what is going on, and possibly find out if they need any quick services that you could include in your clues to do. May make some of them happier to see large groups of kids running around the neighborhood. Oh, it is also a good idea to set boundaries on the playing field for the game.

You could do like a murder mystery kind of thing. Almost like a live action game of clue. Where 2 kids will be detectives. And the other kids will be suspects(one of them will be the killer) and they have to answer questions and stuff to prove their innocence and at the and the detectives guess based on the evidence.

Musical chairs with the song "Monster Mash." I've seen teenagers and adults laughing non-stop while playing it.

Go on Amazon and read the reviews for "werewolves of millers hollow"

It is a perfect party game for large groups and tons of fun. We played with my entire family from age 10-70. Four nights in a row this summer.

It will fit in nicely with the Halloween theme.

Can you record some sounds for them to identify? My DD was trying to identify a noise I was making when I was on phone with her it was my mouse as I was scaning pages om puter lol

Putting items in a box with a hole big enougj for hand to go in it and identifyin what they touchin is fun too

We did one I called Pumpkin Toss at a Halloween party and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

First they got to clean out and carve some pumpkins - we did 8. We put the fake lights in them to make them cool looking and stuck them in the dark yard.

Then we gave everyone Hool a Hoops (we used big pumpkins) and they had to toss the hool a hoop onto the pumpkin. You could use smaller pumpkins and cross stitch hoops or something else instead.

It was very funny as you'd have thought it was easy but it took people forever to do. At the end of the night whoever the top 3 winners of the costume contest were, they got to pick a pumpkin to take home. We kept the rest since it was our party and we put them on our front walkway at Halloween but you could give them all away if you want.

Our Cub Scout troop did something similiar only it was tossing tennis balls into the carved out pumpkins and the pumpkins were pre-carved in advance and not lit up.

We also did the mummy wrap. That was messy - get a ton of toilet paper and the goal was to be the first to use up your stash and throughly wrap someone up with it. We put everyone into teams of 4 - one person was the mummy, the rest did the wrapping. The amount of toilet paper used varied - usually it was about 9 rolls per team. We used the really cheap stuff.
The wrapped person then had to be able to move through a short obstacle course - up a few boards, around some pumpkins, toss a ball into a bucket and whoever stayed together the most won the contest. We usually gave each team member a bag of candy that was put together.
It was pretty popular. Our neighbors came out when they heard all of the laughter and told us that was a pretty fun looking game. LOL

I almost forgot about pumpkin bowling. I saved a couple of groups of plastic 20 oz. diet coke bottles after we drank all the soda - enough for a couple of bowling setups. We filled them with water and set them up like bowling pins. Then I'd picked up small pumpkins in the bag at walmart. You know the kind - really hard and you can't do much with them. Most folks just paint them. But they were our bowling balls.
That was a fun game too and the teens really seemed to enjoy it. We did that one in the garage since the floor was smooth.

We also did a cupcake decorating contest. The judges were the boys. It was a hoot. I baked cupcakes and put out a bunch of different things for them to decorate with. The boys had a blast and ate them after they decided who's was the grossest (is that a word?). LOL

And these were mostly 15 year old boys with a few youngers mixed in like my DD and a couple of her friends.

We also did the mummy wrap. That was messy - get a ton of toilet paper and the goal was to be the first to use up your stash and throughly wrap someone up with it. We put everyone into teams of 4 - one person was the mummy, the rest did the wrapping. The amount of toilet paper used varied - usually it was about 9 rolls per team. We used the really cheap stuff.

Oh, yes! This is super fun and my students LOVE it! Usually only one or two partner groups gets the "trick" to it (mummy spins in one direction, while the wrapper wraps in the other). When the others see or catch on to the "smart" group's idea, it's hysterical watching them try to catch up.

You're such a fun mom planning this for your kid! :)

I LOVE all the suggestions. DS is at an away tournament today, so I will run them by him when he gets home.

I think the mummy sounds super fun and easy. I wonder can they just wrap the mummy and then we can give out prizes for most creative, fastest finish, etc.

We will also have a piñata. It's been an annual tradition in our house forever. However, now that they are teens, we make them hit it with a wacky noodle. Otherwise it would be cracked on the first hit.

my kids all have loved the mummy wrap...they are 20, 17 and 13 now!! My girls used to have kids over to trick or treat and then eat so I never did games, but we had plenty of *spooky * type treats. I am sure pintrest has a ton of ideas..I cannot remember off the top of my head what I used to make.

Any type of scavenger hunt will be a hit.

I can't remember what we called it but this was always a huge hit:

Colored mini marshmallows
Colored toothpicks.

Before the party starts assemble several models (cubes, triangles, rectangles etc) put them away where no one can see them. I used to put on a plate with a towel over each one. Make a few that are easy and then get progressively complicated.

Break kids up into teams of 3-5 in a different room or out of view from where you can display the model. Give each team a kit of the marshmallows and toothpicks (make sure they have enough of each color to assemble the models. The toothpicks can be used several times but the marshmallows only hold up to about 2 rounds) Each team needs to assign 1 engineer and the rest are the architects. The engineer is the only one allowed to actually touch/assemble the model but the engineer is the only one not allowed to see the model.

The Architects get to take a look at the model, then they must relay, verbally or with gestures where the different colored toothpicks and marshmallows go to recreate the model. The architects can go back and forth as much as they need. Make sure there is a clear path with room for several teens to dodge back and forth.

When they think they have it, they must bring their model to the judge. Note, the engineer cannot accompany them, if its not right, they get sent back to rework it. First team to get it right, wins a point. Team with the most points wins

Plan to have enough rounds so that every kid on the team gets to be an engineer at least once

For my teens party. We got halloeeen colored balloons and put a small piece of paper folded up with a dare inside each balloon.. Each kid would pick their balloon and pop it .. Then proceed with the dare ..kids loved it so much. The ended up making up more as the night went on.

For my teens party. We got halloeeen colored balloons and put a small piece of paper folded up with a dare inside each balloon.. Each kid would pick their balloon and pop it .. Then proceed with the dare ..kids loved it so much. The ended up making up more as the night went on.

That sounds fun! What kind of dares?

We did a 'fear factor' night at youth tonight. There were about ten different things they could choose to do or not. For each successful things they did they got points. Those with the highest number of points won.

Ideas were feel brains for ten seconds which was a bowl covered with a black piece of garbage bag with a slit in it. The bowl had spaghetti and sauce in it. Another, they had to eat an 'eyeball' olives with pimento mixed with chocolate syrup and hot sauce. Another was put their hand in a basket of crickets and leave it in for at least 10 seconds. Another eat a quarter of a lemon, etc.

Go on Amazon and read the reviews for "werewolves of millers hollow"

It is a perfect party game for large groups and tons of fun. We played with my entire family from age 10-70. Four nights in a row this summer.

It will fit in nicely with the Halloween theme.

I just looked it up. Looks very cool!

We did a 'fear factor' night at youth tonight. There were about ten different things they could choose to do or not. For each successful things they did they got points. Those with the highest number of points won.

Ideas were feel brains for ten seconds which was a bowl covered with a black piece of garbage bag with a slit in it. The bowl had spaghetti and sauce in it. Another, they had to eat an 'eyeball' olives with pimento mixed with chocolate syrup and hot sauce. Another was put their hand in a basket of crickets and leave it in for at least 10 seconds. Another eat a quarter of a lemon, etc.

Ah, that sounds fun.

I like to do "Frankenstein's Monster". Scares people of all ages. :rotfl:

I think I wrote a scary story about how you acquired "the monster" and that if you are brave enough you can feel the guts or something like that.

Then you pass around, in the dark, stuff in a bowl, bag, etc., covered with plastic with a slit in it and then you tell a story about each body part as the kids touch it.

Brains, can be cooked oatmeal or jello.
Eyes, peeled grapes.
Ears, dried apricots.
Teeth, candy corn
spaghetti, intestines

and so forth. You can make up body parts with food or stuff. That part is fun.

Then once the lights come up and you are done, you bring out the "game sheet" and have them write down what they think the body parts are.

Then score with the BIG REVEAL of the body parts. Which can be fun too.

An easy game I made up was called "Witches Brew".

I had hot glued little medicine cups to a board, then added stuff that "smelled" to them. Making up names to the smells was fun and so suggestive to people.;)

Stuff like witches warts, cat, eye of newt, stinky socks, etc...

Use common household stuff, like herbs, vinegar, spices, etc.

Then have a score sheet where they have to guess what the "smell is". It is a simple game that is just a test of imagination and keen sense of smell.

It is funny because you would think that they would get a lot of them but the names you suggest can really throw them off. Make them creative.

DS went to a birthday party last night and they played some of these games. Well, they are just going to have to play them again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter