Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience on 9/29: So I wasn't at the store at 6 pm, but when I stopped by Grizzly River Outfitters around 7:30, there was no crowd and it was easy to get a shirt. They kept the pins behind the counter, but the CM was happy to show me my options when it was my turn to pay for my stuff. From what I could see, there was a good selection of shirts/hats/pins available. YMMV.

I would have thought that the problems should decrease as the parties progressed and they got a handle on how to roll out the merchandise that causes the least amount of chaos. It sounds like things are just as bad, if not worse, than they were at the party I went to (the third one). I respect that they're trying to limit the party merchandise to party goers so that the guests going to the October parties have a chance at getting the party merchandise, but they need to come up with a way to handle the 6:00 pm shopping surge. Maybe keep everything behind a counter until later in the evening or limit access to the store to a certain number of guests at a time or...

He was not there the first party - someone asked a handler specifically about him and was told "not tonight." I've been on the 17th, 19th, 24th and 26th. Seen him on other three dates. He is roaming the area from Disney Junior to Backlot and Tower of Terror. Found him outside Animation Academy and near the Descendants Dance Party. If you hang out in that area he will be out sooner or later.

Already done, and mentioned in that survey too. Thought about going to City Hall the next day too, but figured writing would make more of an impact.

Everyone who has seen my photos knows that I am not a twig. If I end up with a tennisball sized swelling on the ankle and almost end up on the ground it's way too dangerous of a situation.

How is your ankle doing today? I hope you are better soon. As for Disney, this is a shame. They have eyes/cameras everywhere. They should ID the people who are bum rushing the CMs with the merch and if they have APs, ban them. If they aren't, put them on a ban list that auto scans their pic when they do come back to the parks.

Got back today and had a great time! We went to OBB on Sunday 9/29 we entered through the main gates at 2:00 but rather than going to the right as directed to get our wristbands we headed to Blue Sky Cellar where there was no wait! The mix in time was CROWDED and we found it difficult to do much of anything. I had wanted to go watch Mickeyis Philharmagic but it was closed until the party started. I was told by the CM to come back for the 7:00 show since something special was happening and when we went back by there was a sign that something was being filmed but there was no way into the theater. Most FP’s were gone except for GRR and Incredicoaster during the mix in too. We managed to get on GRR, the swings, and Mater but IC went down right at our return time (anyone else noticed how it’s temporarily closed around 5:15 on party days?) once the party started we went through Oogies treat trail which moved very quickly. Next we hit up Dr. Facillier which did not move quickly, had a ton of people crammed into that small hot building, and honestly felt never ending. That was the last immersive trail we did. After that we rode, rode, rode and left around 10:00 cause my daughters ankle was hurting. I hit up Elias and Co on the way out and got my pin and ornament. We had a lot of fun! The only thing I would do differently is skip the mix in time or go in a bit later. Inhighl recommend getting your bracelet from Blue Sky Cellar rather than right when you walk in.

We were first in line for Dr. Facillier’s Treat Trail on 9/19 at 6pm. Loki walked out promptly at that time, before they had even let us in the building. He came from back between the building the Treat Trail is in and Monsters.

Got back today and had a great time! We went to OBB on Sunday 9/29 we entered through the main gates at 2:00 but rather than going to the right as directed to get our wristbands we headed to Blue Sky Cellar where there was no wait! The mix in time was CROWDED and we found it difficult to do much of anything. I had wanted to go watch Mickeyis Philharmagic but it was closed until the party started. I was told by the CM to come back for the 7:00 show since something special was happening and when we went back by there was a sign that something was being filmed but there was no way into the theater. Most FP’s were gone except for GRR and Incredicoaster during the mix in too. We managed to get on GRR, the swings, and Mater but IC went down right at our return time (anyone else noticed how it’s temporarily closed around 5:15 on party days?) once the party started we went through Oogies treat trail which moved very quickly. Next we hit up Dr. Facillier which did not move quickly, had a ton of people crammed into that small hot building, and honestly felt never ending. That was the last immersive trail we did. After that we rode, rode, rode and left around 10:00 cause my daughters ankle was hurting. I hit up Elias and Co on the way out and got my pin and ornament. We had a lot of fun! The only thing I would do differently is skip the mix in time or go in a bit later. Inhighl recommend getting your bracelet from Blue Sky Cellar rather than right when you walk in.

Thanks for the report! How were the ride lines during the party? We're going this coming Sunday. I did notice the lines were pretty bad during the mix in time on Sunday, but they also didn't seem too amazing an hour or so into the party when I checked again. Did it take a super long time to have low lines? Anything a walk on? Thanks!

Crazy. Why can't they just put it out earlier and then not sell the merch to people without a wrist band before 6:00pm? That's what WDW did at a Villains event we went to this summer at MK.

Disney needs a better plan for the party merchandise!
It goes on sale at 6pm, party nights.
It is a very small section of the stores. Many of the store employees don't know where.

Once they started putting the merchandise out, people started crowding the area, begin held at bay by a few employees. The crowd starts to grow, it gets dicey.

Once 6pm strikes, it's like animals! Everyone just bum rushing the small merchandise round grabbing handfuls of the shirts, caps, etc.
It was bananas.

Yikes! Sounds like they belong in Toon Town.

We have been going to the Halloween parties since they started many years ago. This is the first year I have been incredibly disappointed. We went on Sunday, 9/30 and I have never felt so crowded on a party night. The walkway from Soarin to Little Mermaid was jam packed all night. Even the Hollywood area felt crowded. RSR and TSMM both had lines all night of 20-30 minutes. I'm used to rides being a walk-on at the parties. The longest I ever waited on a party night in the past was 10 minutes for Haunted Mansion. With fewer rides at DCA and what I can only imagine as the same or more people, it just wasn't as enjoyable of an event. Each treat station handed 1 or 2 pieces of candy unlike the 3-4 pieces or handfuls of years past. (I don't need more candy just making the comparison/showing the cut-back.) Years ago when it was in DCA, I enjoyed the human scarecrows and the classic characters out in costume on the wharf and all the big candy corn! Something about that charm was missing for me. I did like the Villains Grove. It reminded me of something like Enchanted Forest at Descanso Gardens. We walked the Grove at 10:30pm and stayed until 11pm so we basically had it to ourselves. I can see it not being enjoyable when they are marching you through in a line as it needs to be experienced with space around you! Of course my mom wanted a spirit jersey and as you've heard, they sold out last Thursday. We used to always go to the first party and they would often not have all the merchandise so we decided to wait until the end of September and they are already sold out. Disappointing but not entirely unexpected. All in all, I don't feel like it was worth it. The price went up, no parking included, no hopper included, more crowded, longer lines, sold out merchandise, no fireworks, no Haunted Mansion = not for us anymore. Super bummed because we always looked forward to this event.

Thanks for the report! How were the ride lines during the party? We're going this coming Sunday. I did notice the lines were pretty bad during the mix in time on Sunday, but they also didn't seem too amazing an hour or so into the party when I checked again. Did it take a super long time to have low lines? Anything a walk on? Thanks!

I would think that by 7:00 PM the lines were way down. We waited maybe 5 minutes for Incredicoaster and 10 Minutes for RSR right after. We walked on Soarin at about 9:30. The wait times posted in the app were way higher than the actual wait times. We skipped the Villains Grove because the line for that was CRAZY even during WOC which surprised me. So if you want to do that then plan to spend some time on that!

Crazy. Why can't they just put it out earlier and then not sell the merch to people without a wrist band before 6:00pm? That's what WDW did at a Villains event we went to this summer at MK.
That's what I was wondering. Or even keep it behind the counter during the overlap period and have people show wristbands to purchase.

How is your ankle doing today? I hope you are better soon. As for Disney, this is a shame. They have eyes/cameras everywhere. They should ID the people who are bum rushing the CMs with the merch and if they have APs, ban them. If they aren't, put them on a ban list that auto scans their pic when they do come back to the parks.

Thanks, a lot better. We kept icing it and my friend's mother let me use a scooter for two days. Thankfully I had also brought a medical bandage with me because my tendons are kind of wonky. Was hobbling around a lot slower than usual, but made do.

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know which nights Halloween Screams will have fireworks, and which nights are projection-only? Guessing fireworks Friday-Sunday and possibly on Halloween night?

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know which nights Halloween Screams will have fireworks, and which nights are projection-only? Guessing fireworks Friday-Sunday and possibly on Halloween night?

Per the calendar, Halloween Screams with Fireworks is only scheduled on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I was hoping that at least on Halloween they would deviate from that schedule, but it appears not. Looking closer, Monday Oct 14, fireworks are listed...

For those that are interested, both the Monkey Bride and the Bill King present are in the attic this year. I felt like both were much easier to find than in some years.

Monkey Bride
The Monkey Bride is on the right side of the vehicle as you enter the attic. She's next to the list of names, under the creepy candy cane.
image009_zpskh4m0h8e.jpg

Bill King Present
The Bill King present is on the floor, on the left side of the vehicle just as the track starts to make the right turn in the attic. Look for the creepy duck. It's just after that.
image020_zpstqbvv4v0.jpg

Per the calendar, Halloween Screams with Fireworks is only scheduled on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I was hoping that at least on Halloween they would deviate from that schedule, but it appears not. Looking closer, Monday Oct 14, fireworks are listed...

WOW, it's right there on the official calendar 🙃 thank you!

Pictures of Halloween Treats as promised - this is part 1 cause my phone has decided to hate me. ><

black rose.jpg

Black Rose Desert.

Black Truffle Mousse with Raspberry Compote and crunchy center dusted with Edible Glitter

One of my favorites from last year. I was really glad to see it return. It is very chocolate-y and very rich, so may easily be shared if you have a small appetite. I had extreme issues with my lips and teeth being colored black, so consider yourself warned.

blood orange.jpg

Blood Orange Slush

Blood Orange slush with a swirl of Raspberry Sauce and a glow cube.

Worked well for my tastebuds. May be a little too tart for others.

constance cake.jpg

Haunted Mansion 50th Anniversary Wedding Cake

Buttercream frosting, cherries, cream cheese filling and finished with a splatter of cherry sauce.

Definitely a candidate for the "best look" prize, but I was disappointed. The cherries did not come through and some of the frosting tasted stale.

doombuggy.jpg

Hitchhiking Ghosts Blue Velvet Cake

I liked that very much, nice and moist. But be sure to pick a serving with an ample amount of the fruit coulis, otherwise it feels like you are missing something.

fleet fries.jpg

Fleet Fries

Loaded waffle fries topped with slow-cooked BBQ pulled pork, shredded cheese, Chipotle ranch, and creamy cilantro-lime coleslaw.

I like spicy. I like things with a kick. This was way too spicy for me, I was still complaining about a burning mouth several dairy products later.

hungry bear.jpg

Dead-cadent Funnel Cake

House funnel cake topped with brownie, white chocolate raspberry ice cream, and chocolate pearls.

One word: YUMM. One of the best brownies I ever had in my life. Outstanding desert, but very rich. Recommend sharing.

jolly2.jpg

Graveyard Cupcake

Chocolate cake covered in chocolate mousse covered in chocolate cookie crumbs, and a white chocolate gravestone topper. They couldn't have stuck more chocolate in this if they tried. Last year’s raspberry filing has been changed, it's now a cherry filing. Makes the whole thing a little more tart and even better, if that was possible.

stagedoor.jpg

Stage Door Funnel Cake

Freshly made Funnel Cake topped with Apple Pie Filling, Cajeta, Streusel, Whipped Cream, and Holiday Sprinkles

I was really missing the apple pie Sundae this year. I was hoping this would be similar. It is absolutely delicious, but you can't really compare it to that Sundae.

Part 2 will follow as soon as I convince my phone the last Pokemon Go update was not a permission to quit service. :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter