HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to my first Halloween party this year and so greatly appreciate this thread to help plan my party strategy. I love the all fireworks pictures - they are wonderful! They appear to be taken from a great spot in the hub. How early must you arrive for Screams to get a viewing spot from where these pictures were taken? Are you allowed to put down a blanket in the hub area and wait like with Fantasmic?

Bret --

Your pictures are fantastic! If you're thinking that your photos are somehow "not as good," you're going to make the rest of us feel completely inadequate!:rotfl2:

I do appreciate your kind words of my pictures Sherry. Maybe I didn't write it out correctly on my post this morning of "not as good". It just that I want to keep improving on the quality of the pictures as the years go by. I do enjoy looking at other DISers pictures during their trips.

Bret/mvf-11c was also at DLR sometime during that week that you were there as well.

I went during that busy week in December last year and it lived up to the crowd levels as being one of the busiest times of the year to visit the DLR. But it didn't seem as bad as I have originally thought of going to the DLR after Christmas. The lines for the rides were long all day from morning to night but walking through the parks with those crowds was not that bad where you can barely move an inch on the streets. I would come with a plan on what you want to do instead of just deciding of what to do when you get to the parks or you will not be able to experience the full effects of your day at the parks.

How early must you arrive for Screams to get a viewing spot from where these pictures were taken? Are you allowed to put down a blanket in the hub area and wait like with Fantasmic?

If you want to get a front row spot in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle for Halloween Screams, you will have to be there at least an hour or longer depends on the spot you want to see the fireworks. If you want a curb side or bench, it will be at least 2+ hour wait time. My pictures of the fireworks were from a curb side on the Hub side that gave me extra height to watch the fireworks. As for a blanket, yes you can bring a blanket during MHP.

Are you allowed to put down a blanket in the hub area and wait like with Fantasmic?
It is worth noting that for the back half of the hub and Main Street, they will let you sit down for some of the wait, but at some point (15-20 minutes before the show) they will ask everyone to stand up and fill in all available space. I don't know if they ask guests in the front half of the hub to remain seated.

Hey Sherry E and everyone already on the page!!!! Just wanted to check in and say that BFFs and I will be back for MHP 2014! We will once again be reprising our roles as the 3 Good Fairies from Sleeping Beauty; we had such a great time as them last year and definitely want to repeat the experience. We are definitely adding a Maleficent this year and possibly a Briar Rose.

I have to ask for help on the Maleficent matter and hopefully someone reading this thread can help me. I am making the Maleficent costume (like I did the fairy dresses) and there just isn't a pattern out there that I can even Franken-pattern from. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the dress/cloak as accurate as possible? Has anyone made a Maleficent outfit before that wouldn't mind me picking their brain?

I can't wait to see everyone's pictures and costumes (yours and the kiddos!). This is such a great time of year. I'm not sure when we are going (I have been hired as the ASB Director for my HS :scared1: and I need to be around for Homecoming week) but we are definitely going!!!!!!! :cool1::dancer:

Thank you for the Animation Academy answers. I'll just have to check each day that we plan to wander over to California Adventure to be sure I get to draw the characters I want. :)

Hello, and happy Monday!:dancer:

I hope all of the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.:flower:

This is going to be another "one of those weeks" in which I find myself wishing for autumn to get here sooner rather than later, and I find myself looking at lots of Halloween-ish images to convince myself that it's not all that far away.:lmao:

It's supposed to be in the mid-to-upper 90-degree range all week here in L.A. (today is on the low end of the 90-degree scale), with Wednesday apparently tiptoeing on the edge of 100 degrees (it will probably be warmer than that in Anaheim). My computer/desk happens to be right next to a very large, heat-emitting window, so you can imagine my non-glee about sitting here on super hot days!:sick::faint:

It's not close to summer yet, so this is madness. Fall's sweet relief cannot arrive soon enough for me.

Anyway, I will continue to sneak in various links, photos and things into the posts on page 1 -- which I have been quietly doing all along -- so keep glancing at page 1's posts to see what suddenly appears from day to day!

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

I don't know about you, but I like fun facts and figures, and little bits of trivia, about the various seasons at DLR.

For example, when it comes to Disneyland Resort's holiday/Christmas season I like to know where the largest decorations can be found (not counting the actual Christmas trees -- of which there are more than 700, in all sizes -- the largest decorations are located in A Bugs Land), and where the smallest decorations can be found (on the cottages along the Storybook Land Canal boat ride, and also on a couple of spots in Critter Country).

When it comes to Halloween Time, I have learned (in "Dining in Disneyland: Halloween Time Starts Now!" from the Disney Food Blog, Heather Sievers, September 21, 2012) that there are more than 1000 pumpkins (real and artificial) used in the Halloween decor at Disneyland Resort!!!

And, remember, most of the Halloween touches are on Main Street (which is home to more than 300 of those 1000 pumpkins) and in Frontierland, so the concentration of pumpkins in those two lands alone -- along with the ones that can be found at the Haunted Mansion Holiday location -- is phenomenal!

In addition, I learned (in "Things You Might Not Know About Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort" from the Disney Parks Blog, Erin Glover, September 17, 2012) that the fun Halloween window displays on Main Street (which are also a major highlight for me during the holiday/Christmas season) are reproductions of actual turn-of-the-century Halloween decor.

Other than on Main Street, you will find quite a bit of reproduced vintage Halloween decor in the Scare-Dy Crow Shack at the Halloween Carnival/Roundup/Big Thunder Ranch. The Shack is not used for anything other than as a place to display those decorations (and a few extra Pumpkin people!), or possibly as a rainy day spot for characters to meet guests, so be sure to stop in and see them.

Here, too, are fun facts and figures about Haunted Mansion Holiday -- "Disneyland Resort Fun Facts: Haunted Mansion Holiday," Disneyland News, September 25, 2013 -- in which we learn more pumpkin stats!

Another one of my favorite Halloween Time blogs/articles in recent years came from our own Nancy Johnson, Correspondent for DIS Unplugged ("Simple Pleasures: A Halloween Time Ride on the Disneyland Omnibus," DIS Unplugged, Nancy Johnson, October 23, 2012), as she wrote about her bird's eye view of some of the pumpkins on Main Street during a carefree ride on the Omnibus.

Finally (for now!), here are 2 Halloween Time podcasts that I did with the DIS Unplugged team, from 2012 and 2013, in which we chatted about all of the things happening in the parks for the season, gave tips, talked treats, etc. The 9/19/13 podcast featured an overview of the Unleash the Villains event:

Halloween Time Podcast & Call-In Show -- 9/27/12

Unleash HalloweenTime -- 9/19/13 Podcast (download from the DIS Unplugged page)

So in the above links you have a little dose of Halloween to get you through a busy (and, if you live in SoCal, HOT!) Monday!

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

I am going to my first Halloween party this year and so greatly appreciate this thread to help plan my party strategy. I love the all fireworks pictures - they are wonderful! They appear to be taken from a great spot in the hub. How early must you arrive for Screams to get a viewing spot from where these pictures were taken? Are you allowed to put down a blanket in the hub area and wait like with Fantasmic?

Welcome, Sjwillia!

Thank you for joining us here! Bret/mvf-m11c and figment_jii gave you great information!

I did now!!! :rotfl:

Welcome, whoopsiedoodle!:cool1: I welcomed you in the Christmas/Holiday thread as well, so I have to assume that you love both Halloween and Christmas (as I do)?! Really, that whole block of time from when DLR's Halloween Time season begins in mid-September on through early January is fun fun fun for me! I love all of the holidays, decorations, TV movies and specials, treats, etc., that pop up during those months.

Hey Sherry E and everyone already on the page!!!! Just wanted to check in and say that BFFs and I will be back for MHP 2014! We will once again be reprising our roles as the 3 Good Fairies from Sleeping Beauty; we had such a great time as them last year and definitely want to repeat the experience. We are definitely adding a Maleficent this year and possibly a Briar Rose.

I have to ask for help on the Maleficent matter and hopefully someone reading this thread can help me. I am making the Maleficent costume (like I did the fairy dresses) and there just isn't a pattern out there that I can even Franken-pattern from. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the dress/cloak as accurate as possible? Has anyone made a Maleficent outfit before that wouldn't mind me picking their brain?

I can't wait to see everyone's pictures and costumes (yours and the kiddos!). This is such a great time of year. I'm not sure when we are going (I have been hired as the ASB Director for my HS :scared1: and I need to be around for Homecoming week) but we are definitely going!!!!!!! :cool1::dancer:

rowan1813 --

Welcome aboard!:wave: I'm glad to see you made your way to the new thread. (By the way, I think that episode of Thriller that you told me about last year, with William Shatner and the house with all of the mirrors) has probably aired 10 times since you first mentioned it!:rotfl2:

I can't help with the costumes, but if Janet/mom2rtk is reading along out there, maybe she has some general tips (since making costumes is her area of expertise, although she has not been to the MHP)???

Thank you for the Animation Academy answers. I'll just have to check each day that we plan to wander over to California Adventure to be sure I get to draw the characters I want. :)

SusanMatt -

It would be good if the schedule and details were posted online, or outside of DCA -- especially if some of the characters being drawn are of specific interest to Halloween Time visitors, such as Jack Skellington or someone like that.

Then again, it would also be good if we could somehow find out which Villain was going to be "conjured" in the tent at the Halloween Carnival -- so that people don't end up meeting the same one over and over again -- but that doesn't seem to be happening either!:(

Our little vacation for our family has turned into a potential full family and friend adventure! We were discussing DL this weekend and it turns out that both my DH's brothers and their families as well as his parents might be joining us! I'm even more excited now. PLUS we had 2 friends and their families possible jump on board. This could be crazy! :scared1::woohoo:

I was checking out this thread since I went last year for Halloween and went to a party too. I just booked a trip to celebrate my birthday a little late( going with my BFF) and realized I will get to see the Halloween stuff again!!!! :cool1::cool1: I am sooo excited....this is just going to be the best trip!! I get to do Halloween and Christmas time again this year!!:banana::banana:

DIS'er and Halloween Time at DLR Superthread participant/contributor figment_jii and I collaborated on some Frequently Asked Questions for the dedicated Mickey's Halloween Party post on page 1 (post #3, in case anyone is looking for it).

I came up with 20 questions -- for which I had fully planned to type up answers, but figment_jii kindly offered to draft some answers for me to save me some time (since I am still working on other sections of page 1). She did a great job, and in the process of typing the responses she came up with another 10 questions, so there are 30 questions in total.:rotfl2: They are all questions that come up every year.

I then reworked some things and rearranged some things, added in some extra commentary, info and links (from perlster, HydroGuy and Geemo) and... Voila!pixiedust: The Mickey's Halloween Party Frequently Asked Questions are now up and running and ready for business -- HERE!

Anyone out there who has never attended the MHP and is thinking about it should skim the FAQs, as those questions literally come up all the time!

Thank you for the contributors of this thread. I am in the process of planning our September 2014 trip and with haunted mansion being shut down for our original trip dates I am now looking at September 16-19. hopefully with these dates we can experience all we want. Haunted mansion is our son favorite ride and halloween is his favorite holiday.

I am use to planning WDW trips, it is very fustrating to have to wait for the release dates of the party but I guess have no choice.

I am subscribed and am continuing to learn about DLR

Forgive me if this was already mentioned but can someone tell me what time the Happy Haunts Tour usually start? Time of day not the date.
Thanks! ;)

Thank you for the contributors of this thread. I am in the process of planning our September 2014 trip and with haunted mansion being shut down for our original trip dates I am now looking at September 16-19. hopefully with these dates we can experience all we want. Haunted mansion is our son favorite ride and halloween is his favorite holiday.

I am use to planning WDW trips, it is very fustrating to have to wait for the release dates of the party but I guess have no choice.

I am subscribed and am continuing to learn about DLR

Welcome, yeheyprincex2! :welcome: I'm so glad you joined us!

Yes -- the delay in dates being released is a big issue every year. I don't know why it takes Disney so long to release their info for Disneyland Resort, when WDW has dates and details lined up way in advance.

You will definitely get to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday (with the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay) during your trip, as well as Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. We are assuming that the Halloween Time season will begin on Friday, September 12th. Even if it began a few days later than that for some reason, you'd still be able to catch the Halloween Time season.

I think that Mickey's Halloween Party and the things exclusive to that party, such as Halloween Screams fireworks and the Character Cavalcade/mini-parade, would probably not be taking place during your trip if you go in mid-September. Unless the schedule changes drastically from previous years, we don't expect the party to begin until late September.

In addition to HMH and SMGG, you'll be able to enjoy the Halloween Carnival/Roundup in Frontierland, which has the wonderful pumpkin carvers who make amazingly detailed (real) Disney character pumpkins. There are also characters at the Carnival, like Woody from Toy Story, Mickey and Minnie, Chip and Dale, Goofy, etc. There are Halloween-themed games, crafts, treats (like candy corn-colored cotton candy), decorations, a petting zoo (with goats in cute Halloween scarves), entertainment of some kind, a Conjure a Villains tent where you can meet a Villain and, most likely, Pirates League (where kids can get pirate makeovers).

There are fun, clever pumpkins lining Main Street -- on balconies, in windows, on marquees, etc. There are pumpkins around the Partners statue. In Frontierland, other than the Halloween Carnival, there is the Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos display and the Ray Bradbury Halloween Tree (which glows in reddish-orange at night).

Over in New Orleans Square you will see details and touches with a Nightmare Before Christmas spin, especially the closer you get to Haunted Mansion Holiday.

And, of course, there are all sorts of Halloween treats and goodies for sale in the sweets shops and baked goods shops, as well as seasonal menu items at some of the restaurants.

If your son loves Halloween -- and doesn't mind that this will not be a scary Halloween celebration -- then he should love Halloween Time at Disneyland. I think you'll have a great time!

Forgive me if this was already mentioned but can someone tell me what time the Happy Haunts Tour usually start? Time of day not the date.
Thanks! ;)

Shock13 --

I am trying to find last year's times for you. I am still looking. From what I recall, the Happiest Haunts tour begins later in the day than other tours. In this Parks Blog from 2010, you will see that the times are listed as 5 p.m. and 5:05 p.m. -- but I'm not sure if that's what the times were in 2013 as well.

Thanks! ;)

When we took it, we had to check in (in Disneyland), at the Tour Gardens, around 3:15pm! We took it as part of the "Ultimate Experience" though, not sure if that affected the time?(Tour part finished up about 15 minutes after the Halloween Party had started):)

Thanks for the MHP update SherryE.
Any idea what villians are available during the day (non MHP)? Particularly keen to see Shadowman...

Thanks for the MHP update SherryE.
Any idea what villians are available during the day (non MHP)? Particularly keen to see Shadowman...

Do you mean Dr. Facilier? (I didn't know who Shadowman was at first, so I Googled it and came up with a very strange comic book character.)

I recall folks mentioning seeing the Evil Queen, Cruella, Captain Hook, or Maleficent at Conjure a Villain. I know Facilier was one of the characters at MHP.

I am now even MORE excited! The MHP Q&A was amazing and now I know for sure that I need to save up some extra cash to go to that too! :yay::woohoo::yay:

Any tips for bringing toddlers and preschoolers to the Mickey Halloween Party? I know they can't last the whole time, but I know they will love it.

Thanks so much for the MHP questions/answers. I plan to print it out to include with the itinary I hand my DD on the way to the airport. We are going on a surprise birthday trip 9/30-10-2. I am hopeful that there will be a party on 9/30 so my DD and I can attend.

Any tips for bringing toddlers and preschoolers to the Mickey Halloween Party? I know they can't last the whole time, but I know they will love it.

My kids loved the party! They aren't normally into character meets so we focused on attractions and CANDY! LOL. We also watched the parade and fireworks, both of which DS4 were asleep for, but DS5 was still awake for. They were never scared of anything, the party is very family friendly. So many cool costumes! Check out my trip report in my signature if you want to read more about it. We went last year for the first time and are hooked!!

This is not Halloween Time-related in the slightest bit, but has everyone gone to buildyourdisneyside.com and created their stick figure decals (I am trying to decide if mine will now become my new Facebook profile picture)?

DisneySideDecalofME-c5e352f7-5050-48af-af30-9737d25ba3b7.jpg

If you haven't done it yet, it's really easy and cute. It's mainly aimed at families, but if you're solo you can do one for yourself too. You get a free download of the image and you get a free real decal mailed to you by Disney. I chose a blue background and seemed to end up with purple:confused3, but it doesn't matter.

Wouldn't it be cool if Disney put out versions of these decals (that were free, and people could customize them online) for Halloween and various holidays too? Look at the little accessories section of the website -- I could easily see a trick or treat bucket being added in there, not to mention a mask or witch hat or cape of some sort. And where is the camera? Why no camera accessory??

I love when Disney randomly throws out cute little freebies here and there (and not things that are snapped up by the public in 2 minutes, such as the Limited Time Magic Jingle Cruise posters last year), such as these decals and the Disney Parks photo effects that were offered on Photobucket a couple of years ago. Of course, the freebies don't stick around for long, but it's cool that every so often we get extra little treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter