Handicap discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on taking 25 years to complete medical school or were you counting Kindergarten? BTW, as a previous poster pointed out, there is no such thing as HIPPA. Perhaps you need a few more years? :confused3

Well, HIPAA does exist but the OP apparently has no idea what it encompasses (and if he is in fact an MD, HIPAA is a basic principle he should understand). As a nurse I'm bound by HIPAA not to give information on Patient A's condition to Patient B, or talk about Patient C with a co-worker not providing care to said patient, etc. HIPPA is in place for health care professionals and it's to keep a person's health information as private as possible (ie: we can speak of current and past medical history with the physician but not the receptionist); HIPAA does not extend to a 20-something talking with the OP's wife as that 20-something is not in the health care field and therefore HIPAA does not apply. Heck, he probably never heard of it. Now, if the OP were my patient and his wife was not listed as someone we can give information to I would be bound by HIPAA to zip my lips to all questions she asked.

I hope that made sense. It's still early! :laughing:

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Sounds to me like someone who is looking for a reason to be angry and willing to take any excuse to point a finger or even file a frivilous law suit.

I brought my mother in law last year. I have to say, I was surprised at how many of the CM's we ran into bent over backwards to be helpful and accomidating to her. Traveling without someone with needs, I admit that sometimes I get frustrated when rides get held up, but after seeing it from the other side, I was most appreciative of all the support the CM's gave to my mother.

For her part, she never once got upset with a CM trying to help her. True, they might have not done everything perfect, but she took everything in the context they meant it - their best attempt to help her with her particualr needs so that she could enjoy her vacation and do the things she wanted to do.

Did the CM's maybe say the wrong thing or perhaps not do the right thing from time to time? I am sure they did. She might have even noticed it. But she understood the context they were doing it in, and took it as being helpful and kind and returned the same to them.

And this is coming from one of the most resentful and rude people I have ever met in my life (she IS my mother in law afterall!).

So my advise to the OP - they were trying to be helpful. Not everything is a lawsuit. Meet their attempt at kindness with the same and you'll be less angry in general.

I agree you should post on the disAbilities on this site. I'm not sure if there are any lawyers who post there, but there are more handicapped individual there, as well as parents who advocate for their children. Btw, I see no need for rudeness from either cast members or Disers, and I hope you find the information you seek. :)

OP would most likely get the same responses there. BTW, some of us come off as "rude" BECAUSE we've spent so much time on the other board advocating for our children. So far the responses here are extremely polite by comparison.

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

:rotfl::rotfl2: Its Jackie Chiles!

I think the argument should be more about Disney's discrimination between the different type handicaps rather than disclosure of said handicaps. The DAS stands for Disability Access Service yet Disney only affords these passes to those with sensory disorders. Ironic, given that it was this primary group who abused the GAC to a point that Disney had to make a change.

Now, those who are wheelchair bound and can't transfer really have a case for discrimination because not only do they have to wrangle with the masses in line but then, insult to injury, they have to wait extra for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. It is ironic too that it is the wheelchair bound group, which these type passes were originally intended, is the most silent.

Just goes to show that just because someone is "disabled", it doesn't make them noble, or even a decent person. The Op is entitled to basic human courtesy, not to have his butt kissed.

He must be a real joy to be around,lol.

A handicapped troll.

::yes::I believe you have a point. Besides, on the internet everyone is equal - there are no privileges and no disabilities :rolleyes:

I have been on these boards long enough to learn that very often, when you see a post like this, especially from a poster with only a handful of posts, go back and see what they said previously.

I think we're wasting time and energy on here people. I'd rather be grumbling about FP+ or something more exciting :rotfl:

Using the words capricious and arbitrary pretty much says it all (law suit), except they didn't make a lot of sense in the context in which they were used. :rotfl:

Clearly his lawyer is Jackie Chiles.

The OP is a complete jack@$$. HIPAA laws protect you at work and the doctor, NOT an amusement park. Even asking what your disability is AT AN AMUSEMENT PARK, is rather harmless. You didn't have to answer. You were not harmed by being asked that. Disney has gone the other way for years, letting anyone say they were disabled, and it ended up with TONS of abuse.

So, I guess I should be able to get a Handicap license plate, just by asking. Because, you know, it's illegal for them to ask me what my disability is.

Take a chill pill, put the balm on, and lower your own self importance a few thousand notches.

Jason

I think the argument should be more about Disney's discrimination between the different type handicaps rather than disclosure of said handicaps. The DAS stands for Disability Access Service yet Disney only affords these passes to those with sensory disorders. Ironic, given that it was this primary group who abused the GAC to a point that Disney had to make a change. Now, those who are wheelchair bound and can't transfer really have a case for discrimination because not only do they have to wrangle with the masses in line but then, insult to injury, they have to wait extra for a wheelchair accessible vehicle. It is ironic too that it is the wheelchair bound group, which these type passes were originally intended, is the most silent.

And so it begins.

I'm going to back up the OP here.

I worked in healthcare for years. Even though I was an accountant I was still bound by HIPAA and I had to do the training every year. So I don't think the CM should be sharing your disability info with anyone (even a family member is out-of-bounds according to HIPAA).

I don't think a CM is bound by HIPAA, especially since we're only talking about accommodations needed and not an actual health issue.

tumblr_m5vqg7UdZU1qaz0qto1_1280.jpg

I see what you're doing there. And I LIKE it. NOw, go put the balm on, and have a few hundred cigarettes.

Jason

Well, HIPAA does exist but the OP apparently has no idea what it encompasses (and if he is in fact an MD, HIPAA is a basic principle he should understand).
My response was tongue in cheek. There is no such thing as HIPPA. It is HIPAA. I would think a "Vanderbilt trained MD" should know that.

I am handicapped. Went to MK and applied for a DAS. I fully understand the rules..an MD from Vanderbilt means I am not a complete idiot...even though they are capricious and arbitrary. HOWEVER, the little 20-something twit with the iPad committed a felony by asking me about my disability, a direct violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. He then recommended I get a wheelchair. Now you and I know what he meant, but any lawyer could nail him for dispensing medical advice. He THEN informed my wife, who walked up later, of everything we had discussed...making him in violation of HIPPA. I understand that Disney is worried about people taking advantage. However, they are bound by federal statutes. Just sayin'.....this is fertile ground for a class action. I did NOT appreciate being talked down to by a 25 year old boy, especially when my education encompassed more years than he had been alive. Disney is on shaky ground with their paternalistic, condescending approach. Yes, I know the jerks from NY and NJ hiring the "handicapped" people hurt us, but they are the extreme minority. It does show how sensitive Disney is to bad publicity. Any attorneys out there want to get on the news? Let me know...

By promoting yourself as better then everyone as a MD, the CM, the thousand who developed the ADA and Disney in general and using statements like *20-something twit*, *Ipad*, *I have more years of education then he was alive*. *we all know what he meant*, *talked down to* .. makes your post questionable at best.

1. The CM by ADA, can ask what accommodation you need for your disability, so they need some information.

2. If you have a long walking/standing issue, Disney by ADA, accommodates by suggesting you use a scooter or wheel chair. That is not medical advise, its called helping you enjoy the park.

3. I'll add if you didn't want your wife to hear you could have spoken up and asked the young man not to say anything about your conversation. You seem perfectly able to state your mind.

I would suggest you read some on the disabilities forum and learn more about the ADA.

You may, in your opinion not approve of the ADA and think it arbitary and as it seems you need to be *bowed to* and don't like being told *no*, its rude, condescending and childish to take it out on a young CM just trying to help you.

Education does not equal being smart, or polite.

AKK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter