handicap room @SSR

Goofy&Sleepy

Mouseketeer
We are staying at SSR in a couple of weeks for the first time. My mom is going w/us & we have requested a handicap studio for her. This will probably be her last Disney trip & she will not go w/us to the parks every day. Is their a view or room that I could e-m & request (or request when we get there) for her? I'd like for her to have the water or something to look at besides a building.

Also, are the ECV's in the parks very hard to rent? Do you have to get their first thing in the morning (we'd probably arrive by 9:00)? We've stayed w/her at BWV & rented one from outside in the past but don't have a way to transport it so we thought we'd rent one in the park or take her wheelchair.

Thanks in advance

If you have reserved a handicapped accessible studio for her, they blocked one for her when you made your reservation, so that would have been the time to make a request. You can try calling now, but chances are that they will tell you one has been blocked for her and a request for location can't be made any more (at least in our experience). I would not worry about facaing another building. The buildings are situated so that most of the windows are facing away from things like the parking areas. Even if her room faces another building, she will face a nicely landscaped area with plantings to screen her view. We have stayed at SSR about 4 times and never had a bad view.

Another thing to point out that I don't know if it applies to your situation or not - many people with wheelchairs think they need a handicapped room just because they have a wheelchair and are worried about whether doors in 'regular' rooms will be big enough to get a wheelchair through.
There are several 'levels' of handicapped rooms. Some of the studios have a regular tub, but have grab bars in the bathroom and also have a raised seat toilet. Some are fully wheelchair accessible so that a person using a wheelchair can roll right into or next to the shower and transfer over to a fold down seat. Those also have sinks that a wheelchair can be rolled under for use and the kitchenette area is accessible from a wheelchair.
If she needs those things, just make sure you have the right type of room blocked for you.
If someone doesn't need those 'features' of the handicapped room, they will be just fine in a regular room. The 'handicapped' rooms are just the same as the 'regular' rooms except for those features.
Since SSR has elevators, you don't have to worry about whether or not you have a ground floor room.

It's hard to say how many ECVs will be rented out at the parks on any given day. If you get there within a few hours after opening, you should probably not have a problem. As long as you are OK with pushing her wheelchair if they are out of ECVs, you will be fine.
ECVs can be transported on the buses. There is information about bus travel and about renting ECVs from the parks and the off-site places in the disABILITIES FAQS thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board.

Another thing to consider about renting from off-site is that she would have the ECV available for her to use around the resort (which is very large).

thanks for the info....we really need the raised commode & walk in shower. I will send an e-m to confirm this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter