Handicapped accessible rooms in Concierge

jdads2

Squirrelly as all heck
What floors offer handicapped accessible rooms? Are they found on the 5th and 6th floors?

Thanks,

In which resort?

I know the Contemporary has an accessible room on 12 (Tower Club) but I don't know about 14 (full Concierge).

Hey jdads2-
Sorry I don't have any info, but good to "see" you around! What hotel (I assume AKL by your sig line) are you thinking of?

Cheshire, are you saying that the CR full concierge doesn't have a handicapped accessible room?? I am LIVID!!!!!!!!

LindsayDunn228 said:
Cheshire, are you saying that the CR full concierge doesn't have a handicapped accessible room?? I am LIVID!!!!!!!!
It sounds like we don't know.
They should have some rooms in each category according to the ADA.
Does anybody know for sure?

LindsayDunn228 said:
The answer is "I don't know".

A few years ago I was staying on 12 and I noticed a lot of work being done to a room on the Park side right at the elevator lobby. I asked the concierge what was going on, as the work had been in progress for several days. He told me the room was being made into an accessible room. They had to tear down the interior wall to enlarge the bathroom area.

As far as 14 is concerned, a lot of the room there are suites. Considering that the space for two rooms is taken up by the lounge and the space for one room is storage/office for Concierge, there are only about half the number of rooms on 14 as on the other floors. Considering the age of the hotel, it would not surprise me if they did not have an accessible room on 14.

Actually there was a recent post from a guest who was annoyed they were stuck with a HA room on the 14th floor of the CR. I think there are only 4 regular rooms on the floor, sounds like one of the 4 is HA. Do a search if you need any details.

CR pre-dates ADA. Does even ADA require a HA room if there are only 4 rooms in that category?

AKL is a new hotel. I'm sure it complies with ADA requirements.

Lewisc said:
CR pre-dates ADA. Does even ADA require a HA room if there are only 4 rooms in that category?

AKL is a new hotel. I'm sure it complies with ADA requirements.
It depends on how much and how extensive of renovation they have done since they opened.

OK, Like I tell my kids listen to whatI mean not what I say :rolleyes:

Sorry about not writing which resort. We are staying at AKL.

Good to hear from all of you!

Yes there are handicapped rooms on the 5th and 6th floors. I have stayed in one on both floors.

I will be renting my large ecv from either Walker, Colonial or Care Medical. Not sure yet. Can anyone recommend the best choice?
We will be staying at the Beach Club concierge floor and the Polynesian concierge (Hawaii building). I do not need a handicapped room. The Polynesian did say they would guarantee us a first floor room due to medical reasons, which is a large ecv.
My question is this, will the large ecv fit thru the entrance doors to the rooms?
Thanks for your help folks.

Aloha,
Gary

Yes. They will even fit though the doors in the small rooms. My ECV (a former rental) is only 23 inches wide. The smallest a room door is is 30 inches. If you have the heavy duty it is only a couple of inches wider.

Cheshire Figment said:
Yes. They will even fit though the doors in the small rooms. My ECV (a former rental) is only 23 inches wide. The smallest a room door is is 30 inches. If you have the heavy duty it is only a couple of inches wider.

Thanks for an answer Cheshire. Have you used either of the three rental places? Can you recommend one over another? :wave:

I always used to use Walker. Admittedly their prices are higher than Randy's, but Randy's requires you be there to accept the ECV and also when they pick it up. I felt it was more convenient for it to be waiting for me when I got to the hotel, and Walker's would pick it up after I left.

On occasion there have been complaints posted about all, but nothing serious.

Cheshire Figment said:
I always used to use Walker. Admittedly their prices are higher than Randy's, but Randy's requires you be there to accept the ECV and also when they pick it up. I felt it was more convenient for it to be waiting for me when I got to the hotel, and Walker's would pick it up after I left.

On occasion there have been complaints posted about all, but nothing serious.

thankyou Cheshire... :wave:

From what people have posted in the last year or so, most seem to be using Care, Randy's and Walker (in alphabetical order).
Randy's is the only one that requires you to be there for delivery (possibly one of the reasons they are a little less expensive). Some people like being there because they can "eyeball" the ECV and get any questions answered - especially nice if you are a new user. Other people prefer Care or Walker because you don't have to be there. If you do a search far enough back, you will find a complaint or 2 about all the companies, but not enough about one company to not recommend.

SueM in MN said:
Some people like being there because they can "eyeball" the ECV and get any questions answered - especially nice if you are a new user.

Well that covers me! :earboy2: The last time we were in WDW, which was 2004, I rented at the parks. The process was ok, but the scooters were lacking a bit. So this will be a first time renting in Florida. Thanks for your help Sue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter