Handicapped ladies with 2 scooters

LILJAN59

Mouseketeer
I am bringing a lady friend she has rheumatoid arthritis and we are not able to take two scooters out of our vehicle to assemble them! Is they any way we can get help at Epcot to help us set up scooters?

You can try asking another guest who is parking nearby at the same time.

Are you staying onsite? Offsite? This is a situation where taking the bus* may be a better option than driving yourselves.

*bus or other WDW transportation options: monorail, boat, skyliner

Staying at a resort like the Dolphin would make things a lot easier. Valet attendants are tipped and are likely to help you. Valet patking at the Dolphin isn't free

We have decided to stay in a 1 br at OKW
with DVC! In the past they have always helped us! 20$ tip helps a lot too!
It’s too much of a hassle to just drive in for the day!

Just remember - only 3 buildings have elevators at OKW - and they’re ‘request only’.

Right, but you can specify you need either an elevator or first floor for mobility reasons and it shouldn't be an issue.
I had an issue with CBR. They couldn't accept the exact request you suggest. Requesting a HA room was the only way to ensure an elevator or 1st floor. I didn't want to take a HA room from a guest who needed it for reasons other then location but that was the only option.

Maybe DVC at OKW is different.

NOTE TO OP. Minnie Van accessible vans can accomodate 2 scooters. They load at the MK not at the TTC.

Much easier then putting scooters in a car

Last edited:
Right, but you can specify you need either an elevator or first floor for mobility reasons and it shouldn't be an issue.
This was a couple years back - I requested an elevator room due to mobility (I use an ECV at WDW) and didn’t get one - so there’s no 100% guarantee. They were able to switch me to first floor…

I had an issue with CBR. They couldn't accept the exact request you suggest. Requesting a HA room was the only way to ensure an elevator or 1st floor. I didn't want to take a HA room from a guest who needed it for reasons other then location but that was the only option.

Maybe DVC at OKW is different.

NOTE TO OP. Minnie Van accessible vans can accomodate 2 scooters. They load at the MK not at the TTC.

Much easier then putting scooters in a car
The key wording is "due to mobility issues" and OKW can and will do everything possible to accommodate that, even if it means upgrading or moving you as necessary. OKW CMs are usually quite friendly, just be nice to them and they will make sure you are well taken care of.

This was a couple years back - I requested an elevator room due to mobility (I use an ECV at WDW) and didn’t get one - so there’s no 100% guarantee. They were able to switch me to first floor…
Yeah, don't just ask for an elevator room, specify you NEED for medical reasons, not just want first floor or a room that is accessible by elevator. Just asking for an elevator doesn't usually gain great results.

The key wording is "due to mobility issues" and OKW can and will do everything possible to accommodate that, even if it means upgrading or moving you as necessary.

While that may have been true at one time, requests for "medical need" or "mobility issue" are absolutely NOT guaranteed at any resort and one should never expect a resort to upgrade you for a "medical need" request -- especially a DVC resort that runs near 100% occupancy. Their response will be "you should have booked a room that takes into consideration your needs." WDW does make every effort to accommodate room requests, however it is never guaranteed and one must be willing to accept that risk.

Now when talking about OKW, since several buildings are only 2-story it's a greater likelihood of getting a first floor room or one of the 3 buildings with an elevator than at a resort like CBR where all buildings are 3 story with no elevators.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it would guarantee it, but they will do everything they can to accommodate you. The problem is they don't have a way to book a room that takes your needs into consideration, for example sure, we can book an ADA room; however, we may not need anything the ADA room provides other than being on the first floor are in a building with an elevator. And by booking an ADA room as a previous poser mentioned, it takes it away from those who truly need the ADA features of the room.

Personally, I think that unless every building has an elevator, there needs to be able to be a way to specify the need for a first floor room at booking if that is going to be their response, but as I said, generally OKW will go above and beyond to make sure you are accommodated, but as you said there is no guarantee.

we can book an ADA room; however, we may not need anything the ADA room provides other than being on the first floor are in a building with an elevator
I was told I should have booked a HA room since that room meets my needs. The fact that I didn't need the other features of the HA room is irrelevant. A request due to a scooter is coded as a preference only.

The front desk will try and work with you but I was told it's the guests fault in not booking a HA room

I was told I should have booked a HA room since that room meets my needs. The fact that I didn't need the other features of the HA room is irrelevant. A request due to a scooter is coded as a preference only.

The front desk will try and work with you but I was told it's the guests fault in not booking a HA room
Which is in my opinion flat out wrong, they need to come up with a better system. Of course another option is to book other resorts like AKL, etc. that don't have this issue.

Back in March we did relatively last minute trip booking 2 nights studio OKW. They were unable to grant 1st floor for the scooter. We didn’t push the issue because we were already asking to merge two 1 night stays without moving room.

It worked out ok for the short trip. At night we just plugged the scooter in outside under the overhand below our 2nd fl room. I wouldn’t want to do that for a longer trip though.

Yeah, don't just ask for an elevator room, specify you NEED for medical reasons, not just want first floor or a room that is accessible by elevator. Just asking for an elevator doesn't usually gain great results.
Trust me - I did - I said that I can not do stairs (which is true) and needed an elevator building…

I've made that request several times, but never gotten that request. The only time we got an elevator building 1 Bedroom was when we were moved after complaining to the front desk about the condition of the room. The manager gave us 3 free fast passes, a gift certificate towards dinner, and moved us to an elevator building. So I felt as if the elevator building was a part of a treat. Otherwise, we were only in an elevator building when we had a HA GV. We love that location!

Which is in my opinion flat out wrong, they need to come up with a better system. Of course another option is to book other resorts like AKL, etc. that don't have this issue.
I agree with you. BUT our opinion doesn't match Disney's policy. Booking a HA room is the only way to document a medical reason for a 1st floor room or a room in an elevator building. Stairs might not be an issue for some guests using a scooter. Having to dissassemble a scooter and carry it up stairs is probably an issue for most.

I spoke to guest services. I spoke to disability services. My reservation was changed to request a HA room if available.

I've made that request several times, but never gotten that request. The only time we got an elevator building 1 Bedroom was when we were moved after complaining to the front desk about the condition of the room. The manager gave us 3 free fast passes, a gift certificate towards dinner, and moved us to an elevator building. So I felt as if the elevator building was a part of a treat. Otherwise, we were only in an elevator building when we had a HA GV. We love that location!
But did you get first floor? If so, that would have accommodated the need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter