• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Happily Ever After and Once Upon A Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

disney minnie

DIS Veteran
i was at Magic Kingdom tonight and watched both shows. I really enjoyed both shows but was surprised that they were so similar. Obviously Happily Ever After has a lot more fireworks and the story is different, but it seemed like the same (almost) thing 30 minutes apart.

Maybe I’m just tired, but am I the only one that thinks this?

As I said I enjoyed both of them and actually at this point couldn’t tell you which one I liked more. I was just surprised that they were so similar.

i was at Magic Kingdom tonight and watched both shows. I really enjoyed both shows but was surprised that they were so similar. Obviously Happily Ever After has a lot more fireworks and the story is different, but it seemed like the same (almost) thing 30 minutes apart.

It's weird....it's like Once Upon a Time is HEA Lite. It was like the stuff that didn't make the cut for HEA. I'm not sure why they do it, quite honestly. One thing it creates is roadblocks where people who are waiting to see the later show clog up the space for the hordes leaving after HEA

HEA still no comparison to Wishes. I really liked the first castle projection show (I think it was called Magic, memories and merriment???) but the variations since that time have been kind of bla!!!

I'm surprised they haven't done away with the projection show altogether since HEA has a projection component very similar - neither having much of a storyline.

Still in the camp of missing Wishes!

I was a big fan of 'Celebrate the Magic', and then felt like 'Once Upon a Time' was a bit of a step back. (Still preferred it by far over Wishes, though.)
Then 'Happily Ever After' came along, and it just left 'Once' in the dust as a projection show. (I ignore the fireworks part and just watch the projections.) It does a much better job of using the detailed contours of the castle to showcase the story elements, and it has a wider selection of characters. I mean, how long has it been since 'Hunchback' got any attention in WDW?
Also, it makes a lot less sense thematically to show 'Happily' first and then 'Once'. After all, stories *start* with 'Once upon a Time' and end with 'Happily Ever After'.
So I'll continue to watch and enjoy both, unless the crowds in the hub just get to be more than I can handle.

I’m kinda with you OP.

I always felt CTM and Wishes were a nice complement to each other. I don’t have the same feel for HEA and OUAT - it’s really just two stand-alone events for me. I find the OUAT projectoions beautiful, but after awhile I am like “ok, I’ve seen enough projections” with that particular show.

I agree with you, however I didn’t like Once Upon a Time.

It seemed to me like Once Upon a Time was a trial run for the technology (it was created before HEA) and that once they saw how it worked in real life they took The that technology forward for the “main event” that replaced Wishes. HEA is supposed to be the show stopper that ends your day magically. Now that HEA is there, OUaT just seems to me like an afterthought...I personally really didn’t like it and regretted sticking around for it. It doesn’t make sense...Celebrate the Magic was a small projection show that was like a pre-show while you waited for Wishes (I personally really loved it). The Good Night Kiss is a sweet little touch to end your day. I don’t get what Once upon a time is there for...I found it to be an anticlimax after HEA.

I totally agree with OP. They are too similar. I enjoy projections on the castle, and I enjoy fireworks. After seeing both shows this past week, I can now say that I don't want to see projections and then more projections with fireworks. I prefer them to be separate.

I was a big fan of 'Celebrate the Magic', and then felt like 'Once Upon a Time' was a bit of a step back. (Still preferred it by far over Wishes, though.)
Then 'Happily Ever After' came along, and it just left 'Once' in the dust as a projection show. (I ignore the fireworks part and just watch the projections.) It does a much better job of using the detailed contours of the castle to showcase the story elements, and it has a wider selection of characters. I mean, how long has it been since 'Hunchback' got any attention in WDW?
Also, it makes a lot less sense thematically to show 'Happily' first and then 'Once'. After all, stories *start* with 'Once upon a Time' and end with 'Happily Ever After'.
So I'll continue to watch and enjoy both, unless the crowds in the hub just get to be more than I can handle.

Celebrate the magic - that was it! I forgot the name of the first one. Really enjoyed that. We will give HEA another try later this year. The one and only time we saw it our viewing spot was not that good. What I did see of it though I was not too impressed. Unfortunately that has become more of a common theme lately. HEA, OUAT, Pandora, FP+ not big fans. I'm hopeful for Starwars land but not so much for ToyStory land.

I totally agree with OP. They are too similar. I enjoy projections on the castle, and I enjoy fireworks. After seeing both shows this past week, I can now say that I don't want to see projections and then more projections with fireworks. I prefer them to be separate.
Yep. I think they distract from one another more than compliment each other. Projections with fireworks during HEA that is!

I must agree that both together make it hard to appreciate the different elements, but I love HEA. I think it's a great show.

What’s a better show to watch from the California Grill, Wishes or Happily Everafter? Any thoughts. Would like to book one. ThAnk youpixiedust:

What’s a better show to watch from the California Grill, Wishes or Happily Everafter? Any thoughts. Would like to book one. ThAnk youpixiedust:

Wishes.
However, Wishes is no longer performed at WDW.

The current fireworks show at MK is Happily Ever After.
Its FIREWORKS can be seen from California Grill, but the projections
on the castle (some say that's 30-50% of the value of the show) can't
be appreciated from outside the MK.

Celebrate the magic - that was it! I forgot the name of the first one. . . . . .
Actually, "CtM" was the second version. The original, several years ago, was "Magic, Memories, and You", which you were very close to getting.

. . . . . , but the projections
on the castle (some say that's 30-50% of the value of the show) can't
be appreciated from outside the MK.
In my case, I'd make it 80-90%.

Thank you. You are right. It’s Fantasy in the Sky or Happily Ever After fireworks. Which would be better to review from California Grill?

Last edited:
Actually, "CtM" was the second version. The original, several years ago, was "Magic, Memories, and You", which you were very close to getting.

In my case, I'd make it 80-90%.

Thanks, I'm all messed up on the names. We just referred to them all as the castle show so the real names escaped my brain. The first one we saw and I think it was the first show of that type was the one where they would take photos of folks throughout the day and include them in the show that night. It also gave a little more homage to Walt and Mickey. I liked the first two or three versions of the show but since then I think they are Ok but not so impressive. I'm not sure if it's not just the new of the format wearing off or if it's just becoming more of an awkward cartoon show. I think the castle show, other attractions and even the entire parks are going more & more away from Walt, Mickey and the original characters that got Disney to where it is today. I know change is inevitable and don't oppose it but you got to keep some of the classics. HEA because of the subject matter and the fact they are combining (IMO unsuccessfully) the projections and fireworks, just doesn't cut it for me. I hope the imagineers get back on track, many of the last few releases just aren't doing it for me. Anyway that's my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter