Happy 60th Anniversary Ford Mustang

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
I was only 7 when the Mustang came out, but seems like every third or fourth neighbor had a 1965 or 1966 Mustang when I was growing up. My dad thought about buying one, but decided not to. I finally got my 1965 Mustang in 2015 after decades of wanting one.
photo.jpg

Congrats to the legendary Mustang.

Congrats on getting the 1965-very cool.

I will always be a fan of the Mustang because without it,my favorite Car,the Camaro would not exist.

Chevrolet created the Camaro in 1967 to compete with Ford's Mustang.

I am currently driving a 2017(50 years since the original).

Thanks again Mustang!

I had an '82 mustang when I was a teenager, it was not quite a classic but old enough to be cool to have owned. More recently I had a 2017 vert and now I have a Mach E

In 1978 I purchased a '66 Mustang 6-cyl Convertible with my Navy bonus. Spent a lot time/$$ keeping up with the rust, mech/elec issues, and keeping it good looking. Loved that car and my second wife did too. Sold it in 1995 to a value of 13 cents per mile cost. I'm sure it's turned to total rust by now.

Since 2005, we have driven VW Convertibles (NBC and 2 Eos's). As much as I wax poetically over the youthful joy I had in my classic Mustang, I prefer all the modern safety features and luxury of my wife's 2014 Eos. Long live the Mustang!

20211002_102452.jpg

123_2324.jpg

My dad worked for Ford from 1960 to 1969. I dont know what his title was but i guess it would be something like Mid Atlantic sales manager. Best part of that job was we had at least one of every car type that came off the line, including a couple of Shelby Mustangs.
My first car in 1976 was a 65 Mustang convertible. I've posted this before but here it is again, just because I loved that car!
65 Mustang crop.jpg

I have owned only one car with the Mustang name and many are upset it has the name. Not sure why people are triggered by an auto manufacturer naming a car, but they are.

My Mustang Mach-e has been the best car I have owned.

I am two years and 27,000 miles in with no issues. Because of software updates my car has additional features it did not have when purchased.

images.jpeg

I had a 1968 Mustang in green with the indented taillights and the hood blinkers. It was a 289 with plenty of power. I bought it used as a 16-year-old not-knowing-what-salt-does-to-undercarriages of a car.

Needless to say, the rust monster struck this car hard. From the shock towers, the frame to the lift up the carpet under the accelerator/brake pedals to see the road. I sold it once the restoration numbers started coming in.

I had a 1968 Mustang in green with the indented taillights and the hood blinkers. It was a 289 with plenty of power. I bought it used as a 16-year-old not-knowing-what-salt-does-to-undercarriages of a car.

Needless to say, the rust monster struck this car hard. From the shock towers, the frame to the lift up the carpet under the accelerator/brake pedals to see the road. I sold it once the restoration numbers started coming in.
I restored it all twice. Mine had the 289HP with 4 speed. That transmission was hard to find parts for. Getting parts in general was very difficult. I was able to get some stuff from the dealer. At least what hadn't finally been discontinued. Of course now you can just about build one from the ground up with remanufactured parts. Anyway, after doing the fenders and floor pans I sold it after finding out the shock towers were almost completely rusted through. Needed something more reliable and in that time period there were still a lot of Mustangs around. I lived in MD so most of what was out there were rust buckets.

I restored it all twice. Mine had the 289HP with 4 speed. That transmission was hard to find parts for. Getting parts in general was very difficult. I was able to get some stuff from the dealer. At least what hadn't finally been discontinued. Of course now you can just about build one from the ground up with remanufactured parts. Anyway, after doing the fenders and floor pans I sold it after finding out the shock towers were almost completely rusted through. Needed something more reliable and in that time period there were still a lot of Mustangs around. I lived in MD so most of what was out there were rust buckets.
Wasn't the 289HP a 289 block with the 302 intake heads and carb./manifold? I had the base 289 with auto. It also had the vinyl(?) top.

I was 16 and just started to work P/T at a grocery store. I bought the car for $400 and sold it for $75. I was in PA at the time and road salt just destroyed it. There was no way the car would pass state inspection.

@hertamaniac
At risk of going down a rabbit hole on specific points I'll just paste this in here. I had to look it up. To be honest, we're going back nearly 50 years so my memory isn't as crisp on the details as it was. Some of what I read here came back to me but all I really remember is having to adjust the solid lifters when they started getting clacky.
The main differences between a regular 289 and a 289 HiPo (High Performance) engine are as follows:

1. Compression Ratio: The HiPo engine typically has a higher compression ratio, which contributes to its increased performance.
  2. Camshaft: The HiPo engine has a more aggressive camshaft profile, which allows for better airflow and increased horsepower.
  3. Cylinder Heads: The HiPo engine features cylinder heads with larger ports and more aggressive valve angles, which improve airflow and contribute to increased performance.
  4. Intake Manifold: The HiPo engine has a different intake manifold, often featuring a Holley four-barrel carburetor, which helps to optimize air and fuel delivery.
  5. Connecting Rods: The HiPo engine has stronger connecting rods, which can handle higher RPMs and increased engine loads.
  6. Crankshaft: The HiPo engine’s crankshaft is carefully tested and selected for higher nodularity, which contributes to its durability and performance.
  7. Counterweight: The HiPo engine has an additional counterweight mounted next to the timing gear, which helps to balance the engine and improve performance.
  8. VIN Stamping: HiPo engine blocks should have a VIN or partial VIN stamping, which distinguishes them from regular 289 blocks.
  9. Main Bearing Caps: HiPo engine blocks have slightly wider main bearing caps, which provide additional strength and stability.
  10. Valvetrain: The HiPo engine features solid lifters and screw-in oil galley plugs, which contribute to its performance capabilities.

Yup, the most desirable Mustang engine. The K code. One of the local Mustang shops is restoring one right now with a budget of $125,000! Owner realizes even this desirable model won't be worth what he is spending, but he bought it new and it has a lot of sentimental value to him.
Mine is an A code, 225 horsepower 4 barrel, the "in between" 289, V8. A step up from the base C code 289 200 horsepower 2 barrel and a step down from the 271 horsepower K code. Here's mine.photo.jpg

Not sure if the Mustang has that engine, but I always laugh when I hear Ford commercials brag about their 'eco-boost' engine. It is their marketing term for a small turbocharged engine. Many of these are recommended/required to use premium fuel, so you have to do the math to see if that makes sense for you.

Yup, the most desirable Mustang engine. The K code. One of the local Mustang shops is restoring one right now with a budget of $125,000! Owner realizes even this desirable model won't be worth what he is spending, but he bought it new and it has a lot of sentimental value to him.
Mine is an A code, 225 horsepower 4 barrel, the "in between" 289, V8. A step up from the base C code 289 200 horsepower 2 barrel and a step down from the 271 horsepower K code. Here's mine.View attachment 852962
I like it! Color is interesting and I'm a fan of the rally wheels. The only other exterior bling it needs is the red stripe tires!

My dad worked for Ford from 1960 to 1969. I dont know what his title was but i guess it would be something like Mid Atlantic sales manager. Best part of that job was we had at least one of every car type that came off the line, including a couple of Shelby Mustangs.
My first car in 1976 was a 65 Mustang convertible. I've posted this before but here it is again, just because I loved that car!
View attachment 852879
Wow!

Were your fellow youths "jealous" of your Mustang "connection"?

I bet you had no problem getting the girls!lol

Very cool.

I like it! Color is interesting and I'm a fan of the rally wheels. The only other exterior bling it needs is the red stripe tires!
Champagne Beige. A 1965 only color, available on all Ford models that year, not just the Mustang. But the second rarest color of 1965 on a Mustang.

Not sure if the Mustang has that engine, but I always laugh when I hear Ford commercials brag about their 'eco-boost' engine. It is their marketing term for a small turbocharged engine. Many of these are recommended/required to use premium fuel, so you have to do the math to see if that makes sense for you.
Yeah, my mechanic advises staying away from any ecoboost engine. My 2018 had ecoboast as an option, I have a non-ecoboost engine.
I forgot about premium fuel. I rented an Expedition last week and put 1,100 miles on it with an ecoboost 3.5 V6 but nowhere did it say premium fuel. Ran fine on regular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter