Happy and Grumpy’s 1st Trip - Part 2: What was I thinking?

JuleeM13

Earning My Ears
Cast: Julee, 27 (AKA Happy) 1st trip to WDW. John, 29 (AKA Grumpy) 1st trip to WDW

(Note…some of this may not make sense if you haven’t read my Prologue post)

Saturday, Nov. 11

The day before our trip I was excited but all the last minute details seemed like such a chore. I began questioning if we should really be going. What was I thinking? We shouldn’t go. I never finished finalizing all the plans. I shouldn’t be spending the money. What’s John going to do about a job? What if something happens to my grandmother while I’m gone? Will John and I get along on the trip? Despite all the things against us, I decided I have waiting too long to go and that it would be worse if I stayed home and sulked.

To take a step back for a minute, it wasn’t until about a week before our trip that I remembered that our flight was leaving out of Chicago’s O’Hare airport at 6:45am. John and I are definitely NOT morning people. I guess I wanted to get in every minute of Disney time I could. We would have to be up at 3:30am and out of the apartment by 5:00am to give us enough time. And on top of that because this was so early we couldn’t ask any of our friends to drive us. Since I was short on funds I wasn’t thrilled to have to pay for a cab, but we didn’t have much choice. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Remarkably enough John started to ask some questions about the vacation he silently prayed would go away for so long. I think he started to feel bad that I was so stressed. I spent all day Saturday doing laundry and packing. I tend to REALLY over-pack and this trip was no exception. By the time I was done with it, my suitcase must have weighed 65lbs. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of clothing options since I really didn’t know what to expect as far as weather. I knew it is usually in the 70’s in November, but with the way my luck was going I figured Florida would end up having a heat wave or an arctic blizzard would blow into town just as we arrived. My over-packing ended up paying off because the weather was kind of wacky when we were there.

Luckily our friend Rick agreed to stop by daily and feed our 2 cats while we were gone. They both knew something was up and I started to feel guilty when they both kept trying to climb into my suitcase while I packed.

Sunday Nov. 12 (Day 1)
I was in bed by 11:00pm only to be awoken quite easily 4 ½ hours later by my alarm clock. My worst fear was sleeping through my 2 alarms (which I’ve been known to do) and missing our flight. Luckily this didn’t happen and we were off to the airport by 5:15am.

We checked in at the gate and I was surprised by the lack of children on our flight. I had been used to flying ATA and Southwest, but I got a great deal on American Airlines. I can’t believe the difference in comfort between these airlines! I flew ATA about a month prior to this trip and it was the most uncomfortable flight I’d ever been on due to lack of leg room. On America I could cross my legs! I didn’t want to leave the plane! However that feeling quickly passed as we landed in Orlando.

We picked up my suitcase from baggage claim. John’s was small enough to carry on, but I’m lucky they didn’t have to charter a separate flight to get mine there. John is such a gentleman. He carried…ok rolled…my bag all the way to the car rental counter only complaining 350 times. What more could I ask for? We picked up our nifty little “$149 for 9 days economy rental” from National. I expected a Geo or something very compact but we ended up with a silver Mitsubishi Mirage with a CD player. We were able to pick the economy car of our choice off the lot. I thought this was something that was only for Emerald Isle customers, but I guess not.

We made the journey to WDW and I squealed with glee when I saw the gates adorned with Mickey and Donald. At that moment John knew it was going to be a very long 9 days. After all the months of planning and waiting and stress (we are going, we aren’t going, we are going) I couldn’t believe we were actually at WALT DISNEY WORLD!

I'm glad things are finally working out. I can just imagine your excitement as you drove through the gates!! :)

Just read your first two posts and I can't find the rest of the story anywhere -- can someone help, I want to know how the trip went!

Thanks

joshua4, do a search on author JuleeM13 for trip reports. They will all pop up and in order!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter