Happy and Sad at the same time over the impending birth of my grandchild- She's here!

safetymom

dis veteran
Update- My daughter just called. :)

princess: Julie Michelle was born at 6:50 PM. She was 6 pounds 9 ounces and 19 inches long. :)

Daughter and baby are both doing well.

We are going to see her tomorrow evening. :)

Update- She just called and is in labor. She is 8 centimeters so I think we won't have to wait much longer. :)

My first grandchild is due on Christmas. I am thrilled I am going to be a Grandma. But at the same it is making me miss my late husband. It has been 11 years since he passed but he would be so thrilled that his daughter was having a baby.

I have warned my daughter about my feelings, and she is missing her dad too. So I am sure we will be quite the family when we go to see her and her husband and my brand new granddaughter.

You know just when you think you are doing well dealing with this you have those moments.

My parents would be thrilled to be great grand parents. Maybe it is the time of year since this is the time of year that my mother died.

I am sure once I pass the hurdle of dealing with this I will be so thrilled with the new little bundle of joy. Our very own Disney princess to spoil. :) princess:

Wish me luck.

Absolutely I hear you. I do think part of it is this time of year, hugs, and then I think of my own having her first and our first and I pray that Tommy is well to enjoy being a Grandfather... so I hear ya...

Hugs to you sweetie.. I am a pm away when you want to talk..

safetymom said:
My first grandchild is due on Christmas. I am thrilled I am going to be a Grandma. But at the same it is making me miss my late husband. It has been 11 years since he passed but he would be so thrilled that his daughter was having a baby.

I have warned my daughter about my feelings, and she is missing her dad too. So I am sure we will be quite the family when we go to see her and her husband and my brand new granddaughter.

You know just when you think you are doing well dealing with this you have those moments.

My parents would be thrilled to be great grand parents. Maybe it is the time of year since this is the time of year that my mother died.

I am sure once I pass the hurdle of dealing with this I will be so thrilled with the new little bundle of joy. Our very own Disney princess to spoil. :) princess:

Wish me luck.

:grouphug: to you. It's very normal to feel this way...it is certainly a time for very mixed emotions. Nothing will ever fill the void your husband's death left, but just know you will be filled with joy in ways you never knew possible with this beauty little bundle.

Thank you both. I know I can do this but it hurts at the same time. I am excited though at the thought of the new grandchild.

:hug: I can't say that I know what you are going through, but I do feel for you and I am here too... You know how to get a hold of me if you need to talk.

I understand completely. My mom passed away 9 mths. before my youngest niece grad. from high school and I cried through the whole ceremony because I was so sad my mom couldn't be there. She lived for events like that...she was the best mom and grandma.

Sometimes a new baby is exactly what a person needs who is looking for solace after having lost a loved one. When my children were born the "circle of life" was so evident to me. Both take after my parents in so many ways, and I really believe my parents continue to live on through my children (and all their grandchildren). I hope you find the same to be true. Congratulations on the impending birth, may your joys be many. :grouphug:

JunieJay, thank you for your perspective. I see so much of my late husband in my kids. My youngest was 9 when his dad died and it is amazing how much like him he is.

JunieJay said:
Sometimes a new baby is exactly what a person needs who is looking for solace after having lost a loved one. When my children were born the "circle of life" was so evident to me. Both take after my parents in so many ways, and I really believe my parents continue to live on through my children (and all their grandchildren). I hope you find the same to be true. Congratulations on the impending birth, may your joys be many. :grouphug:

You never fail to put into words the perfect thing to say, in any given situation. You would make a great therapist. ;)

Safetymom, it's understandable that you are missing your husband during this happy time, and wanting to share your joy with him. There is nothing in the world any more wonderful than holding your first grandchild in your arms for the first time. You have so much to look forward to!

Have you thought about putting together a scrapbook/photo album for her, of her granddad? That way, as she grows, you can share him with her, through stories and pictures. This could also be a special way for you to bring his memory into this blessed event.

Congratulations grandma!

Thank you Yardbird. I have started working on a scrapbook for the grandchild and my kids. After losing my husband and mother in a short period of time I realize that I now hold the family stories. It's time for me to get cracking on this project. :)

Safetymom, I want to give you a hug! :hug:

When I read your post, I was very touched. It actually made me cry.

This time of the year easily makes our emotions raw. I am sorry to hear that you lost a very important half of you. I do not know personally what that feels like, but I would be willing to bet that it is always there.

Congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby. I really hope the visit is pleasant for you and the tears are all happy ones.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and will say prayers for you!

Thank you bytheblood. I know the "drill" of how to handle it but sometimes it is the leading up to the event or after that hurts the most.

I am going to be thrilled holding the new grandbaby but there will be some tears of sadness for those that couldn't be there.

safetymom said:
Thank you bytheblood. I know the "drill" of how to handle it but sometimes it is the leading up to the event or after that hurts the most.

Yeah, that I understand.

Be sure to post some pictures of that baby :goodvibes: and let us know how it went. :)

Of course I will have pictures. :) I am even taking my portable printer to the hospital with me when she delivers. :)

I can really empathize with you. My husband passed away last August and my daughter-in-law is pregnant and will have their third child (my 5th grandchild) in June. I have mixed emotions, too, joy to be having a new little grandbaby, and sadness that my husband won't be here to help spoil this one. He was the most wonderful grandfather. He wrote a silly little song that he sang to each grandbaby as he walked around carrying them in a snuggly, doing the "Grandaddy shuffle" as he called it, getting them to go to sleep. Okay, now I'm crying a little for both us.

Cherry, :grouphug: Hugs for you. I can picture the Grandpa shuffle. :) Please let us know when she has the baby.

Yes, the Grandaddy shuffle was fun to watch -- did I mention he couldn't sing at all. Babies loved it anyway. :rolleyes1

sorry to hear of your situation..not the same but my father died 2 weeks before my grand baby was born and unfortunately was to out of it to realize she was even due...but i will have to say, my grandchild has been such a blessing ( been a really lousy yr) i hope you enjoy her/him as i am sure you will

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter