Hard Rock or Royal Pacific, which is closer to walk

so you can get to that road and connecting walking path through the parking lot? Without walking over grass and stuff, right?
Yes - there is an opening. We have found that leaving the hotel near the Palm Restaurant is the way to go (keeps us in air conditioning as long as possible). Follow the walkway to the left down to the parking area (there are stairs), then cut over to that road and take it right over to the path and IMG_6425.jpegcheckpoint. There might be room location circumstances where going out by the pool is faster, but for us that has never been the case. I hope this helps! We discovered this route by accident when we dropped something off at our car before heading to the park and noticed the walkway.

so you can get to that road and connecting walking path through the parking lot? Without walking over grass and stuff, right?
Noticed last fall when taking that route thru parking lot when it was pouring & normal walkway was flooded, that they did have signs posted. Can’t remember the exact verbiage, basically, saying employee vs guest access.

We prefer staying in section near lagoon, normally just walk. Lovely landscaping & seems far more shaded than walk from RPH.

Noticed last fall when taking that route thru parking lot when it was pouring & normal walkway was flooded, that they did have signs posted. Can’t remember the exact verbiage, basically, saying employee vs guest access.

We prefer staying in section near lagoon, normally just walk. Lovely landscaping & seems far more shaded than walk from RPH.

Were they saying that guests shouldn't go that way? i.e. did it say employee access only?
I read something about the shortcut being closed lately. But maybe they were talking about another route.

Were they saying that guests shouldn't go that way? i.e. did it say employee access only?
I read something about the shortcut being closed lately. But maybe they were talking about another route.
Wish I could remember the exact wording on sign, sorry. It did reference employee access

It wasn’t of the release the hounds, keep out, violators will be prosecuted sort.

It’s posted early on after you take the fork in path from security.

another sign there as u pass back of pool area, heading to parking lot that you can’t enter there Has been so for some time as I understand it.

Everything seemed easier when we stay at HRH than RPR tho RPR is very nice too and not too bad walk either. Why my husband can prefer Universal to WDW, being close walkable to parks and their fast passes it just feels much less stress and enjoyable that way.
It's a more laid back vacation for us. Sometimes my husband sleeps in and meets up with us later, or takes a midday nap. The short walk vs one of us gets the rental while the other is uses WDW transport is a bit annoying at times. I feel no guilt just saying we're leaving text me if you make it.

I have a reservation at Hard Rock and am considering changing to Royal Pacific. After our past stay at Portofino (beautiful but the day there was threat of lightning, the boat didn't run and we had to wait over an hour for a bus...if we had realized it would be such a long wait, we would've walked) I always want to be within an easy walk. Glad to hear both HR and RP are about the same walking distance because we always walk from RP but now wondering, which hotel does everyone prefer? And why? Which has the better pool? Is it true HR is more of a "party" hotel? It's been one reason I've been hesitant to stay there. Thanks!

I have a reservation at Hard Rock and am considering changing to Royal Pacific. After our past stay at Portofino (beautiful but the day there was threat of lightning, the boat didn't run and we had to wait over an hour for a bus...if we had realized it would be such a long wait, we would've walked) I always want to be within an easy walk. Glad to hear both HR and RP are about the same walking distance because we always walk from RP but now wondering, which hotel does everyone prefer? And why? Which has the better pool? Is it true HR is more of a "party" hotel? It's been one reason I've been hesitant to stay there. Thanks!

I think the difference is Does the Hard Rock Theme appeal to you? I found it off-putting. It started with the giant painting behind the check-in desk of this female rocker with a giant snot bubble. It was supposed to be those folds under your nose. The room decor was a mix of smug and trying-too-hard. But, then I'm not a fan of Hard Rock Restaurants either. We never actually made it that pool.

At Royal Pacific, the theming was neutral at min. I loved the water in the pool. I don't know whether it is a salt pool or I was there on a magical not noticeable chlorine day but with the water was still crystal clear. My skin hates the swamp water showers. The RP pool water was practically medicinal to my skin.

I think the difference is Does the Hard Rock Theme appeal to you? I found it off-putting. It started with the giant painting behind the check-in desk of this female rocker with a giant snot bubble. It was supposed to be those folds under your nose. The room decor was a mix of smug and trying-too-hard. But, then I'm not a fan of Hard Rock Restaurants either. We never actually made it that pool.

At Royal Pacific, the theming was neutral at min. I loved the water in the pool. I don't know whether it is a salt pool or I was there on a magical not noticeable chlorine day but with the water was still crystal clear. My skin hates the swamp water showers. The RP pool water was practically medicinal to my skin.
Thank you! I loved the pool at RP and I found the hotel to be soothing as well. I just heard stories about how HR is more of a party place, pool is loud with lots of young people...just debating on paying a little more to stay at RP.

Thank you! I loved the pool at RP and I found the hotel to be soothing as well. I just heard stories about how HR is more of a party place, pool is loud with lots of young people...just debating on paying a little more to stay at RP.

It`s not so much it`s filled with young noisy people, it really isn`t that....but it does seem noisier to us.

My main feeling about it is, it doesn`t have that same resort feel that RP does for us.

It feels almost cold at times, and we never liked the pool there, whereas we love the pool at RP and everything else about the RP too.

With the exception of The Palm, we much prefer the food options at RP......Jake`s, Orchids, Islands and the wonderful Bula Bar.

For everyone like me who doesn`t like the HRH, there`ll be more who do, each to their own and all that.....

It`s not so much it`s filled with young noisy people, it really isn`t that....but it does seem noisier to us.

My main feeling about it is, it doesn`t have that same resort feel that RP does for us.

It feels almost cold at times, and we never liked the pool there, whereas we love the pool at RP and everything else about the RP too.

With the exception of The Palm, we much prefer the food options at RP......Jake`s, Orchids, Islands and the wonderful Bula Bar.

For everyone like me who doesn`t like the HRH, there`ll be more who do, each to their own and all that.....
Thank you so much! I think we're going to leave RP because I know I'll enjoy myself there and I'd be worried about HR. Paying this much, I want to enjoy where I am. Appreciate the advice!

We've stayed at all 3 a number of times, and they are all nice, IMO. I also really like Sapphire Falls, and would stay there more if it had Express Pass. (When I price a room there+ EP, it comes out quite a bit more than just getting a room at any of the other 3.)
2. important point, I have an AP and often stay Club Level. The AP rate is a bit lower than non-AP rates, so that makes CL a better deal.
3. Shuttle boats at both WDW and US can't run when thunderstorms. We've been stuck at WDW (waiting on boat that never came) FAR more than at US, but it can happen at either. At US, walking is pretty easy. We have hardly ever taken a bus at US.

Like all the WDW hotels, each has pros and cons. Generally, I tend to book on where I can get the best deal (the AP rate).

HRH- closest. The rooms are nice. I like the pool. HRH and Portofino have water slides, RP does not have a water slide. I think all 3 also have hot tubs. They also have (or had) live performers by the pool. Generally, they were fairly mellow guitar-playing musicians. Better than the loud music/pool games the WDW pools have in the afternoons. SF has an excellent pool area! The two things I don't love about HRH is that HRH has a strong fragrance. Both the lobby and shampoo have the HRH fragrance. Another thing I don't love is the CL plays music first thing in the morning. It isn't horrible, I just prefer quieter mornings. In the afternoon/evening it adds fun. Before COVID-19, the hotel often had events. I've not gone to any of the live performances, but it is fun to be at a place where things are happening. Another plus of HRH is the bottled water is themed to HRH. Just a fun little touch. We don't tend to anywhere else at HRH.

RP - I like the lobby and all the orchids. The CL food is also very good. In the AM, when not staying club level, they have (had?) a quick grab and go breakfast in the lobby. At 5pm, the Orchid Lounge has decent sushi. Portions are pretty decent for the price, as I recall. The pool is a little dull.

Porto- furthest walk, but not too bad, except maybe in the summer afternoon heat. We usually take the boat since they are so frequent. Pools are great. Rooms are pretty big, but the new decor is so-so. I miss the old decor. No more bathtub, but shower is fairly nice. Hotel is a bit sprawling if you get one of the further out rooms. They JUST remodeled the CL lounge. I have not seen it in person, but it looks really nice! Of the 3 CL, Porto has the best food, IMO. If not CL, I generally like Italian food, though even before pandemic there were not a lot of customers, but the food is decent at Porto.

One thing all 3 do not have, are room balconies. Staff is overall great at all 3.

I suppose HRH does have a bit of party vibe, but not in the sense that the hotel has been too noisy/loud or anyone staying there has been disrespectful. I would more say the staff is upbeat, and the hotel plays upbeat music in the lobby. Porto and RP are a little more subdued. SF also has a fairly relaxed vibe. The colors of SF are blue, white, and cream- so relaxing colors overall.

Last edited:
I am not a pool person and base my hotel booking for their food and hours of services

RP has two table service eateries I enjoy
Toss in the sushi bar and that makes it 3 places for menu dining

Jakes has extended hours and a bar
Their service has long hours for food and drink

Islands is a sit down menu and has breakfast and dinner times

HR has a good menu for onsite dining and snacks

PB has a large following for their inside sit down and counter service pizza menus and full Italian entrees
(Due to food allergies, not much more that a salad I can eat there)

We've stayed at all 3 a number of times, and they are all nice, IMO. I also really like Sapphire Falls, and would stay there more if it had Express Pass. (When I price a room there+ EP, it comes out quite a bit more than just getting a room at any of the other 3.)
2. important point, I have an AP and often stay Club Level. The AP rate is a bit lower than non-AP rates, so that makes CL a better deal.
3. Shuttle boats at both WDW and US can't run when thunderstorms. We've been stuck at WDW (waiting on boat that never came) FAR more than at US, but it can happen at either. At US, walking is pretty easy. We have hardly ever taken a bus at US.

Like all the WDW hotels, each has pros and cons. Generally, I tend to book on where I can get the best deal (the AP rate).

HRH- closest. The rooms are nice. I like the pool. HRH and Portofino have water slides, RP does not have a water slide. I think all 3 also have hot tubs. They also have (or had) live performers by the pool. Generally, they were fairly mellow guitar-playing musicians. Better than the loud music/pool games the WDW pools have in the afternoons. SF has an excellent pool area! The two things I don't love about HRH is that HRH has a strong fragrance. Both the lobby and shampoo have the HRH fragrance. Another thing I don't love is the CL plays music first thing in the morning. It isn't horrible, I just prefer quieter mornings. In the afternoon/evening it adds fun. Before COVID-19, the hotel often had events. I've not gone to any of the live performances, but it is fun to be at a place where things are happening. Another plus of HRH is the bottled water is themed to HRH. Just a fun little touch. We don't tend to anywhere else at HRH.

RP - I like the lobby and all the orchids. The CL food is also very good. In the AM, when not staying club level, they have (had?) a quick grab and go breakfast in the lobby. At 5pm, the Orchid Lounge has decent sushi. Portions are pretty decent for the price, as I recall. The pool is a little dull.

Porto- furthest walk, but not too bad, except maybe in the summer afternoon heat. We usually take the boat since they are so frequent. Pools are great. Rooms are pretty big, but the new decor is so-so. I miss the old decor. No more bathtub, but shower is fairly nice. Hotel is a bit sprawling if you get one of the further out rooms. They JUST remodeled the CL lounge. I have not seen it in person, but it looks really nice! Of the 3 CL, Porto has the best food, IMO. If not CL, I generally like Italian food, though even before pandemic there were not a lot of customers, but the food is decent at Porto.

One thing all 3 do not have, are room balconies. Staff is overall great at all 3.

I suppose HRH does have a bit of party vibe, but not in the sense that the hotel has been too noisy/loud or anyone staying there has been disrespectful. I would more say the staff is upbeat, and the hotel plays upbeat music in the lobby. Porto and RP are a little more subdued. SF also has a fairly relaxed vibe. The colors of SF are blue, white, and cream- so relaxing colors overall.
Thank you for all the info! We were there over the summer when we stayed at Portofino hence my kids not wanting to walk. I didn't mind but wasn't worth the whining. We also have annual passes but it took me 3 years to figure out we get a reduced rate ugh. At least I finally figured it out! My daughter lives in Florida so sometimes we all go and she books the room with the resident rate...didn't realize I had the same price with my AP. And we'll never stay anywhere that doesn't offer EP...so nice to have shorter lines, we get to do and see so much more. Thanks again!

I am not a pool person and base my hotel booking for their food and hours of services

RP has two table service eateries I enjoy
Toss in the sushi bar and that makes it 3 places for menu dining

Jakes has extended hours and a bar
Their service has long hours for food and drink

Islands is a sit down menu and has breakfast and dinner times

HR has a good menu for onsite dining and snacks

PB has a large following for their inside sit down and counter service pizza menus and full Italian entrees
(Due to food allergies, not much more that a salad I can eat there)
Thanks for this info! I didn't really consider the restaurants but at RP we've eaten several times and I loved the restaurant (think the main one? it's been over a year since we've been and I don't remember). I did love the way Portofino had the ordering counter and the store...we mostly eat at the park or City Walk but it was great to have that place when we got back to the hotel and wanted a late snack. I did decide to spend the extra and stay at RP...my daughter has stayed at HR and repeated what a few people said, it's a nice hotel but I'll be more comfortable at RP. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter