HARM training and running

Mr_Incr3dible

50 miles at 55!
I have mentioned most of this elsewhere, but here it is all in one spot. If you find it useful, great; if not, thanks for reading. Hopefully someone finds something useful in here. YMMV. Some settling may occur during shipping.

HARM (Half-@ssed Running Method)​

The HARM (TM) training is the method I used to prepare for the 2022 Dopey challenge as well as other races. Below is my documentation of the method and my experience with it for anyone else who would like to use it. The name for my training is rather tongue-in-cheek and was made up in the midst of replying to a forum message, but it does work and is somewhat supported by threads on this forum about frequency versus distances.

Preface: I just turned 56, I’m 5’9” tall, weigh 204, and I need to lose at least ten more pounds. In short, no one looks at me and thinks “That guy is a distance runner.” I have a slightly deformed toe on one foot that requires a corn cushion to keep it from riding up on my big toe, and Morton’s nephropathy in my other foot. I also have to use an inhaler before strenuous exercise so that I can breathe better and not have a ton of phlegm that evening. When I started back to running and training for my first half (Disney MW 2009), I was having to take a walk break after only a quarter mile. My first marathon was part of the Goofy Challenge ten years ago, my second marathon was this past month as part of the Dopey. (FWIW, in between, I’ve twice been signed up for the MCM and life interfered with running in it. Just dang.)

2023 Update: I finally completed the MCM in 2023, followed shortly after by the 2024 Goofy Challenge at WDW. And FWIW, I'm running better and stronger than I have in years.

Target audience:
  • Anyone who is or has been wondering if they can complete a Dopey, a Goofy, or even a half (see my previous sentence).
  • Anyone who is wondering if their training is enough or if their weekend runs were long enough
  • Anyone not quite happy with their “Couch to desired-race-distance” training plan.
  • Anyone who is getting to be my age and wants a slightly more laid back running plan.

The method:
1. A three to four mile run 3x per week, usually with 1 day of rest in-between
2. In between the daily runs, do brisk walks, bicycle riding, swimming, or other cross training. Get in your 10,000 steps or the equivalent. I also do weights, usually the dumbbells sitting next to my desk while on non-video calls.
3. On the weekend, get in a longer run. Start with 4 miles and work your way up as time and your fitness allow. In my case, my longest weekend run was 6 miles, but up to ten miles would have been better.
4. Until you get to where you can run longer distances without walking, take a walk break every mile and walk 50 steps before resuming running. That is enough to let your muscles wick away some lactic acid without your body dropping out of “run mode”. During an actual race, those steps are taken as part of a water station and has the benefit of making it easier to drink some water without wearing/spilling most of it. As your level of fitness improves, decrease the number of walk breaks.
5. That’s it.
Update: After a half and a full where I ran the first half and dropped down to walking for nearly all the second half of the races, it led to switching from one muscle group (running) to a slightly different muscle group for the fast striding. The answer is to continue with intervals, even if the intervals are mostly walking. Credit to Herding_cats for picking out a landmark such as a road sign or the 6th light pole up ahead and running to that. It isn't a long run, but it is enough to change muscle groups. I'll be doing more of that in the parts of the race where I'm doing more walking than running.

Caveats:
1. This is what worked for me: a guy in average shape and who still needs to lose some weight, and only had so much time allocated for training. I also preferred not to have injury concerns.
2. If you want to be running faster than what I describe below, then a Dopeybadger plan is probably the way to go. I also like the Galloway plan and its run/walk intervals, but I didn’t like the 10+ mile weekend runs. So in many respects, this is a modified Galloway plan with shorter runs on the weekend.

Why this worked for me:
1. I like to do my runs after work and I typically have about an hour to go run running before it starts getting dark, getting cold, or needing to deal with dinner, depending on the time of year. Three to four miles fits into this amount of time. 2023 Update: as my fitness has improved, I've stretched my neighborhood runs to 5 and 5.5 miles when I'm feeling it. I need to do more of this.
2. On the weekend, I like to take the time to go to the greenway, which is much flatter than my neighborhood route and has a lot of boardwalk which is much better for my joints. My long runs were usually 5 miles or so. Any longer than that, and I have to cross a major highway, so between that and time, 5-6 miles was my longest training distance. If you can work your way up to 10 miles, I say go for it.
2023 update: The training is paying dividends, as my long greenway runs are up to 9 miles, with the last mile still being strong.
3. Recovery time is practically nil. One issue with the Galloway method, based on forum comments, is the recovery time after the long runs. For all but my longest runs, I’m recovered by the next day. I had one stretch of really good weather where I was feeling fairly spry and managed three straight days of 3.5 – 3.6 miles. The morning of the 4th day, I was starting to feel it in my legs, but otherwise, no issues.
4. No injuries. I have friends who train hard and run insanely fast, but they are also more prone training injuries. So far, this has not been an issue for me.
5. The mental aspect: Looking at the Dopey races, my thoughts are that the 5K is what I do daily, and the 10k is what I can do on the weekend, both with no major issues. The half is then two 10Ks separated by a break for pictures in the MK; for a non-Disney half, I tell myself it is just two 10Ks and that I can do a 10K. For the full marathon, for me it is going to be about 40% running and 60% walking with plenty of breaks for photos and hydration. My only two marathons have been at Disney, but for a non-Disney marathon, it will still be alternating running and walking and just keep counting down the miles.
6. I’ve gone from needing frequent walk breaks to being able to go 5 and 6 miles without one. As noted elsewhere, my walk breaks in the half and full marathon were in conjunction with hydration.
7. My goal was to complete the Dopey while having fun and taking a lot of photos. If I want to set a PR, I can do it a lot easier and cheaper closer to home.

Hydration – I don’t drink anything while running in the afternoon or on the weekend; I hydrate right before and after. During the run, I’m typically letting a Mentos candy melt in my cheek. I get about 3 miles per piece of candy. During the half for the Dopey, I grabbed a cup of water once or twice. I usually let the water stop also be a walk interval (very useful when dealing with stupid plastic cups). For the marathon, I grabbed Powerade and/or water at most of the stops. For a summer race with heat in the 80’s or 90’s, I’ll grab some water during a 10k, but otherwise no. In the course of reading about fueling, I learned that most of the fuels, other than the Maurtens, require water to digest them. So if I'm taking in a Gu, for instance, I make sure to do it at or near a water stop and to take a drink of water with it.

Fuel – I have traditionally used fuel only during a full marathon. After reading some of Dopeybadger’s posts on fuel, I now see where it would be beneficial for a half, and (I think) I consumed either energy beans or a honey chew during the WDW half, and I think it helped. For the marathon, I didn’t consume any fuel until after the Magic Kingdom. I know that I consumed the Honey Chews they were handing out around mile 14, and I consumed a packet of Goo back (I think) around mile 12. And I definitely grabbed a chocolate bar when they were handing them out in Hollywood Studios; I wish I had grabbed a second one because, well, chocolate.
2023 update: After a very bad half in the late summer, I realized that I need to pay more attention to fuel and pre-race carb loading, especially since my normal diet is low-carb. In short: do the pre-race carb loading for a half or a full, and take fuel with me and take in a packet appx every 4 miles. I have a mix of Glukose, Gu, and Maurtens, plus fig newtons and some Tailwind for sipping prior to race start. I employed this for the MCM and the 2024 Goofy and things went much better for it. Lesson learned: fuel is non-trivial for longer races and needs to be planned for. @DopeyBadger has a lot of excellent links and information on this subject. It's well worth reading.

The results:
1. Over the past two years, I’ve dropped 15-19 pounds and would probably have dropped ten more already if I were better about tracking what I eat and avoiding temptation.
2. As mentioned, my first marathon was for the Goofy over ten years ago. Not only was I younger, I also trained for it, and with slightly longer runs than I did this time. I’ve trained with the HARM(TM) plan for the last 12 months (more diligently since last summer) and I can say for sure that I finished better and recovered better from the Dopey races 18 days ago. I went into the parks after every race except the full and had no issues. At the end of the half I surprised myself with how energetic I was feeling and how little I had walked during the half (almost none). As for MW recovery, I was ready for a regular 3.5 mile run 5 days after the Dopey,
3. I’ve seen my pace drop during my training runs from around 12min/mile back in the heat of of August down to around a 10 min/mile on average. I say that with the caveat that my weekly runs go through a creek bottom and thus have a good 100’ hill going out and again on the way back. If I go to a flat course, my average drops below 10min/mile. On Halloween I ran a 10K and finished with a 9:25 pace, my best in years. I am now looking for a half to see how close to 2 hours I can get.

2023 update: I recently completed the Marine Corps Marathon and the 2024 Goofy Challenge in a span of about 10 weeks, both using these same training habits. After the Goofy, I was back to training runs in 4 days.

Other comments:
1. Some people will look at what I’ve written and say that I’m at the point where I should be pushing myself more and improving my times. I agree, and as I get more weight off and get faster, I’ll increase the length of my training runs accordingly. However, this has been working for me to this point.
2. That said, regardless of anything else, I will always be somewhat lung-limited, plus my DNA says that I’m not going to get overly skinny, nor am I going to push my training to where I’m running 8-minute miles (at least I say that at the moment) because I have other stuff I’d like to do and my joints are getting older.

Last edited:
I think this is a great example of what we should all be doing.....that is find out what works for us individually. I enjoyed meeting you during marathon weekend, and frankly, I am surprised you did so well by running so few training miles. But you looked great, felt great, and were obviously enjoying yourself. You found what works for you, and for that you should be congratulated.

Although I rely on @DopeyBadger training plans, I have an unusual diet that works for me. It would probably be a disaster for most other people. I am an in control type 2 diabetic and eat virtually no carbs; maybe a serving or two of bread or rice or potato a week. Probably 80% of my calories come from meat, cheese, and nuts; a bit of a paleo diet heavy on protein and fat. Yet my A1C is under 5 and my total cholesterol is under 125. So my body has had to adapt to running on protein (fat?) and not on carbs. Carb loading for me is a piece of peanut butter toast the morning of the race. I also only have caffeine on race mornings drinking caffeine-free drinks otherwise.

But back to you, you have figured out how to complete Dopey with a big training week being under 20 miles total. I think that would be a disaster for many, but who knows. One question....would you consider your training runs to be at an "easy" pace? This may be another big difference in your approach as I'm guessing you are training at between 10K and HM pace. Again, many will tell you that is way too fast, but it works for you.

I am interested to here what others on the Board think and hope your post generates some good back and forth discussion. And just keep repeating "it may sound crazy to you but it works for me"

Last edited:
It’s great to see someone else who is a bit more lax on hydrating and fueling. My version of fuel during the 2 half marathon distances that I’ve done was Twizzler bits and water every 4-5 miles, and that was really just because I was hungry. Mostly, I just chew gum while I run and it keeps my mouth from drying out.

I think this is a great example of what we should all be doing.....that is find out what works for us individually. I enjoyed meeting you during marathon weekend, and frankly, I am surprised you did so well by running so few training miles. But you looked great, felt great, and were obviously enjoying yourself. You found what works for you, and for that you should be congratulated.

Although I rely on @DopeyBadger training plans, I have an unusual diet that works for me. It would probably be a disaster for most other people. I am an in control type 2 diabetic and eat virtually no carbs; maybe a serving or two of bread or rice or potato a week. Probably 80% of my calories come from meat, cheese, and nuts; a bit of a paleo diet heavy on protein and fat. Yet my A1C is under 5 and my total cholesterol is under 125. So my body has had to adapt to running on protein (fat?) and not on carbs. Carb loading for me is a piece of peanut butter toast the morning of the race. I also only have caffeine on race mornings drinking caffeine-free drinks otherwise.

But back to you, you have figured out how to complete Dopey with a big training week being under 20 miles total. I think that would be a disaster for many, but who knows. One question....would you consider your training runs to be at an "easy" pace? This may be another big difference in your approach as I'm guessing you are training at between 10K and HM pace. Again, many will tell you that is way too fast, but it works for you.

I am interested to here what others on the Board think and hope your post generates some good back and forth discussion. And just keep repeating "it may sound crazy to you but it works for me"
Thank you for the kind words, and I enjoyed meeting you and everyone else from the forum in person.
I need to get my carbs down even more and my cholesterol down more, so I need to be more paleo than I am now. Wife and I are both working on this.

My neighborhood training runs are usually at a medium pace. Even when I say to myself that this will be an easy run, it winds up below 11 minutes. I see this as a good thing, in that my "easy" pace keeps getting faster, and my routine runs keep getting a little longer. Looking at my spreadsheet, my first run after Dopey was 3.7 miles at 11:02 pace, and the next runs were 10:49 and 10:21. Today was 10:31. Right now the weather is around 50 and if I push it, my asthma will act up, so I'm kind of in a maintenance mode. If I head out to the greenway next week when it will be warmer, I'll definitely up the pace and be running less than 10/mile.

I have a buddy who runs maybe 2 or 3 miles on a treadmill, but he does it at such a fast pace that he is fairly spent when he is done (according to him). For my regular runs, I don't want to spend the evening wheezing and coughing, so I pace myself accordingly. The half I want to do is early May and as the weather warms I'll start pushing more during training runs. I have a 5k coming up in mid March and I'll be pushing it. It has an ugly hill that isn't suited for a PR but we'll see how it goes. Plus, I'll have my teen son along and I'd really like to finish ahead of him...

Thanks for sharing. A few questions for you for clarification.

On Halloween I ran a 10K and finished with a 9:25 pace, my best in years.

So based on this, I'm calculating the following:

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.44.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.44.09 AM.png

Looking at my spreadsheet, my first run after Dopey was 3.7 miles at 11:02 pace, and the next runs were 10:49 and 10:21. Today was 10:31.

And you're doing your weekday paces around 10:30-11:02 min/mile which looks to be around Marathon to Long Run. So not quite easy, but definitely not hard either. Especially with a low volume. The research I've read would have pegged you as doing around 9:27-9:50 pace, so you're going slower than most recreational runners who don't pay attention to certain paces comparatively speaking when comparing effort levels.

1. I like to do my runs after work and I typically have about an hour to go run running before it starts getting dark, getting cold, or needing to deal with dinner, depending on the time of year. Three to four miles fits into this amount of time.

I'm assuming this hour includes getting ready and such. Because 3-4 miles at around 10-11 min/mile would take 30-44 min, not 60 min. So you're getting about 2-3 hrs of running on weekdays? And then at what pace do you usually do your 5-6 mile runs, and thus what duration does it take to complete?

If you did do 10 mile LRs at your fitness level, that would be about 1:50 hrs. Maybe a little less than I would recommend, but we're not that far off from each other there. I would say 13 miles (150 min).

2. In between the daily runs, do brisk walks, bicycle riding, swimming, or other cross training. Get in your 10,000 steps or the equivalent.

How consistent are you with these other cross training activities on your non-running days? What's the volume of walks/cycling/swimming in terms of duration and effort?

There are some key differences, but this sounds similar to the FIRST method. With three days per week running, and then cross training on the other days of the week. The volume of the long run is definitely lower than the FIRST method though.

5. The mental aspect: Looking at the Dopey races, my thoughts are that the 5K is what I do daily, and the 10k is what I can do on the weekend, both with no major issues. The half is then two 10Ks separated by a break for pictures in the MK; for a non-Disney half, I tell myself it is just two 10Ks and that I can do a 10K. For the full marathon, for me it is going to be about 40% running and 60% walking with plenty of breaks for photos and hydration. My only two marathons have been at Disney, but for a non-Disney marathon, it will still be alternating running and walking and just keep counting down the miles.

So to then put the Dopey races in terms of perspective of where your 58 min 10k fitness is, what was your time for each of the four races? It would see you have a lot of room in slower paces on race day from your maximum current fitness levels. Thus, making it feasible for your lower running volume plan to be successful for such an endeavor for you.

This isn't too far off what I did for my training for the Dopey and what I usually always do. Tuesday through Friday I will usually run 3-4 miles during my lunch break. Saturday morning will be about a 5 mile run. Sunday is an 8-10 mile run. Monday is rest day. Time is the main reason why I don't do much beyond this. In the evenings and weekend afternoons I am usually doing baseball workouts with my son. So it's get in runs when I can and still be able to do the baseball workouts later on.

Last edited:

View attachment 642637

View attachment 642638

And you're doing your weekday paces around 10:30-11:02 min/mile which looks to be around Marathon to Long Run. So not quite easy, but definitely not hard either. Especially with a low volume. The research I've read would have pegged you as doing around 9:27-9:50 pace, so you're going slower than most recreational runners who don't pay attention to certain paces comparatively speaking when comparing effort levels.

I'm assuming this hour includes getting ready and such. Because 3-4 miles at around 10-11 min/mile would take 30-44 min, not 60 min. So you're getting about 2-3 hrs of running on weekdays? And then at what pace do you usually do your 5-6 mile runs, and thus what duration does it take to complete?

If you did do 10 mile LRs at your fitness level, that would be about 1:50 hrs. Maybe a little less than I would recommend, but we're not that far off from each other there. I would say 13 miles (150 min).

How consistent are you with these other cross training activities on your non-running days? What's the volume of walks/cycling/swimming in terms of duration and effort?

There are some key differences, but this sounds similar to the FIRST method. With three days per week running, and then cross training on the other days of the week. The volume of the long run is definitely lower than the FIRST method though.

So to then put the Dopey races in terms of perspective of where your 58 min 10k fitness is, what was your time for each of the four races? It would see you have a lot of room in slower paces on race day from your maximum current fitness levels. Thus, making it feasible for your lower running volume plan to be successful for such an endeavor for you.
Did you ever feel like you had a test that you didn't study for?
;-)

No quick answers to your questions. I'll have to get back on this after I think a bit.

It’s great to see someone else who is a bit more lax on hydrating and fueling. My version of fuel during the 2 half marathon distances that I’ve done was Twizzler bits and water every 4-5 miles, and that was really just because I was hungry. Mostly, I just chew gum while I run and it keeps my mouth from drying out.
I think compared to a lot of folks here, I am on the high side of fueling during races and long runs. I get hypoglycemic pretty easily and regular fueling has made a night and day difference in how long runs and races feel. I use gu predominately and use it every 35-40 mins, usually works out to around 4 miles between. During races, I roughly time it to aid stations b/c traffic tends to slow a little and I can use that natural slow down to take my own fuel even if I am not personally using the aid station. I also usually carry most of my own water.
I used to chew gum but over the years I have gotten to the point that I don't notice the dry mouth anymore. Or maybe I am better hydrated now.

@Mr_Incr3dible It is interesting To see the variety of what works for different folks. Personally, even if I could physically get by on that low mileage, I think mentally it would be very taxing to not have more training under my belt. I can definitely appreciate how the look of training changes as people age, the goals of running/racing evolve, and injury prevention moves even higher up the list of goals. Your plan definitely seems like something that people could keep up long-term and cut down on injuries.

View attachment 642637

View attachment 642638

Responses in order:

1. Thanks for the charts. My response to those are that:
a. The 9:25 10K was on a fast course with great (for me) weather, but I would like for it to become more of my new normal, not just in optimal conditions.
b. The 9:02 5K is a good target. Will my lungs let me breathe hard enough to do that? Unknown at this time, but it's a goal. I'll need to pick a warmer day and head to the greenway to see how close I am to that already. As Barney Simpson would say, "Challenge accepted".
c. My weekday paces would be below 10 min/mile but for the two hills that are appx a 115-foot rise in each direction. That is why I distinguish between neighborhood times and greenway times. Getting to/from the greenway is about 20 minutes each way or else I'd be there more often.

2. Yes my roughly 1-hour block includes time to go change, warm-up walk, cool down. An hour is approximate; sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

3. My longer runs on the greenway seem to be around a 9:40 - 9:45 pace for 5 to 6 miles, according to my log.

4. My off days have been just the brisk walking; usually about 3 miles of 16 min/mile walking. Sometimes it is date night with the wife and I'm a total slacker. I haven't managed any bicycling in a while and I am a very slow swimmer, so that is mostly a suggestion for those who do swim.

My Dopey times:
5K 43:25
10K 1:28
half 2:43
full 6:28

I didn't stand in many 20 minute lines, other than a longish one for the castle and for Dopey himself, but I did do some character lines, took plenty of other photos and deliberately didn't push myself on any of first three races, especially the 5 or 10k.
As I've said before, I'll push for PRs in other races, not at Disney.

I have a 5k in March, albeit one with a big hill, but I'll be pushing in order to finish ahead of my teen son, and a half in May. We'll see how those go and I'll report back.

DH also had what might be considered non-conventional training for a successful Dopey. Race goals were to finish, stop for characters, and have fun. It was kind of the opposite of what you described! He only ran once or twice a week.

- No week day runs
- A long run on most weekends in Nov and Dec
- some weekends 6-10 miles on Saturday and longer runs on Sunday
- long runs... 4 15-milers, 2 18-ers, and 1 20-miler
- no injuries
- could easily walk the day after marathon

I think its a great example of how different training approaches can work for different people!

Appreciate the responses @Mr_Incr3dible.

c. My weekday paces would be below 10 min/mile but for the two hills that are appx a 115-foot rise in each direction. That is why I distinguish between neighborhood times and greenway times. Getting to/from the greenway is about 20 minutes each way or else I'd be there more often.
3. My longer runs on the greenway seem to be around a 9:40 - 9:45 pace for 5 to 6 miles, according to my log.

This makes more sense. If the weekdays hills are 115 each direction and you do it something like 2-3 time per run, you're probably doing something like 60-75ft per mile on average? Without knowing the steepness, I would guess something on the order of 10-20 sec/mile grade adjusted pace effect for the run overall. So your 10:30-11 is more like 10:10-10:40 effort pace matched to flat.

And your LR pace is more like other recreational runners with self selection in that you're doing something close to LT to HM Tempo.

4. My off days have been just the brisk walking; usually about 3 miles of 16 min/mile walking. Sometimes it is date night with the wife and I'm a total slacker. I haven't managed any bicycling in a while and I am a very slow swimmer, so that is mostly a suggestion for those who do swim.

Which isn't quite in the Tinman "easy is still useful as long as it is faster than 5k pace + 5min" (14 min/mile for you). So those off days walks are close to a maximally slow easy day run day per his data set.

So you're doing something close to 2.5 hrs per week of running + 2-3 hrs of almost slow easy running. So something like 4.5-5 hrs per week of training. Does that sound about right?

My Dopey times:
5K 43:25
10K 1:28
half 2:43
full 6:28

I'd venture to guess this is a key to a success of the method for your Dopey completion. Your maximal current fitness level times are:

5k- 28:03
10k- 58:28
HM- 2:09
M- 4:29

Which means each of your Dopey races were the following % off from maximal effort:

5k- 54%
10k- 51%
HM- 26%
M- 44%

You running and taking breaks for pictures/fun dropped your overall effort level far below maximal. So the question would be at what fitness level would someone not be able to replicate what you did for their own fitness level and still be able to finish the races in time? As in, one of the reasons the lower than normal volume of training may have worked for you is because your fitness level is in the Top 10-20% of all Disney MW runners based on old POT submission standards. Could someone whose HM fitness level is a 2:45 instead of a 2:09 also be able to pull off 30-45 min 3x per weekday running, and a 50-60 min max LR on the weekend? At similar effort levels to yours, their midweek runs would be 2-3 miles and their weekend run would be 4-5 miles. But on race weekend, they'd be doing (using the same increase from maximal effort):

5k - 55:43 (17:55)
10k - 1:52:53 (18:09)
HM - 3:28:29 (15:54)
M - 8:16:11 (18:55)

Based on where they start, the first three races aren't completely unreasonable as being able to finish before being swept. But the M could be a huge issue. This 2:45 runner would have to put in much more effort on their M than you did in order to finish. And that begs the question as to whether they could increase their effort and finish. It's an unknown. It's possible.

It's an interesting method. We're closer than you think in terms of training theory. While your midweek runs are faster than I would recommend, when viewed in the prism of being your hard runs and your brisk walks actually being close to your maximally slow easy pace, it's not that far off then. My advice is typically minimal of 5-6 hrs per week in peak week for M/Dopey runners, and I like to see the LR get up to at least 120 min (but at a slower pace than the effort you do yours in). Which isn't all that far from what it sounds like you were doing (minus the 120 min).

Ultimately, I'm a fan of run training theory and always enjoy reading strategies. As most would agree, there's no one method that works for everyone. So seeing these intricacies in people's methodology is always interesting to me to dig through and try to learn more and how it could apply to others.

Based on where they start, the first three races aren't completely unreasonable as being able to finish before being swept. But the M could be a huge issue. This 2:45 runner would have to put in much more effort on their M than you did in order to finish. And that begs the question as to whether they could increase their effort and finish. It's an unknown. It's possible.
I think this would be what would happen to me if I tried this plan. I could get through the first three days but would still be unable to finish the marathon. Maybe I could physically finish it but probably not without getting swept.
In between the daily runs, do brisk walks, bicycle riding, swimming, or other cross training. Get in your 10,000 steps or the equivalent.
This is what I really need to work on. On days where I don’t have planned running or walking I will only walk like 3,000 steps and be very sedentary. That needs to be improved.

Appreciate the responses @Mr_Incr3dible.

This makes more sense. If the weekdays hills are 115 each direction and you do it something like 2-3 time per run, you're probably doing something like 60-75ft per mile on average? Without knowing the steepness, I would guess something on the order of 10-20 sec/mile grade adjusted pace effect for the run overall. So your 10:30-11 is more like 10:10-10:40 effort pace matched to flat.

And your LR pace is more like other recreational runners with self selection in that you're doing something close to LT to HM Tempo.

Which isn't quite in the Tinman "easy is still useful as long as it is faster than 5k pace + 5min" (14 min/mile for you). So those off days walks are close to a maximally slow easy day run day per his data set.

So you're doing something close to 2.5 hrs per week of running + 2-3 hrs of almost slow easy running. So something like 4.5-5 hrs per week of training. Does that sound about right?

I'd venture to guess this is a key to a success of the method for your Dopey completion. Your maximal current fitness level times are:

5k- 28:03
10k- 58:28
HM- 2:09
M- 4:29

Which means each of your Dopey races were the following % off from maximal effort:

5k- 54%
10k- 51%
HM- 26%
M- 44%

You running and taking breaks for pictures/fun dropped your overall effort level far below maximal. So the question would be at what fitness level would someone not be able to replicate what you did for their own fitness level and still be able to finish the races in time? As in, one of the reasons the lower than normal volume of training may have worked for you is because your fitness level is in the Top 10-20% of all Disney MW runners based on old POT submission standards. Could someone whose HM fitness level is a 2:45 instead of a 2:09 also be able to pull off 30-45 min 3x per weekday running, and a 50-60 min max LR on the weekend? At similar effort levels to yours, their midweek runs would be 2-3 miles and their weekend run would be 4-5 miles. But on race weekend, they'd be doing (using the same increase from maximal effort):

5k - 55:43 (17:55)
10k - 1:52:53 (18:09)
HM - 3:28:29 (15:54)
M - 8:16:11 (18:55)

It's an interesting method. We're closer than you think in terms of training theory. While your midweek runs are faster than I would recommend, when viewed in the prism of being your hard runs and your brisk walks actually being close to your maximally slow easy pace, it's not that far off then. My advice is typically minimal of 5-6 hrs per week in peak week for M/Dopey runners, and I like to see the LR get up to at least 120 min (but at a slower pace than the effort you do yours in). Which isn't all that far from what it sounds like you were doing (minus the 120 min).

Ultimately, I'm a fan of run training theory and always enjoy reading strategies. As most would agree, there's no one method that works for everyone. So seeing these intricacies in people's methodology is always interesting to me to dig through and try to learn more and how it could apply to others.

> We're closer than you think in terms of training theory.
That was my conclusion as well.
> As in, one of the reasons the lower than normal volume of training may have worked for you is because your fitness level is in the Top 10-20% of all Disney MW runners based on old POT submission standards.
It is?! Woo-hoo! [Does happy dance down the hall]

> Based on where they start, the first three races aren't completely unreasonable as being able to finish before being swept. But the M could be a huge issue. This 2:45 runner would have to put in much more effort on their M than you did in order to finish. And that begs the question as to whether they could increase their effort and finish. It's an unknown. It's possible.

I can offer this: I saw the balloon ladies at the beginning of the 5K because I was tardy in getting into the corral and was near the back (because I was in the last corral thanks to the RD seeding this year), but did not see them after that for the 5k.

For the full, I was in the forward 1/3 of the last corral, but as quickly as they released the corrals, being in corral 4 or 5 would have made (I think) only 5 or ten minutes difference in terms of being in front of the balloon ladies. As for staying ahead of the balloon ladies, we passed each other at mile 18.5 where we exit AK and rejoin the 2-way part of the route. If I do my math correctly, that gave me a cushion of approximately 3 miles and 48-50 minutes. Closer than I care for, and part of why I didn't make an attempt to do ToT, but it is also motivation to try for a better qualifying time for future races. FWIW, if I had cut out the picture taking that I did, and pausing to drink at the water stops, it probably would have been a 6 to 6:10:00 marathon for me instead of 6:28.

BTW, thanks for the thoughtful discussion and analysis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter