Harry Potter- Wizarding World FAQ

Sry having computer problems, but I'll just continue:

3. When we were there one of the attendants made fun with me to another prefect at the site of a Disney key to the world in my wallet. She said, "I guess he doesn't know we are going to be making a Knockturn Alley in the next couple of years. Maybe he'll stay at universal then?" I don't know if this is common knowledge, but it was a hint I remember her dropping.

That is very interesting. I hope this turns out to be true, I am already awaiting an expansion. :woohoo:

I know it is here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...
What is the fastest route to the WWoHP?
Please help! We leave on Sunday.

I know it is here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...
What is the fastest route to the WWoHP?
Please help! We leave on Sunday.

Enter the park until you come to the lake. Hang a right towards Seuss. At entry to Seuss, hang a left and go between the lake and Green Eggs and Ham. Follow that path kinda along the water until it ends on other side of Seuss at footbridge to the left into Lost Continent. Go through LC until WWoHP.

Enter the park until you come to the lake. Hang a right towards Seuss. At entry to Seuss, hang a left and go between the lake and Green Eggs and Ham. Follow that path kinda along the water until it ends on other side of Seuss at footbridge to the left into Lost Continent. Go through LC until WWoHP.

Fantastic. Thank you! :banana:

1. Beware of the lockers @ WWOHP. I think after about 3-4 hours they charge you the full day rate for a locker which is $20. When you go in to get something, the locker won't let you re-close/lock it so then you have to get another locker and the rates start all over again. I had to pay $40 for lockers for the day....REDICULOUS! I don't know if getting lockers @ the front of the park is any better, but I assume it would be b/c, as in real estate, I have a feeling that you are paying more for the lockers inside the WWOHP.
That's awful that you paid so much for lockers for one day! However, the lockers by the listed attractions aren't intended for all-day use, only for use while you're experiencing the attraction. There are lockers at IOA other than those at the entrance/exit of the rides. I didn't have need of them so am not sure where they are located, but someone here will know. This is from the Universal Orlando website regarding lockers at US and IOA:

Lockers are available within each of the theme parks for guest rental for $8.00 per day, with family size lockers available at Universal Studios Florida for $10.00 per day. Guests have unlimited access to these lockers during the course of the day. Additional lockers are available at Universal's Islands of Adventure® for $2.00 per hour, with a $14.00 per day maximum.

These lockers are available at the entrance of the following attractions:
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster®
- Dragon Challenge™
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™
- Jurassic Park River Adventure®
- Revenge of the Mummy®
- MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack™

NOTE: The lockers at The Incredible Hulk Coaster and Dragon Challenge™ are free for at least the first 45 minutes (time may vary - check with the individual attractions for specific length of time).

The last paragraph appears to be out of date as when I was there three weeks ago I found the lockers for all of the attractions listed above to be free for a certain period of time. That time varies depending on the wait time for the attraction. For example, if the wait time is an hour the lockers will be free for 90 minutes, perhaps a little longer. As the wait time lengthens or shortens, so does the time that the lockers are free. The lockers by the listed attractions aren't intended for all-day use, only for use while you're experiencing the attraction.

2. Get there early. When we went we were coming from MEARS transportation (which I highly recommend BTW) and got there about an hour before park opening. The people staying at universal got to go in an hour earlier. When we got in we ran to WWOHP and there was already a line (they don't let more than a certain amount of people in at one time. But then later in the day the guards at the entrances weren't there, so I guess later in the day this restriction isn't made to the capacity of the WWOHP.
You were there last August, a very busy time as WWoHP was still very new. I was there this past June 17 (the official start of the busy / summer season) and June 18 (the celebration of WWoHP's one-year anniversary) and, while busy, they never had need to close off that area of IOA due to capacity crowds.

3. When we were there one of the attendants made fun with me to another prefect at the site of a Disney key to the world in my wallet. She said, "I guess he doesn't know we are going to be making a Knockturn Alley in the next couple of years. Maybe he'll stay at universal then?" I don't know if this is common knowledge, but it was a hint I remember her dropping.
Would be wonderful if they are already making plans to expand. We loved WWoHP but can see that they need to add more, especially to help disperse the crowds a bit. Even in the evenings I found the stores to be claustrophobic.

Thank you! Which route to WWoHP will the masses be taking?

The last paragraph appears to be out of date as when I was there three weeks ago I found the lockers for all of the attractions listed above to be free for a certain period of time. That time varies depending on the wait time for the attraction. For example, if the wait time is an hour the lockers will be free for 90 minutes, perhaps a little longer. As the wait time lengthens or shortens, so does the time that the lockers are free. The lockers by the listed attractions aren't intended for all-day use, only for use while you're experiencing the attraction.
We were there in September 2010 and they were free in WWOHP and Hulk (at least) for a certain amount of time, dependent upon the wait. Our problem was that the crowds were so low and we were staying onsite, so we could go to the front of the line at Hulk, and we rode it about 5 times in a row, then owed some money when we got back to the locker.

The last time we went to Universal was in 2006, before the Harry Potter addition.
My son & I (he is 16), have not watched any of the Harry Potter Movies or read any of the books, but we are still excited about the new addition.

Do you think we need to at least watch the first movie of Harry Potter to at least appreciate the ambiance, ride, & castle? Since neither he or I have any idea of what a hogwart or butterbeer is? :)

:santa::santa::santa:

The last time we went to Universal was in 2006, before the Harry Potter addition.
My son & I (he is 16), have not watched any of the Harry Potter Movies or read any of the books, but we are still excited about the new addition.

Do you think we need to at least watch the first movie of Harry Potter to at least appreciate the ambiance, ride, & castle? Since neither he or I have any idea of what a hogwart or butterbeer is? :)

:santa::santa::santa:

Maybe watch the first one, especially if you are interested in doing Ollivander's. Must you? No, but it can't hurt.

We will be visiting US/IoA September 1st - 3rd. We will be staying onsite at Portofino.

This will be our first visit to WWoHP. My oldest son is a HUGE Potter fan. We will do the early admission to WWoHP at least one morning.

I'm trying to determine our touring plan. I know FOTL is not available for FJ so should we ride FJ first and then go to Ollivanders or go to Ollivanders first and then ride FJ :confused3?

After we do these two, what should we do next?

Thanks!

do ollivanders first so you have a shorter wait time.
it's a small shop and limited to maybe 20 or so in there at a time.

the line only gets longer as the day goes on.

then do FJ.
you could both get in the single rider line and cut the wait time for the regular line.

then do FJ.
you could both get in the single rider line and cut the wait time for the regular line.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :hug:

That is just the information I was looking for. I've been a huge fan of the tourningplans dot com over the years I've been feeling lost and overwhelmed staying at Portofino Bay and Universal for the first time this August.

Where would you go after FJ? My DD's are 13 and 12 and have no problem in the single rider lines.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :hug:

That is just the information I was looking for. I've been a huge fan of the tourningplans dot com over the years I've been feeling lost and overwhelmed staying at Portofino Bay and Universal for the first time this August.

Where would you go after FJ? My DD's are 13 and 12 and have no problem in the single rider lines.

After macraven's suggestion--with which I completely agree--of O's and FJ, I would then hit all the shops. They are small and will get crowded fast too. Either arrange to have your purchases sent to the front of the park or even your room, freeing you of toting stuff around all day. The last significant things in WWoHP are Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff, both of which will be easy-peasy at any time of day since you're onsite and they take Express. Then leave WWoHP at your leisure and explore the rest of IoA however you want. With the exception of Pteranadon Flyers, every other attraction in IoA takes Express.

if you are potter fans, the boys might want to see the two different outside shows that are put on.

i watched one of them last year.
the singing one.
it was good.

the one with the fight technics, meh for me.

talk to the train conductor, have a pic done with him, the engine and your boys.
do this early before it gets crowded.
if not, you will have 45 cousins in the picture with youse..

do the castle tour so you can take your time and do pictures.
do the single rider line for FJ.
do the line from the beginning at the start of the day.
try all 3 ways.

only thing i can add on to mesaboy2's comments is to use the restroom and listen to myrtle.

you will enjoy your time there!
i know you will have fun.

This FAQ is brilliant! I can't believe I've only JUST found it! I'm going to WWOHP on my trip that is in 5 days, and I cannot wait!!!! :yay:

then do FJ.

After macraven's suggestion--with which I completely agree--of O's and FJ, I would then hit all the shops. They are small and will get crowded fast too. Either arrange to have your purchases sent to the front of the park or even your room, freeing you of toting stuff around all day. The last significant things in WWoHP are Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff, both of which will be easy-peasy at any time of day since you're onsite and they take Express. Then leave WWoHP at your leisure and explore the rest of IoA however you want. With the exception of Pteranadon Flyers, every other attraction in IoA takes Express.

if you are potter fans, the boys might want to see the two different outside shows that are put on.

i watched one of them last year.
the singing one.
it was good.

the one with the fight technics, meh for me.

talk to the train conductor, have a pic done with him, the engine and your boys.
do this early before it gets crowded.
if not, you will have 45 cousins in the picture with youse..

do the castle tour so you can take your time and do pictures.
do the single rider line for FJ.
do the line from the beginning at the start of the day.
try all 3 ways.

only thing i can add on to mesaboy2's comments is to use the restroom and listen to myrtle.

you will enjoy your time there!
i know you will have fun.

Thank you both for all of your suggestions!

Could give me some insight on exactly what Ollivander's is all about? Its a store, right? We are 2 adults and 3 teens so not really into purchasing souvenirs...but is there something more to this place that we would not want to miss it? We will be onsite (late Aug) so will be waiting at the gates before the hour early entry, but won't the lines to FJ be building while we are at Ollivander's?

Also, what I remember from our trip to Universal many years ago was what a pain the lockers were. The fingerprint thing never seemed to work. For FJ, would I need to lock up my very small mini cross body pouch? Rather than taking the time to do that before FJ, on that day should we risk not taking our usual stuff and only carry tickets in pockets...since we are on site and can go back to room for break?

Thanks!

Could give me some insight on exactly what Ollivander's is all about? Its a store, right? We are 2 adults and 3 teens so not really into purchasing souvenirs...but is there something more to this place that we would not want to miss it? We will be onsite (late Aug) so will be waiting at the gates before the hour early entry, but won't the lines to FJ be building while we are at Ollivander's?

Also, what I remember from our trip to Universal many years ago was what a pain the lockers were. The fingerprint thing never seemed to work. For FJ, would I need to lock up my very small mini cross body pouch? Rather than taking the time to do that before FJ, on that day should we risk not taking our usual stuff and only carry tickets in pockets...since we are on site and can go back to room for break?

Thanks!

Ollivander's is not the wand shop per se--that point is often muddled on here. You know the scene in Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone where Harry gets his wand? Ollivander's is a reenactment of that scene, with one of the guests as Harry. About 20-25 people at a time are let in, and it takes maybe 6 minutes or so for each group. You cannot buy a thing at Ollivander's.

At the end of the show, the group will then dump out into the Owl Post shop where you can purchase wands, or not purchase them. The Owl Post is connected to another shop called Dervish & Banges, so you can access the wand shop through D&B's if you wish. Sometimes there are lines to get into the stores. (Yes, you read that right. ;))

If you are interested in seeing Ollivander's at all, go there first, especially if you have early entry. The line builds quickly, even more quickly than FJ. Also, FJ's queue is at least interesting, whereas Ollivander's is just waiting outside in the heat. IMO, the show is worth a 45-minute wait at most if you've never seen it, and maybe a 30-minute wait if you have. It is cute, but not jaw-dropping.

I don't know if your particular bag will be allowed or not, but my guess is no. The only thing I've heard allowed on are fanny packs. If you don't want to mess with the lockers, leave it behind or leave it with a non-rider. Otherwise, you're looking at the locker line, which can be particularly long for FJ.

I hope this is the right place to ask this. In your opinion, how much spending money do you think I need to take? I'm not looking to purchase any big ticket items like robes etc, but I am drooling over everything else in the online shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter