Has anybody NOT had a disappointing trip lately?

But work pays you to be there, so that's not really a fair comparison.
I am not paid to be there, that's a big assumption on your part. while I have attended a conference there on 2 occasions, my employer has only paid for a room, and the cost of the conference, I pay for my own park admission, as well as food during conferences, I am not paid hourly to be there at the conference, and if my stay is any longer than the conference I pay for any extra nights. This coming September I am paying for my own lodging the entire trip as well so work is only covering the conference fee. I have also visited the world on several other trips that had nothing to do with a conference, including a trip coming in February of 2016, so it's a very fair comparison.

You said this:
I say a bad day at a Disney park is better than a good day at work. Some things vary from trip to trip, and yes there is probably a downward trend in a lot of the areas mentioned, but trip after trip, you and I are shelling out the money, because we love the good that is still there. I hope that the trend begins to turn around soon, before it's no longer the place that we fell in love with.
and someone replied with:

I really don't understand your response:
I am not paid to be there, that's a big assumption on your part. while I have attended a conference there on 2 occasions, my employer has only paid for a room, and the cost of the conference, I pay for my own park admission, as well as food during conferences, I am not paid hourly to be there at the conference, and if my stay is any longer than the conference I pay for any extra nights. This coming September I am paying for my own lodging the entire trip as well so work is only covering the conference fee. I have also visited the world on several other trips that had nothing to do with a conference, including a trip coming in February of 2016, so it's a very fair comparison.
What are you trying to say?

We went to the Poly for the first time ever. Even with the construction, we were very happy that we didn't listen to the gloom and doom of the regular visitors. We had a great time, and want to return when we don't have a large group with us that won't be able to afford the stay there.

My worst day at Disney was rainy, crowded and hot, I did have blisters, but I was surrounded by my family. I still made memories with them that will last my lifetime, my grandmother who now has althiemers, and dementia was with us, but was still herself, my son was tiny, but we have pictures from that same day of him with his great grandmother, that mean the world to me. I do have two jobs, one being at a school, the kids there are great, but I wouldn't trade that day in hot rainy Florida for any day at the school. My other job at the church the comparison may not be as good, there are amazing things that God does through the ministry there, those things are better than a good day at Disney.

I was explaining that I'm not paid to be there.
mom2rtk was saying that work pays you to be at work. She was not suggesting that work pays you to be at WDW. The sentiment being that one should be willing to put up with a less than thrilling time while on the job because at the end of the day, you get paid. One should be less willing to tolerate a less than thrilling time when they are actually paying to be there.

I agree with some PPs opinions, that perhaps complaints get posted more then the good! But I think that in specific threads, such as resort threads, trip reports etc theres are so many positive comments and examples of magic.

Personally, we were in WDW Jan 27th- Feb 4th and we have so many great experiences. Just my fiancé and I. We loved POFQ and found the staff there to be fabulous. Our first day we couldn't get into our room, magic bands not working, and had to make many trips back to the front desk. But they directed me to another cast member that fixed the problem, walked me back to the room to make sure it was fixed (and it was) and gave us each two extra fast passes (which we used for 7DMT!). We were very happy.

Not all CMs were overjoyed to help us throughout the trip, but many were. From character handlers to bus stop attendants there were many great people working for Disney and glad to be there. It was more crowded then we expected, and tour groups from other countries and cheer teams as well. We avoided them when we could or when it was necessary but there was never an extremely annoying moment with them.

I am a pin trader, and a Chip and Dale collector and through out the trip wore my chip and dale pins on a custom lanyard in all the parks. It was really fun and many of the CMs loved them, as well as other guests. We were in AK on afternoon by Rafiki's Planet Watch and the line for Chip and Dale wasn't long so my fiancé said to jump in for a picture. I did, and when it was my turn the CM noticed my lanyard and pins and commented that there was a C&D fan coming up. The chipmunks went nuts, lol, checking out my pins and posing to match different pins. They pulled over the guitar player that was hanging around nearby and got him to sing a song about me, there was dancing and it was so much fun. I'm 29, and I couldn't believe that they would go out of their way to have so much fun with me and make some serious magic. It made my trip and a memory I won't soon forget... :flower3:

Our November trip was the best one we've had in the past 5 years! I think a lot of it had to do with OUR moods, honestly…

We did Hoop Dee Doo Review for the first time and had a blast! We did the MVMCP and those are some of the best memories we have ever made on a family vacation. Made a last minute switch to stay at the AKL, which is our favorite, and absolutely did not regret it. It is so peaceful there. The weather was FREEZING and raining and yucky, but we still found a way to just sit back and enjoy ourselves. We stopped quite often for hot chocolate (which was the highlight of my 4 and 5 year old's trip) and just let them run the vacation. They could care less about what we have a FP+ for or if we got one for BOG! (which we did not).

People can always find something to complain about, and those people suck. You are at WDW, for goodness sake. Be a kid and enjoy life!

Our November trip was the best one we've had in the past 5 years! I think a lot of it had to do with OUR moods, honestly…

We did Hoop Dee Doo Review for the first time and had a blast! We did the MVMCP and those are some of the best memories we have ever made on a family vacation. Made a last minute switch to stay at the AKL, which is our favorite, and absolutely did not regret it. It is so peaceful there. The weather was FREEZING and raining and yucky, but we still found a way to just sit back and enjoy ourselves. We stopped quite often for hot chocolate (which was the highlight of my 4 and 5 year old's trip) and just let them run the vacation. They could care less about what we have a FP+ for or if we got one for BOG! (which we did not).

People can always find something to complain about, and those people suck. You are at WDW, for goodness sake. Be a kid and enjoy life!

I always believe it is a much different experience watching it through child eyes :) My 7yo little girl (first trip) was in complete amazement and over the moon almost the whole trip.. that alone was worth it.

If you've never been, then go. Then you can decide if its worth it to visit again.

I think alot of the disappointment comes from people who have been to Disney hundreds of times since its opened almost 45 years ago... Is it the same Disney it was back then? Probably not, I wouldn't know. If you're going for the first time, then you don't really have much to compare it to other than stories of yesteryear from other DIS posters. We didn't take vacations when I was a kid, so I've only experienced Disney as an adult, with the new systems.

I guess what I'm saying is, because I never knew Disney the way alot of the other DIS veterans have, what I deem as an excellent experience may not seem that way to someone who has been a Disney regular for decades.

If you've never been, then go. Then you can decide if its worth it to visit again.

I think alot of the disappointment comes from people who have been to Disney hundreds of times since its opened almost 45 years ago... Is it the same Disney it was back then? Probably not, I wouldn't know. If you're going for the first time, then you don't really have much to compare it to other than stories of yesteryear from other DIS posters. We didn't take vacations when I was a kid, so I've only experienced Disney as an adult, with the new systems.

I guess what I'm saying is, because I never knew Disney the way alot of the other DIS veterans have, what I deem as an excellent experience may not seem that way to someone who has been a Disney regular for decades.
I really don't think it's fair to assume that the reason someone is disappointed in WDW is because they've gone hundreds of times. Just as I think it's unfair to assume that people who are currently happy with their experience, don't know any better.

I think all any of us can do is speak for ourselves.

Any thing I would consider to be disappointing is not related to anything Disney had control over. I was disappointed that we missed the Osborne lights and Fantasmic but it had rained that day and DD was tired.

I really don't think it's fair to assume that the reason someone is disappointed in WDW is because they've gone hundreds of times. Just as I think it's unfair to assume that people who are currently happy with their experience, don't know any better.

I think all any of us can do is speak for ourselves.

I didn't assume or say it was because you've been a hundred times that's why you're disappointed. Its clear from reading through numerous threads all over the DIS that as great as Disney is now, people think that Disney used to be held to a higher standard.

I'm also not saying that anyone who has had an excellent experience is because they dont know any better. I've had great CM's, clean parks and good food at WDW. Could the CM's have been more magical, parks cleaner, and food better 20 years ago? They certainly could have been, but I wouldnt know. So based on the limited experience I have had, I don't have the comparison.

We haven't had any real bad things happen.. Mostly thoroughly enjoyed our trip. I would say to lower your chance of problems, just be prepared and informed about what to expect (fast passes, wait times, good/bad eateries)..

Also, although some complaints are very much justified, as with reviews on Yelp!, take EVERYTHING negative with a grain of salt until you can make up your own minds.. Some ppl can find stuff to complain about whilst on an all expenses paid vacation at Fiji on a beautiful day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter