Has anyone dropped off a child alone at the kids club?

Michelle Mohr

Earning My Ears
My son is an only child. Id like for him to go to the kids club, but im afraid he wont have anyone to play with.

Does your son enjoy playing by himself? On Disney, most of the time the kids are free to play in whatever club area they want with or without other kids. Throughout the day there are a few activities, such as dance parties, that the kids can chose to join if they’d like. The last time my kids were in the Disney kids club, my son (6) loved it, but he is great at planning by himself. My daughter (4) enjoyed it for about 20 minutes. Then she would notify the staff that she was ready for us to pick her up and they would call us.

My only child loved the kids club from about ages 5-10 and was perfectly happy to get dropped off by himself. There's a ship simulator he played for hours (trying to park the ship at Castaway Cay and other ports).

We just got back from the Dream. He's 12 now and wasn't interested in the kids club (he was on the last cruise where he could have gone). He went to Edge a couple times but mostly hung out with us (trivia, aquaduck, mini golf and such) or walked around on Deck 4. Not sure if he would have been more inclined to go to Edge more if he'd gone to the icebreaker at Edge the first night but he was too tired (it started at 9:30). He still had a great time on the cruise.

Former YA crew member here. There are tons of counselors around to try and help engage your child and introduce them to other children.

I'm still in contact with friends onboard so I know recently things have changed, now 3 and 4 yr olds stay with specific counselors so they don't have the same freedom that 5-10 have. They go from room to room with their counselor so there is a bit more structure for the little ones.

How does your child do with meeting kids in other settings? I also have an only child, and she's pretty good at finding kids her age to play with when we go somewhere like a park. She did the same on our cruise this summer (she's 8). If your child won't approach other kids or try to find playmates, he might have a harder time, but there are always kids in there playing that they can meet and join.

DD is an only child. She does well playing on her own or joining others. She enjoyed the Club/Lab — usually in about 2-hr stints.

DD is an only child. She does well playing on her own or joining others. She enjoyed the Club/Lab — usually in about 2-hr stints.
Same for my kiddo (currently 6 but will be 7 next cruise)

She REALLY loved the organized structure during the restrictions but not so much now with the free play aspect.

My girls are 7 and 2 so my 7 year old has been going to the kids club alone. Only once at 3 1/2 did she absolutely hate it and requested to go to the nursery instead. We’ve done 2 cruises with her since the restart after Covid and she always has a blast. Every time I go to pick her up she begs to stay longer.

3 and 4 yr olds stay with specific counselors so they don't have the same freedom that 5-10 have
Does this mean that on our next sailing my then 3 and 8 year olds won’t be able to play together? I had heard about structured activities for the preschool age but I didn’t realize it was required.

Does this mean that on our next sailing my then 3 and 8 year olds won’t be able to play together? I had heard about structured activities for the preschool age but I didn’t realize it was required.

I'm wondering this as well, my 3 year old won't go anywhere without her 7 year old sister.

Our only child has loved the kids clubs at ages 5, 7, and 9. She is very social and would also time her visits around scheduled activities.

My DD (4) is now gold and she loves the kids club. She’s kinda an only child since her siblings are grown and don’t cruise with us anymore. She loves going and doesn’t mind getting dropped off by herself.

now 3 and 4 yr olds stay with specific counselors so they don't have the same freedom that 5-10 have. They go from room to room with their counselor so there is a bit more structure for the little ones.
That sounds great! I’m so disappointed this policy was announced for the day after we disembarked.

Correct, I didn't realize it was required either until I spoke with friends onboard and the 3-4 yr olds have to stay with the preschool counselors.

my girl will be 15, any k-pop or hip hop dance portions on the cruise?
Vibe sometimes does silent DJ. The counselors also have a DJ booth in Vibe so the teens can request music. Also multiple versions of the Just Dance game.

I think that club is within those age ranges

My only loved the kids club and lab and when he aged up, Edge. He hasn't enjoyed Vibe as much now that he's a teenager (I think some of that has to do with the fact that we tend to travel off season since we're homeschoolers and there just aren't as many teenagers in general on those cruises).

When he was younger, sometimes I'd go in and he'd be by himself, sometimes he'd be hanging with other kids, sometimes he'd be playing with kids either much younger or much older than himself. It was a toss up of what he'd be doing, but of all the times I left him in the club, I think I got a call to go pick him up once total.

Former YA crew member here. There are tons of counselors around to try and help engage your child and introduce them to other children.

I'm still in contact with friends onboard so I know recently things have changed, now 3 and 4 yr olds stay with specific counselors so they don't have the same freedom that 5-10 have. They go from room to room with their counselor so there is a bit more structure for the little ones.
Thank you for sharing this! I was having a hard time imagining how my will-be 4-year-old would handle herself without that structure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter