Has anyone else had issues with the new Oceaneer's club/lab policies?

deanimal

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our wonderful 6 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder. I was aware (thanks to this board) that the policies had changed in regards to parents in the kids clubs and I was fine with it. But I found that their new system of secured time vs open house/unsecured time really messed up our ability to plan. For example, I had pre-booked a spa treatment and an excursion, then booked Flounder's Reef for my 21 month old with the assumption that we could put our 3 year old in the club and my husband could relax for a while. Well, wouldn't you know it, both those times ended up being open house times for the Club! The only place he could leave her was the Lab. This might work fine for a 6 or 7 year old, but my daughter is barely 3 and there was no way she could fend for herself in the Lab. So there went our 2 free "me time" mornings!
What do you think? Perhaps they could let people know the free times ahead of time so they could plan things like spa times and nursery times around it? Or maybe they could plan some special toddler activities in the Lab when the Club is unsecured so the little ones would be more comfortable there? Or maybe a different space for parent and child activities instead of open times?
What have your experiences been with the new policies and open times?

I, too, was reluctant to send my 6 y/o to the Lab when it was open house. My son prefers the Lab's activities over the Club. When we were in the Lab for the first open house, I was dismayed at how aggressive some parents are. My DS is shy and can barely hold his own with the bigger kids. The last thing he needs is to be a lone child amongst all these pushy parents. We were fortunate to be traveling with my ILs, so my MIL kept DS while DH and I had our couple's massage and our Palo brunch. Yes... it was open house in the Lab when both of our "couple time" activities were booked (on different days.)

I had thought open house would be an hour or two here or there, but it turned out to be a large chunk of time in each area almost every day. For example, the Club had open house all morning for days 2,4 and 6 of our cruise. Since my 3 year old naps in the afternoon, that was 3 full mornings that we couldn't leave her in care at all! We could go in with her, but not check her in and leave. (oh, and she loved it there on her own, so we weren't trying to "dump" her or anything, we just really could have used that time for couple time!)

I had thought open house would be an hour or two here or there, but it turned out to be a large chunk of time in each area almost every day. For example, the Club had open house all morning for days 2,4 and 6 of our cruise. Since my 3 year old naps in the afternoon, that was 3 full mornings that we couldn't leave her in care at all! We could go in with her, but not check her in and leave. (oh, and she loved it there on her own, so we weren't trying to "dump" her or anything, we just really could have used that time for couple time!)

Oh no! Don't tell me that! That is when we'd like to leave the kids in childcare, as well. That stinks!

I do wish they would publish open houses ahead of time. I have some stuff scheduled that may not work out now and would love to go ahead and switch them around IF I could really find out what was happening when.

I do think if they are going to stick with this new way of handling things that they need to make sure smaller kids have things they can do in the lab, too. I know my kiddos will be intimidated by the big kids over there if they are just left to fend for themselves.

Since all of this is fairly new, they are probably taking feedback fairly seriously - perhaps you should email customer service and let them know how inconvenient it wound up being for you.

The point is that there is always a location where you can drop off your child and have age appropriate activities. Unfortunately, the whole thing of putting the 3-10s as essentially one "group" with different "suggested for" ages for each activities occurred a couple of years ago in response to parents always wanting to move their kids up or down to be with siblings/cousins/etc. This didn't square well with the Club space being designed for smaller people and the Lab space being designed for bigger people.

If you drop your 3 year old in the "secure" activities in the Lab, there will still be activities for a 3-4 year old. At that time, there will be an "open house" in the Club. The "open house" is not intended as a drop off; it is intended for parents to play with their kids. So in the post above, there should never be a "lone child among aggressive parents" at an open house--the lone child should have a parent there! If the secure program is in the Club, you can still drop your 9 year old there, and there will be 8-10 year old activities happening.

Unfortunately, DCL is trying to figure out how to alter their policies based on one most inappropriate experience. Continue to give them feedback as they work thru this issue!

I was considering contacting Disney with feedback, now I definitely will. I agree that its a new policy with a lot of kinks to work out and a lot of things to take into consideration. We really did enjoy the chance to go into the club with our 3 year old and toddler and play as a family, but having only the Lab available for so secured care for so much of the cruise was a huge issue.
And I really didn't see a lot of accommodation for the littlest ones in the Lab. Maybe if they could set aside a little area with soft cushions and someone reading stories or a preschool friendly video with someone nearby to help them feel secure it would be easier for preschoolers to use the space when the Club is having open house.

. At that time, there will be an "open house" in the Club. The "open house" is not intended as a drop off; it is intended for parents to play with their kids. So in the post above, there should never be a "lone child among aggressive parents" at an open house--the lone child should have a parent there! If the secure program is in the Club, you can still drop your 9 year old there, and there will be 8-10 year old activities happening.

!

I suppose my understanding of how the programming works now was a little faulty in my prior post.

My kid likes the Lab, not the Club. So, when secure programming is only available in the Club, he doesn't want to go. I had the luxury of having a doting grandmother to care for my son, so it wasn't an issue I had to push with my child. I really don't like to interfere with kids' play; but when the open house was full of parents, I had to intervene so that my son got his turn. Parents shouldn't be in the Lab cutting in front of kids so that they can "drive the ship" on the computers. And maybe some cruises have a more thoughtful group of parents... it wasn't the case with the 1-3-12 Dream cruise, unfortunately.

Was there an open house everyday in each area? How many hours of open house time per day?

This was the schedule on our Dec MR cruise:

SUNDAY
Flounders Reef Nursery 12:30 pm – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Club Open House 12:20 pm – 8:30 pm
Secured Program 8:30 pm – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Open House 12:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Secured Program 7:00 pm – 12:00 am

MONDAY
Flounders Reef Nursery 9:00 am – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Open House 4:30 pm – 10:00 pm
Secured Program 10:00 pm – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 9:00 am – 12:00 am

TUESDAY
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 12:00 am
Open House 2:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Secured Program 6:30 pm – 12:00 am

WEDNESDAY(Puerto Vallarta)
Flounders Reef Nursery 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Club Open House 7:30 am – 11:30 am
Secured Program 11:30 am – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Open House 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Secured Program 4:00 pm – 12:00 am

THURSDAY(Cabo San Lucas)
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 8:30 pm
Open House 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Open House 8:30 pm – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Lab Open House 8:00 am – 10:30 am
Secured Program 10:30 am – 12:00 am

FRIDAY(Cabo San Lucas)
Oceaneer Club Open House 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Secured Program 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 7:00 am – 8:30 pm
Open House 8:45 pm – 11:30 pm

SATURDAY
Oceaneer Club Open House 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Secured Program 10:00 am – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 9:00 am – 6:30 pm
Open House 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Secured Program 9:30 pm – 12:00 am

OPEN HOUSE
A non secured program with activities for families, adults and children of all ages to enjoy together.

:cutie:

I'm kind of amazed at the length of the open houses. IMO seems like too much time!

I'm kind of amazed at the length of the open houses. IMO seems like too much time!

They are trying to provide for those parents who don't want to leave their children, since they are no longer allowed to remain in the area where "secure" programming is happening.

Oh wow, I was unaware of this change. When did it take place? I liked that I could go check on her and take pics of her doing different activities.
They are trying to provide for those parents who don't want to leave their children, since they are no longer allowed to remain in the area where "secure" programming is happening.

Our last cruise dd could go between the 2 clubs. They offered things in both of them and she could pick what she wanted to do. Is this no longer an option if one is designated open house? One had the characters and activities and the other had the games and activities. Gosh I hope I don't hate this change. My dd LOVES the kids clubs.

I am about to cruise and I am confused.

SO you can't leave your kid when there is an "open house"? Or is that a parent can go in?

Hard to imagine when a 3 and 10 year old could safely play free in the same room.

I am about to cruise and I am confused.

SO you can't leave your kid when there is an "open house"? Or is that a parent can go in?

Hard to imagine when a 3 and 10 year old could safely play free in the same room.

There is always (like 9 am to midnight) a location with secure programming. Both the lab and the club are large areas where multiple activities can take place simultaneously. During the same programming hours as have long existed, this is the place where you can drop off your children.

The open house schedule is the time that you can go in and play with your children. Open house is not a drop off; YOU are responsible for supervising and assuring the safety of your child if you choose for them to attend that session.

Yes, this is a new policy--started about a month ago. Bottom line, NO adult other than those who are DCL CMs will be in with your children during "Secure" programming.

Yes, this is a MAJOR change from the last 13 years when parents have been welcome to sit in on kid sessions, take photos, etc. Read between the lines.

It sounds like you can leave your child somewhere. If there is an open house in their regular club they go to the other club if you want to leave them with the CM's.

The open house is available for certain clubs at certain times so you can hang out and do activities with your kids. I guess this works for the parents with kids in both clubs as they can still do fun activities with everyone since they are very strict about the age limits of the clubs.

It does seem like a lot of open house hours to me. It's interesting that they have no problem letting the different ages play together during open house times.

It does seem like a lot of open house hours to me. It's interesting that they have no problem letting the different ages play together during open house times.

But DCL is not responsible for them during the open house sessions--the parent is.

Wow I a amazed at the length of the open houses , when I heard of the changes I thought the open house would be an hour.

What are they doing with the staff, looks like cost cutting measures to me?

This was the schedule on our Dec MR cruise:

SUNDAY
Flounders Reef Nursery 12:30 pm – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Club Open House 12:20 pm – 8:30 pm
Secured Program 8:30 pm – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Open House 12:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Secured Program 7:00 pm – 12:00 am

MONDAY
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Open House 4:30 pm – 10:00 pm
Secured Program 10:00 pm – 12:00 am

TUESDAY
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 12:00 am
Open House 2:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Secured Program 6:30 pm – 12:00 am

WEDNESDAY(Puerto Vallarta)
Oceaneer Club Open House 7:30 am – 11:30 am
Secured Program 11:30 am – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Open House 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Secured Program 4:00 pm – 12:00 am

THURSDAY(Cabo San Lucas)
Oceaneer Club Secured Program 9:00 am – 8:30 pm
Open House 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Open House 8:30 pm – 11:00 pm
Oceaneer Lab Open House 8:00 am – 10:30 am
Secured Program 10:30 am – 12:00 am

FRIDAY(Cabo San Lucas)
Oceaneer Club Open House 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Secured Program 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 7:00 am – 8:30 pm
Open House 8:45 pm – 11:30 pm

SATURDAY
Oceaneer Club Open House 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Secured Program 10:00 am – 12:00 am
Oceaneer Lab Secured Program 9:00 am – 6:30 pm
Open House 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Secured Program 9:30 pm – 12:00 am

OPEN HOUSE
A non secured program with activities for families, adults and children of all ages to enjoy together.

:cutie:

Thanks for this info!

Looks like I am not going to like this change. My 10 year old will be 1 month shy of being 11 when we cruise. Will I be able to move him to the Edge to avoid this open house stuff?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter