Has anyone ever done a Trafalgar Tour? Looking into Costa Rica

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering what people thought of Trafalgar? We're looking at a family tour (will have twin 16 yr olds with us). Considering going to Costa Rica in March. Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this (Trafalgar and/or Costa Rica).

Thanks....
Jess

I took a quick look to see what Trafalgar is offering in Costa Rica. Good that they have trips geared to families. Looks like fun!

We have taken a few Trafalgar tours over the years -- different parts of Europe.-- and enjoyed each one very much. I wouldn't hesitate to take another one. They tend to mix things up -- cheaper accommodations and then nice ones. They balance things really well, so just when you're thinking, oh, this is not a good place to stay, or this isn't a great restaurant, they will throw in something very delightful to keep the troops happy.
All the hosts/guides have been really top-notch.

That's our experience. Have a great time if you go!

We went to Costa Rica with a 10yo and an 8yo. Picked our lodging, rented a car, planned the activities we wanted to do. It was great. It is an easy DIY destination. We split our time between Arenal volcano and the Pacific beach area on the Guanacaste peninsula.

We went to Costa Rica with a 10yo and an 8yo. Picked our lodging, rented a car, planned the activities we wanted to do. It was great. It is an easy DIY destination. We split our time between Arenal volcano and the Pacific beach area on the Guanacaste peninsula.
Did you have any problem finding space on the activities you wanted to do? Like Zip Lining, rafting? Did you arrange for some sort of wildlife tour? What other activities did you do? Did you plan all of these activities/excursions ahead of time or as you went?

How easy was it to drive around there?

On one hand, I love the idea of doing our own thing and flexibility....on the other hand I like the idea of having all our activities taken care of (no worrying about tickets/tours) and a tour guide that we get to know I'm also not against there being other people that we might get to know.

Thanks,
Jess

We took the same trip, but as a couple. Split stay between the Papagayo Peninsula on the Pacific Coast and Arenal Volcano (La Fortuna) area. We had such a good time....loved the people, the vibe, the wildlife! One of my favorite trips. We didn't rent a car, just used guides at or near the resorts to see/do what we wanted. We hired a car service that picked us up at Liberia, took us to the resort on the Papagayo Peninsula, then drove us the 3 hours out to La Fortuna, and finally back 2.5 hours to Liberia to depart. That whole deal was $565. I found that company on Trip Advisor and they were great.

In La Fortuna we stayed at the Nayara Tented Camp (5 star place...don't let "camp" fool ya ;), and just had such an amazing time there with incredible service that we're checking out their resort in Bocas Del Toro in Panama this January.

But back to Costa Rica....great destination for families too. So much to do and see.

Did you have any problem finding space on the activities you wanted to do? Like Zip Lining, rafting? Did you arrange for some sort of wildlife tour? What other activities did you do? Did you plan all of these activities/excursions ahead of time or as you went?

How easy was it to drive around there?

On one hand, I love the idea of doing our own thing and flexibility....on the other hand I like the idea of having all our activities taken care of (no worrying about tickets/tours) and a tour guide that we get to know I'm also not against there being other people that we might get to know.

Thanks,
Jess

No, we had no trouble finding space on anything, but we were there in May which was a little late in the normal tourist season and things were actually fairly quiet. We flew in late to Liberia and shuttled to a nearby hotel. The next day we got the rental car and drove 3 hours to Arenal, stopped at fantastic Cafe Macadamia for lunch. I didn't think the driving was bad. There were some spots that were gravel and/or steep. Passengers who get carsick should take something. Stayed at Lost Iguana resort. Next day we drove into La Fortuna, hiked the fortuna waterfall, swam in the stream at the bottom, and took a chocolate tour we happened to see. None of that was arranged in advance, I just knew I wanted to do those things. We found a great pizza place in town. The next day we did a wildlife float trip that was arranged through the hotel. The hotel website had some excursions to choose from. It was just us and a couple other families. It was okay, but it was very still and warm, and the animals were not all that easy to spot. I think I would choose something different if doing it again - probably more of a whitewater rafting thing with older kids. The next day we checked out and went to a nearby suspension bridge / hiking place which was really neat. Didn't make advance reservations. We ran out of time to do a hike on Arenal volcano or to visit the sloth rehab place. Headed over to Samara beach and stayed at Hideaway Hotel - a small little hotel just outside of the town - very close to the beach. One day we drove around to see some of the other beaches and visited a turtle conservation area, and another day one of the hotel staff gave us directions to get to these fantastic tidal pools. We could see starfish, octopi, all kinds of things. It looked like there may have been some sea kayaking outfit nearby because we could see some groups going out in the bay a few different times. The final day, we tried to go to Rincon de la Vieja national park, and we got all the way up there but it started pouring, so we missed that. Stayed back near the Liberia airport 1 more night, and then flew home. It was a very fun trip, a great mix of activities plus some relaxing pool/beach time, and great food.

No, we had no trouble finding space on anything, but we were there in May which was a little late in the normal tourist season and things were actually fairly quiet. We flew in late to Liberia and shuttled to a nearby hotel. The next day we got the rental car and drove 3 hours to Arenal, stopped at fantastic Cafe Macadamia for lunch. I didn't think the driving was bad. There were some spots that were gravel and/or steep. Passengers who get carsick should take something. Stayed at Lost Iguana resort. Next day we drove into La Fortuna, hiked the fortuna waterfall, swam in the stream at the bottom, and took a chocolate tour we happened to see. None of that was arranged in advance, I just knew I wanted to do those things. We found a great pizza place in town. The next day we did a wildlife float trip that was arranged through the hotel. The hotel website had some excursions to choose from. It was just us and a couple other families. It was okay, but it was very still and warm, and the animals were not all that easy to spot. I think I would choose something different if doing it again - probably more of a whitewater rafting thing with older kids. The next day we checked out and went to a nearby suspension bridge / hiking place which was really neat. Didn't make advance reservations. We ran out of time to do a hike on Arenal volcano or to visit the sloth rehab place. Headed over to Samara beach and stayed at Hideaway Hotel - a small little hotel just outside of the town - very close to the beach. One day we drove around to see some of the other beaches and visited a turtle conservation area, and another day one of the hotel staff gave us directions to get to these fantastic tidal pools. We could see starfish, octopi, all kinds of things. It looked like there may have been some sea kayaking outfit nearby because we could see some groups going out in the bay a few different times. The final day, we tried to go to Rincon de la Vieja national park, and we got all the way up there but it started pouring, so we missed that. Stayed back near the Liberia airport 1 more night, and then flew home. It was a very fun trip, a great mix of activities plus some relaxing pool/beach time, and great food.

Great trip! I think I remember you talking about your trip before we took ours. We stopped at the same cafe for lunch on our way from the coast to La Fortuna :). I remember you saying how much you loved your trip, and we came away with the same feeling. We'd go back in a heartbeat...and definitely will go back, likely exploring a bit more on our own the next time as you did.

As I said, we didn't drive and we used the two resorts as our bases and then hired guides either provided by the resort or through the resort for our activities. Our hotel on the Papagayo Peninsula was also a nice place (Four Seasons), but included breakfast and all water toys (SUP boards, snorkel gear, kayaks...etc). They also offered free activities like hikes on the peninsula, coffee tastings, etc. We saw loads of monkeys and wildlife right on property which was great. And then we used a company called The Explorers which resorts in the area use for supplemental activities like "dry rain forest hikes" (which we did and loved), other nature hikes. They also offered zip line tours, mountain biking and ATV tours as well as outrigger canoe tours.

When we got to Arenal we used a resort guide to take us to Mystic Hanging Bridges park (highly recommend if you can do heights), and then through the resort booked a "rafting safari" that was also amazing. It was with a company that picked up us at the resort and took just the two of us on a raft. We saw soooo much wildlife not that particular tour spotting the three types of monkeys, spent about twenty minutes right under a low tree branch over the river with a sloooowly descending two toed sloth, toucans, crocodiles, boa constrictors and more birds than I could possibly remember. The resort at Arenal (Nayara Tented Camp) had several three toed sloths on property and we got some nice close ups of Tony....one who lives there. The resort also had so many thermal pools from the volcano to explore. We really could have used another day or two just to explore the resort itself.

We didn't make it to San Jose or the Caribbean side at all, and so we're going to try that area in Panama in January.

Great trip! I think I remember you talking about your trip before we took ours. We stopped at the same cafe for lunch on our way from the coast to La Fortuna :). I remember you saying how much you loved your trip, and we came away with the same feeling. We'd go back in a heartbeat...and definitely will go back, likely exploring a bit more on our own the next time as you did.

As I said, we didn't drive and we used the two resorts as our bases and then hired guides either provided by the resort or through the resort for our activities. Our hotel on the Papagayo Peninsula was also a nice place (Four Seasons), but included breakfast and all water toys (SUP boards, snorkel gear, kayaks...etc). They also offered free activities like hikes on the peninsula, coffee tastings, etc. We saw loads of monkeys and wildlife right on property which was great. And then we used a company called The Explorers which resorts in the area use for supplemental activities like "dry rain forest hikes" (which we did and loved), other nature hikes. They also offered zip line tours, mountain biking and ATV tours as well as outrigger canoe tours.

When we got to Arenal we used a resort guide to take us to Mystic Hanging Bridges park (highly recommend if you can do heights), and then through the resort booked a "rafting safari" that was also amazing. It was with a company that picked up us at the resort and took just the two of us on a raft. We saw soooo much wildlife not that particular tour spotting the three types of monkeys, spent about twenty minutes right under a low tree branch over the river with a sloooowly descending two toed sloth, toucans, crocodiles, boa constrictors and more birds than I could possibly remember. The resort at Arenal (Nayara Tented Camp) had several three toed sloths on property and we got some nice close ups of Tony....one who lives there. The resort also had so many thermal pools from the volcano to explore. We really could have used another day or two just to explore the resort itself.

We didn't make it to San Jose or the Caribbean side at all, and so we're going to try that area in Panama in January.

Now I'm intrigued at the idea of doing this on our own. How did you divide up your stay and which excursions did you do at each home base? I'm trying to get an idea of what activities are closest to each stop/hotel. What hotels did you stay at?

We are interested in.... Rafting (scenic and possibly white water), a rainforest hike to see wildlife, chocolate and/or coffee experience, zip lining, the waterfall, the suspension bridges, hot springs and a beach day.

We spent 3 nights at Arenal, 3 nights at the beach. 2 nights near the airport starting and ending the trip. If I did it again I would make it 4 nights at Arenal, 2 nights and the beach. The beach was nice, but there's more to do near the volcano.

Now I'm intrigued at the idea of doing this on our own. How did you divide up your stay and which excursions did you do at each home base? I'm trying to get an idea of what activities are closest to each stop/hotel. What hotels did you stay at?

We are interested in.... Rafting (scenic and possibly white water), a rainforest hike to see wildlife, chocolate and/or coffee experience, zip lining, the waterfall, the suspension bridges, hot springs and a beach day.

When we first booked this trip, we'd envisioned a resort stay with some excursions, and so with our "vacation fund" stuffed to the gills with us not traveling for nearly 3 years due to the pandemic, I booked us for eight nights at the Four Seasons Papagayo. When I started to look into the things we wanted to do/see, I realized that a lot of the excursions were 5-6 hours round trip in a car to get to the rainforest (on the coast it's a dry rainforest) to see the volcano, sloths, waterfalls....etc. And so with the actual activity, it was like 10-12 hour days. Too long.

At that point, we switched it up and settled on five nights at the Four Seasons (they had a stay five pay for four deal, so less than five would have been a waste) and three up at La Fortuna where the volcano is, the hanging bridges and the river safari. Again, up there...we chose the Nayara Tented Camp, which as I said earlier, was spectucular, but it's pricey.

With the Four Seasons or the Andaz (which I believe is a Marriott property in case you have points).....you're a bit isolated on the peninsula, however we really enjoyed it. We did also hire a boat/driver on our own to take us out for a three hour tour (haha...really was that long) to snorkel and take us into the mangroves...right from the beach. There are no private beaches in Costa Rica, and so vendors would gather on a part of the beach to sell boating excursions, massages and also sell jewelry...etc. But they stayed to one side of the beach and weren't intrusive. Lots of people would hire one of the boat guys to take them across the bay over to Coco and Hermosa Beach (popular area to stay). We decided we wanted to do up to 1/2 day excursions and the other half day to enjoy the resort. So that plan worked for us both on the coast, and up at Arenal, which is where the true rainforest is. They also had "The Explorers" out there for anyone wanting to zip line, do ATVs, mountain bike...etc. But I'm betting you can do that stuff all over Costa Rica.

I think 4 days on the coast was enough, but would have loved another 1-2 days up at Arenal as there were more fun excursions/hikes that I would have really enjoyed. I definitely think you can plan this trip yourself. It's just a matter if you want to self-drive like jalapeño_pretzel did, or use resorts as a base as we did and hire transportation. We used Tucan Limo Services for pick-up at Liberia Airport, transport to our beach resort, pick-up and transport out to La Fortuna (Arenal area), pick-up at La Fortuna out to airport. It was about 7 hours in total for the three trips and each time had a private driver in a nice, new vehicle (Toyota Land Cruiser)....for a total of $565, which we felt was a very fair price. My husband didn't want to drive on this trip.

However, as you can see...I believe jalapeño_pretzel covered more ground by driving themselves....just a matter of what you'd like to see/do. And you can spend far, far less on resorts....and have the same amazing time. Up in the Arenal area there were lots of resorts we saw that had their own thermal springs on property. And there were places to access them for a fee. Again, we loved this trip....and because it's a quick 5 hour direct flight from Newark, can see us going back again and again. Our flight landed at around noon on our arrival day, and the drive to the resort was about 50 minutes.....if you decided on Coco or Hermosa it's only about 35 minutes. Our flight back was at 2pm, and so we had a 9am pick up which got us back to the airport at 11:30am...plenty of time to make our flight, so we didn't need to do any hotel nights near the airport on either day.

Waking up at 6am after our first night and being greeted at our hotel window by a capuchin monkey staring at our fruit basket through the window was our first wildlife sighting....and from there we saw amazing animals every day. My husband got this shot of a family down at the beach later that day. :).

1685622530033.jpeg

I'm wondering what people thought of Trafalgar? We're looking at a family tour (will have twin 16 yr olds with us). Considering going to Costa Rica in March. Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this (Trafalgar and/or Costa Rica).

Thanks....
Jess
It’s worth spending some time in Monteverde.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter