• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone ever gone to WDW with peanut allergy kid?

babygarrettsmom

I wanna live at Disney World!!
We have a recently diagnosed peanut allergic 19-month-old (yes, we found out the hard way!). Has anyone ever been to WDW with a peanut allergy kid? If so, what did you/they do? We are going for a week in December, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. He usually eats off the kid's menu wherever we go, but that was *before* - can I assume that stuff like mac-n-cheese, chicken tenders, etc. will be safe?

TIA!
Michele

Yes, my DD 2 1/2 also has a peanut allergy. I was told that the PBJ 's are made and sent to the resturants and so not to worry about the other kid foods being near the peanutbutter. They also do not use peanut oil. We found plenty of things for her to eat, well actually she likes mac and cheese and Chicken fingers most of the time. Any time you're in doubt ask and the staff can tell you or the chief will come talk to you personally.

Just call ahead and make PS. They will note it on the PS and give you the numbers of the restraunts you will be going to. We have had only 1 problem in 5 years with DD. That was a while ago when they changed the snack on the Pirate Cruise and I did not know.... She was aware of the allergy but had not even seen PB in 2 years so she thought the sandwitch was jelly and melted cheese....She only ate some and we realized and got her to the Hospital in time. She is never left alone at WDW anymore. Be careful at the buffets in the kid area. We have seen the PB get smudged on the counter. We also look at the desert menu and if the restraunt has PB playdough we have them re wipe our seats and table. I would suggest getting an eppi pen or some of the chewable tablets for your trip so you will have no worries! Make sure you tell the bakers at stands so they will check the oil in the cookies and cupcakes. My DD hates not eating BP but loves that she does not have to eat any beans or soybean products at dinner and the other kids do. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the great ideas. We already have the Epi-Pens (4 at the moment), so that's taken care of. And Benadryl - my ds loves the taste! I will definitely be making PS's and calling the restaurants. And, thanks for the idea to re-wipe the area where they serve the PB playdough - I'll make sure to do that since I know we will be eating at the Coral Reef. Although I must admit, that part kinda depresses me - I *really* wanted to order one of the PB playdoughs this trip - for me!! (but, of course I won't)

Thanks again - we're still new to this, so I'm learning!

My DH is peanut-allergic. He's been dealing with his allergy his whole life, so he generally takes care of himself without a fuss. A quick question here or there (What kind of oil was used to fry the XYZ?) usually is sufficient. I've never really mentioned anything when making PSs, since he is a grown up and knows how to order for himself.

We only had one problem at WDW. Once, at WDW, during the food and wine festival, I bought some dumplings in China. Now, they have all of the recipe cards for the dishes sitting out on the counter. I glanced over the recipe card, and there were no peanut products listed in the ingredients for the dumplings themselves. We had been sharing the tasty treats all around WS, so i offered him the first dumpling without even thinking about it. Then I tasted it. The sauce that they serve with the dumplings tasted like peanuts to me! Suddenly, DH told me that his throat felt itchy and he was having trouble breathing. I wanted to find a CM to contact first aid, but he insisted that he would be fine if we found some Benadryl. We finally found a shop near the International Gateway that had sample packets of medications for sale behind the counter. He had some Benadryl, and was fine, but it was very scary (and I wish that he would have let me have a CM get help for him).

Oh, and I have a nephew who is allergic to dairy products. When we went to WDW with him, my sister did mention his allergy when making PSs, and she spoke to chefs at every restaurant. At Donald's Breakfastosaurus, the chef told her that every single item (except the fruit) on the buffet was made with cream and or butter, so he made my nephew some milk-free scrambled eggs and some dairy-free pancakes.

HTH

Another resource is the Executive Chef's office. The number is (407) 824-5967. As I understand it, this office oversees all the food preparation at WDW, so they can give you information about all the restaurants and food sellers in WDW.

PS. We had a foreign exchange student from Thailand one year. I was surprised to see how many of her recipes had ground peanuts or peanut oil in them. I think peanuts are a very common cooking ingredient in Oriental food in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter