Has anyone ever mispronounced your name?

my first name has never once been pronounced correctly.....
i'm named after a grandmother and my parents didn't think of giving me a more appropriate name for growing up in the USA.
I hated it..
i still do.
I should add that "Beth" is not my name nor has it ever been my name.
I picked it 20 years ago when i joined the dis to simplify things.
I didn't want to have to go through all the explanations and corrections.
So i picked beth, which has some similarities (though being only 4 letters to my names 8)

Yes. My first name has an unusual spelling- I’m one of those dreaded “y” instead of an “i” kids. But most of the mispronunciations are pure laziness on the part of the reader. It’s like they see the “y,” give up, and just add an “a” to the end of my name. (Like saying Isabella instead of Isabelle.)

I actually really love my “y” and it’s something I’d like to keep doing with any kids we may have.

My last name is German. I don’t fault people for messing it up- it’s the vowel issue, and people generally place emphasis on the wrong one.

Sometimes. My name is Joy - seems easy peasy - pronounced just like the Christmas word. I get called Joey all the time.

It might just be a case of the Southern tendency to make two syllables out of one. Bill becomes Be-yul, Will is We-yull, Dave is Day-ave, etc.:rotfl2:

(I say this with great appreciation for the Southern accent!)

I just remembered a story. Now days, when you give your name at a restaurant queue etc. you usually just give first names. It used to always be last names. About 40 years ago a group of us were sitting around saying what a pain this was because our names got butchered, laughed at, etc. A friend who had a perfect, plain, but not too common, last name gave us blanket permission to use her name. I used her name for YEARS and still do if I'm asked for a last name.

Our surname gets butchered regularly. That's how we can tell if someone on the phone really knows us (or is just pretending.) Those who know us will correctly pronounce the name.

All the time. It’s laughable. It’s always changed to an “a” at the end... an Italian version.

yep....at the cancer center all the time...each day a new covid screener....I can't talk...so I have my name on the inside of my folder in big letters....but been that way since junior high school ...no big deals... even though I am famous 70s satruday morning program

Last name, all the time! I have considered changing it. First name people sometimes ask whether it is short for anything (it is not).

Not my real name, but people have mispronounced my DIS screen name many times. It's Feralpeg, not Feralpig!

First name, yes. I don't understand why. It's 4 letters. A well known but not common name these days but it's still mispronounced. My married last name is mispronounced and misspelled all the time.

LOL - every single time! On the first day of school every year the teacher would freeze during roll call when she came to my name ... and I would raise my hand.

Almost everyday. My name is Kathe - like (Kathy) but I get called so many new things including Kate or Kathleen or Katherine. Actually no one pronounces it correctly and I have given up at age 49 trying to get it right. I answer to whatever.

Not intentionally. My name shows up in about 3-4 different ethnicities pretty regulary. Each culture has a slight twist on it so, depending on where someone grew up they pronounce it differently. (there are a few spellings but they seem to all be interchangeable)

Only in text on forums such as here. I've been called Mr. Odgers. Just a wrong period placement.

First and last name (married name). It annoys me all the time. It isn't really that difficult but I think people just look quickly and then say something more common that sounds like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter