Has anyone ever used a petsitting service?

Luckymommyx2

Wishing you a magical day
Has anyone ever used a petsitting service? If so, what was your experience like? Were the rates reasonable?

Every time we're on vacation! We found her online for our area. Just go to -

http://www.petsitters.com/

And look for one in your area. Some of them have their own websites.

Our petsitter is WONDERFUL! You couldn't find a more caring, thorough, reasonably-priced sitter! We have two cats and she comes as many times a day as you wish (we usually only have her come 1x/day) and she only charges $16/visit! She feeds them, spends a lot of time with them, writes a whole diary of her visit and tells you how much attention she gave each of them, brings our mail and newspapers in, sets the security alarm before she leaves, drives an un-advertised car (don't want everyone to know you're out of town) and even bought us a Christmas gift one year when we were out of town for the holidays! She was up for Pet Sitter of the Year by the National Pet Sitter Association too!

It's better than taking your pets to the kennel, boarding them in strange surroundings, freaking them out, worrying about getting fleas from the other pets, and generally a pain in the neck!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the link FOJMO!! I'm having a hard time finding any that are real close. The closest is half an hour away and with needing them to come 3xs a day, I don't know if they'll do it. I really don't want to board my baby in a kennel because I think it would freak him out and I don't want to put him through it. I emailed one of the petsitters to see if she'll come out to my area but I'm not counting on it. Thanks again!!

I would strongly recommend getting a pet sitter over a kennel.

We have a wonderful woman who absolutely loves animals!!
We have a dog and we have her come 3 times a day. She spends about 30 minutes (sometimes more) and takes him for walks, brushes him and plays with him.
She charges $13 a visit.

She also brings in our mail and papers, puts the trash out on trash days. She even opens our blinds in the mornings and closes them at night so it looks like someone is home!

She leaves daily messages for us on our cell phones to assure us that everything is fine and we she leaves a daily diary for us when we return.
We definitely feel much more comfortable leaving our furry one with her.

We used one a few years ago for our cat. I found her on the Internet, but I didn't keep her card, and now can't find her anywhere. We were a little leery of having a stranger come in, but she was great. Every day, she left a little note describing what she did with out cat - just like at daycare! She charged $15 a day.

My friend uses a pet sitter all the time for her cats. The pet sitter must give the cats medication - hard enough when it's your own cat! I think she only charges $10 too.

Originally posted by Luckymommyx2
Thanks so much for the link FOJMO!! I'm having a hard time finding any that are real close. The closest is half an hour away and with needing them to come 3xs a day, I don't know if they'll do it. I really don't want to board my baby in a kennel because I think it would freak him out and I don't want to put him through it. I emailed one of the petsitters to see if she'll come out to my area but I'm not counting on it. Thanks again!!

Maybe the one that's half an hour away can recommend someone they know that's closer, but may not be listed on the internet. I hope it works out for you!

We have the most wonderful petsitter. She comes once a day while we are on vacation. She charges $15 a visit for our 2 cats. They both require medication. She brings in the mail and has even vacuumed up the fur in the living room and cleaned snow off the car in the driveway to make it look like someone was there.
We got her name from a bulletin board at the vets office.
Make sure they are bonded and insured and that they know animal CPR.

Yes. There is a professional dog trainer who we use when we are out of town. She walks the dogs and feeds the animals. We have been very happy overall except for the time she forgot the code to the alarm system and we got a call on our cell from the alarm company. Everything was fine but we had the police and neighborhood patrol check out the house due to the alarm.

I'm hoping that if the pet sitter that I emailed can't help me that she can recommend someone closer. The only other thing I can think of is to check with several of the vets close by and maybe even some groomers. Thanks for all the responses so far!

Maybe I should look into starting my own pet sitting business!!

Check with your vet.

I called to get a recommendation, and as it turns out several of the vet assistants do this as a sideline for the vet's clients. Our petsitter is charging $10 per visit. It works out great for her because we're within walking distance of the office, and we have someone that we sort of know which is good for us.

THANK YOU Cheryl!!! I actually got two matches on petsit.com! Wow, thank you again!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

You are welcome!!

Also a good tip: Your sitter should be bonded and insured, the sitter should be willing to show you their certificate.

Another good tip is to ask for recommendations from the sitter.

Also your sitter should plan to come out and meet the pet(s)
they'll be sitting.

Cheryl

Update and request for a little more help....

I received an email response from a local woman who runs a pet sitting business. She says she is insured but not bonded. She further explains that she is not bonded upon the advise of her insurance agent. (It's just her, no employees.) What does this mean exactly? Should I avoid her services? She did give me names and numbers of three references. She doesn't charge by the pet but by the number of visits. It breaks down like this:
$15 for the first visit and $12 for every visit thereafter. It would be to my advantage the way she prices her services considering I have a dog, horse, three cats and fish. The only problem is that I would probably need her to come out three times a day just to let my dog out. How does this sound to you guys?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter