Has Anyone Flown on Spirit Airlines Recently?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
If you have flown on Spirit recently I'm wondering about the carry-on bag. I know they charge for the larger ones to go in the bins above the seats. It's been over 2 years since we flew on Spirit but always in the past I had a carry-on (that fits under the seat) and my purse and it was no problem.

We just booked a Caribbean cruise with our DS, DDIL and DGD for the end of February, and booked air with Spirit. In reading on their website it looks like you're only allowed ONE personal item (16x14x12) so if I take my under-the-seat carryon (which is smaller than the allowed dimensions) then it looks like I can't ALSO take my purse. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I will be able to toss my purse into my personal carry-on bag, so it won't be a big deal for me but I need to know for my DDIL and DGD so they can be properly prepared to do the same if we can't have our purses AND small carryons as well.

I couldn't find anywhere on Spirit's web site to e-mail and ask my question, so thought I would ask here and see if any recent Spirit flyers know.

One personal item is included with a Bare Fare. This is something like a small backpack or purse that fits entirely in the smaller sizer box (16”x14”x12”). You need to pay for any additional/larger bags.
Buy bags early and online for the best price. All prices are per bag, each way.

If you are taking anything larger or more than the allowed 16x14x12 personal item, you will be charged.

It is always cheaper to pay for additional bags ahead of time.

I always take a duffel bag and my purse whenever I go on Spirit, and never (minus once) pay a dime for it. As long as your bag (not purse/tote/whatever you carry), can fit under your seat with no problem, you'll be good to go. :thumbsup2

If you're unsure if it will fit, when you arrive at the airport to print your boarding pass they have a "container" that you can see if your bag will fit into it, or the employee will be there to tell you otherwise.

Just flew several weeks ago. Yup, you can't have a purse and another bag. Shove the purse inside the other bag until you get on the plane.

I always take a duffel bag and my purse whenever I go on Spirit, and never (minus once) pay a dime for it. As long as your bag (not purse/tote/whatever you carry), can fit under your seat with no problem, you'll be good to go. :thumbsup2

If you're unsure if it will fit, when you arrive at the airport to print your boarding pass they have a "container" that you can see if your bag will fit into it, or the employee will be there to tell you otherwise.

I know my bag will fit as it's smaller than their 16x14x12" limit, so it can easily go under the seat. When I bought it, it specifically said "fits under the seat of the plane." I have always been able to carry a tote bag AND my purse on the plane.

Just flew several weeks ago. Yup, you can't have a purse and another bag. Shove the purse inside the other bag until you get on the plane.

I guess I'll have to ask the desk clerk about it when we check in for our flight. In the past I've always been able to carry my tote bag (that fit under the seat) AND my purse and no one said a word about it. But I will make sure to have room in my bag for my purse just in case they say I can't carry BOTH. Kind of dumb if they make me put it inside the carryon though, as still BOTH are going on the plane.

I'll alert my DIL and DGD about it though so they can "be prepared" if we have to put our purses into our personal carryons.

Thanks.

The statement ms1031 copied directly from Spirit's baggage page is clear on this. " This is something like a small backpack or purse that fits ". Not two items. One.

It is one item. DD was told she would have to pay for her purse or carryon bag, but luckily had enough room in the carryon bag so she just stuffed her purse in. And it was a small purse, the Overland Placer, which is about 7" x 5" approx.

It is one item. DD was told she would have to pay for her purse or carryon bag, but luckily had enough room in the carryon bag so she just stuffed her purse in. And it was a small purse, the Overland Placer, which is about 7" x 5" approx.

This is what we will do as well.

But it just seems stupid that the purse can go in the carryon bag, but not on your shoulder or in your hand. Really, what difference does it make? :confused3

It seems the airlines are getting more and more picky and always making up new "rules" for passengers to follow, it's kind of getting ridiculous.

Last year we drove for our vacation and it was so nice to not have to worry about making sure the luggage was 40 pounds or under, and not having to pay extra for the luggage, and not having to worry if I bought too many souvenirs to pack back into the luggage. :)

I know my bag will fit as it's smaller than their 16x14x12" limit, so it can easily go under the seat. When I bought it, it specifically said "fits under the seat of the plane." I have always been able to carry a tote bag AND my purse on the plane.

I guess I'll have to ask the desk clerk about it when we check in for our flight. In the past I've always been able to carry my tote bag (that fit under the seat) AND my purse and no one said a word about it. But I will make sure to have room in my bag for my purse just in case they say I can't carry BOTH. Kind of dumb if they make me put it inside the carryon though, as still BOTH are going on the plane.

I'll alert my DIL and DGD about it though so they can "be prepared" if we have to put our purses into our personal carryons.

Thanks.

Yes, officially it's ONE item that will fit beneath the seat, but the gate agents sometimes let things slide. Good idea to be prepared in case they're strict on your particular flight.

One doesn't equal two. Spirit's restrictions are so specific, it's surprising that there's any question or discussion.

Yes, officially it's ONE item that will fit beneath the seat, but the gate agents sometimes let things slide. Good idea to be prepared in case they're strict on your particular flight.

I've had one thing slide ONCE on Spirit. However, they're upfront that they're charging fees to make money, and revel in the complaints they get. As long as you do everything by the book, you'll have few complaints flying Spirit.

The basic idea when flying Spirit is to not question why they don't have more compassion. Either they'll cut you a break or they won't. Arguing won't help.

I've actually seen someone on Southwest being asked to stuff something else inside another bag. This person had way too many items, and consolidating them put this pax under the limit.

I flew out of Detroit recently on Spirit. It is DEFINITELY just one item (and a small item at that!). They were not allowing anyone to "slip by" with two items.

They are doing it to make money. Plus, as soon as they start letting purses slide, the purses get bigger and bigger. I've seen people arguing that it's "JUST" a purse when it's bigger than my carry on bag. This leaves the rule absolutely clear and no one is treated unfairly.

I've had one thing slide ONCE on Spirit. However, they're upfront that they're charging fees to make money, and revel in the complaints they get. As long as you do everything by the book, you'll have few complaints flying Spirit.

The basic idea when flying Spirit is to not question why they don't have more compassion. Either they'll cut you a break or they won't. Arguing won't help.

I've actually seen someone on Southwest being asked to stuff something else inside another bag. This person had way too many items, and consolidating them put this pax under the limit.

Like almost all airlines, Spirit's practices don't always coincide with their policies. The OP herself has said that on previous flights they let her take on her underseat bag AND a purse. But she's smart to be prepared so she doesn't get socked with a $100 fee.

Spirit DOES seem to revel in the complaints against them, and I revel in reading those complaints.

They charge for carry-on bags!!!
There's all kinds of hidden fees!!!
They charge for a soft drink or even water!!!
They wouldn't refund my fare when my plans changed!!!
They made me pay $100 to gate check my bag!!!
I'll NEVER fly Spirit again!!! (until the next trip when they see the cheap fare)

These types of complaints are lodged by people expecting old-fashioned service, those too lazy or stupid to read about Spirit's policies. None of the fees are hidden.

The complaints about lack of customer service when things go wrong do seem to have merit, although I've been lucky enough never to find out for myself.

Like almost all airlines, Spirit's practices don't always coincide with their policies. The OP herself has said that on previous flights they let her take on her underseat bag AND a purse. But she's smart to be prepared so she doesn't get socked with a $100 fee.

Spirit DOES seem to revel in the complaints against them, and I revel in reading those complaints.

They charge for carry-on bags!!!
There's all kinds of hidden fees!!!
They charge for a soft drink or even water!!!
They wouldn't refund my fare when my plans changed!!!
They made me pay $100 to gate check my bag!!!
I'll NEVER fly Spirit again!!! (until the next trip when they see the cheap fare)

These types of complaints are lodged by people expecting old-fashioned service, those too lazy or stupid to read about Spirit's policies. None of the fees are hidden.

The complaints about lack of customer service when things go wrong do seem to have merit, although I've been lucky enough never to find out for myself.

Yeah - they don't hide anything. They are completely upfront about all their fees and specifically encourage their passengers to research how to avoid them. They also want to make their customers who prepared to feel that it was worth the effort.

I'd say that I was hesitant to book Spirit because of their reputation. However, it cost substantially less than booking another airline and the experience was actually better than many flights I've taken. The flight boarded extremely quickly with few people bringing carryon, which takes up valuable time while people are trying to walk down the aisles. If it fits under your seat, it goes under your seat - so there's less argument about stuffing things in the overhead. Unless you paid for carryon, it's not going into the overhead bin - no how, no way. There's nothing like all the wasted time from passengers completely filling up the overhead bins, which delays boarding as passengers block the aisles, along with the delays from having the gate check a dozen pieces of luggage.

I frankly like that the seats don't recline. Cramped reclining airline seats is about the fastest way to passive-aggressive displays including subtle kicking of the seat.

To solve the purse problem leave it at home. I never bring my purse on a trip even when I have been to China twice. I carry a nice backpack with everything I need. I use a small wristlet with my CC,DL etc in it and some cash if needed. A purse is a burden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter