Has anyone flown South West w/ kids?

N'vergone

Planning for 2003!
Have never flown a no frills airline since the "Peoples Airline" days,(blast from the past) What tips do you have w/ getting the five of us(DH, 2DD & DS) Together? Is being the first in line to board our only hope? Haven't called SW yet to ask, figured you all would know. I noticed when I flew united last year to San Francisco they didn't do the family & old ladies first thing.

Thanks,

Karen:earsgirl:

old and they did let us board first. I am not sure of the age cutoff (we were well below it), but I do remember a family with a 3 or 4 year old boarding with us. I am sure that if you go to their website or call the company you could find the cutoff. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Karla

I flew once with two kids that just missed the cutoff (think it was four and under). We arrived really early for the first flight and waited forever in the line, but received first group to load. No problem, right?
WRONG!!
We had to connect in Chicago and were late arriving. By the time we got to the gate, most of the crowd was already boarded. We had to walk up and down the aisle and ask about ten people if they could swap seats before we finally found two sets of two. It was getting to the point that I was going to fly back home, because I would not have my five year old son sitting by himself next to strangers.
That was the last trip we took on Southwest. Ever since, I've flown mostly Delta, with a few AA flights in between.
This past May, I was able to arrange a trip to MCO for 17 people out of KC International on Delta Express. When I checked the fares, it was $210 each on Delta Express and $259 each on Southwest. So, check around. The other airlines usually match or come real close to Southwest without the seating hassle.

Have called SW they say I can pre-board w/ my kids. Thankfully we are on a nonstop to MCO, so won't have any of that gate changing mess. Leaving out of Albany "International" (only international flight is to Montreal) so airport is not big. Leaving MCO may be a different story but have "always relied on the kindness of strangers." Have not been able to find a better price on a NS out of ALB during Feb break dates(2/13-21/02). Also bonus! SW has a internet special, book 4 NS flights and recieve a free NS in their rewards program, so already have a flight for next trip to WDW, Hoo Hoo!::pinkbounc

KSDave; am loving your pic w/ Tigger.

Karen:)

We've flown SW with our DS a couple of times, and yes, they do allow pre-boarding. I would make sure to ask anyway when you check in at the gate though. I get the impression they sometimes skip the pre-boarding if they don't think its needed. Both times we asked, they did do pre-boarding.

DS is now three, so we didn't have to worry about a cutoff. I do remember them announcing it at 5 and under before one of the flights.

Hi Guys, SW asked ages of children & they are 7, 9 & 11, she said to tell them that I wanted pre- board @ the gate, as Raidermatt sugested. She had no problem w/ ages of kids.

Karen :earsgirl:

We are flying SW as a family for the first time, and I was very worried about the seating.
My 5 year old has trouble with his ears, and is a sensitive child. Both my husband and
I would need to be near him or they'd have to land the plane. LITERALLY.

He's counting down the days to Disney, but he's made it very clear that he is not thrilled
about getting on another plane.

I'm going to get some earplanes for him (me too). I hope they work!

we just flew southwest with two boys 6 and 7 earlier this week from chicago to tampa. It was a very nice flight and we had absolutely no problems!

Southwest may change their position on preboarding children depending upon how 'busy' the
flight is. I've flown out of MCO (orlando) several times and SW was only preboarding small kids (sometimes 2 and under), as there were so many families with kids there.
However, I've never seen a family that couldn't be seated together when the flight attendants asked for people to change seats.

If you are flying over a school vacation to Orlando SW does not usually pre board children because almost everyone going has children. Last time we flew they only boarded children with a car seat and 1 adult in their party. This was out of Albany. I would get their early rather than count on preboarding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter