• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone flown Spirit Airlines?

Hannahinwonderland

DIS Veteran
I just booked a weekend trip on Spirit airlines. I have heard mixed things from friends, but the value seemed worth it. I just spent an hour reading reviews and now I am really second guessing myself! Every other person is complaining that their flights were cancelled or delayed 5+ hours! Does anyone have any good experiences with Spirit to reassure me with?

I just booked a weekend trip on Spirit airlines. I have heard mixed things from friends, but the value seemed worth it. I just spent an hour reading reviews and now I am really second guessing myself! Every other person is complaining that their flights were cancelled or delayed 5+ hours! Does anyone have any good experiences with Spirit to reassure me with?

Sorry I can't help. I refuse to fly them because of their price-gouging on everything. If you haven't already paid for your carry-on (or checked) bags, do so now. It gets more expensive the longer you wait.

Does anyone have any good experiences with Spirit to reassure me with?

The biggest complaints about Spirit come from people who were unprepared. You need to look up everything and find out everything. The fee structure they have is punitive. They don't have free carry on. You're allowed one personal size piece. The fee for checked in luggage is less than their carry on fee, but the weight limit is 40 lbs (most airlines are 50 lbs). They'll charge $10 to have an agent print up a boarding pass. The closer you get to the gate, the higher the fee (up to $100). If you miss your flight, it's going to cost a bunch to catch the next flight, so be on time.

However, it's not as it doesn't come with advantages. They have a lot of passengers who travel light or who check in luggage without carry on. On our flights there couldn't have been more than a dozen passengers using the overhead bins. The aisles don't get blocked with people loading/unloading luggage. Everyone was in on time and we left the gate early. There's no fighting about bin space.

It has quirks, but you need to know them going in.

I will be flying them in about a month. I researched everything and came to the conclusion that I could fly them for a short weekend. They were over $100 less per person than the next best flight and are direct from ORD to TPA. I will carry on my backpack which is small enough and I purchased a Ciao under the seat bag from Costco for $29 for my DD because she was nervous about not having a large carry-on bag. It's the right size for a Spirit "personal item" but it looks like a mini carry-on bag with wheels and a handle. I will also print off my boarding passes before I go and I don't really care where I sit.

http://www.costco.com/Ciao-Carry-On-Under-Seat-Rolling-Bag-Black.product.100227611.html

Here's a very helpful blog on Spirit Air filled with great advice: http://www.myinnerg.com/the-spiritair-guide-to-free-luggage/#.VsIatvIrKUm

good advice from bcla, know what the rules are. The 40# thing is a big one. That is not a full size suite case packed solid. One difference between spirit and allegiant is spirit flys new planes that are much more reliable

I'm another who will not fly Spirit again. My one and only experience with them was years ago, long before the piecemeal pricing happened, and I did consider myself a fairly 'prepared' traveler. DS and I were flying from BOS to Myrtle Beach for a long weekend. On our outbound flight, everything was showing on time and confirmed before we left for the the airport. It's less than 1 hr to the airport, and by the time we got there, our flight had been cancelled. We went from our non-stop, be on the beach by noon, flight, to a one-stop, don't arrive to MYR until after 5 pm that night. With VERY little info and updates coming from the Spirit staff.

Coming home, there was very heavy fog up and down the east coast, so there were ground delays all over. We waited at the MYR airport for 6+ past our original departure, with NO updates (no Spirit staffers at the gates at all, and I gave up on calling them after being on hold for over 90 minutes). We did not want to go out past security to ask at the ticket counter, because we had no idea if or when we might be departing.

I totally get that 'stuff happens' and when there are no irregular flight ops, Spirit is fine for what it is, but if anything goes wrong, you are COMPLETELY on your own.

Spirit is fine IF you know the rules and abide by them. I don't think they cancel or delay anymore often than other airlines. Stuff happens. However, I will not use them for anything but shorter flights. They really cram people in there! Their seat pitch is about the tightest of any carrier in the US. 28 inches, which is 3 inches tighter than most other economy seats...that's REALLY tight. Also, often when I compare apples to apples (e.g., the services I get from a mainline carrier and what I get from Spirit), Spirit really isn't the cheapest. They can be the cheapest if (a) you can survive on on small personal item (no carry on baggage and no checked baggage), (b) don't expect to be served even a glass of water for free, (c) you can sit anywhere in any kind of seat and not mind, and (d) you don't need the services of any staff at the airport (they charge you to check in if you want to do it with a human being).

It can be done. I actually did it this past summer with two smal children for a 10 day trip and my parents fly them all the time because of the cheap cost from their area. Definitely read the PP advice about the baggage policies. I am personally very good at getting up to 50 pounds in my checked bags so 40 was rough. Also remember to buy a beverage (if that's what you want like a soda or something) because the drink cart charges and it's more expensive than just buying from the airport shop. Our flight was 2 hours and I even had a 7 month old on my lap and it was manageable. I did know what I was getting into though.

We flew Spirit once and we had no problems with flight delays or cancellations. However I am a little claustrophobic and felt uncomfortable during the flight. You have very little space.

We've flown with them many times out of Atlantic City Airport since the mid-nineties, and are scheduled to again on March 3.
Then after this trip, that's it-We're done with Spirit Airlines unless it gets its act together. We know all too well that no airline is perfect by any stretch, but Spirit has gone awry, IMHO.
We live in rural Southern NJ, and it's about the same to Philly Airport as it is Atlantic City Airport, which we prefer, as it's a smaller airport and has a less hectic feel compared to Philly. Parking's a bit cheaper and no bridge toll nudges our choosing Atlantic City. But Philly's all right, too. We've flown out of there many times as well.

Now the rub(s):
In addition to the aforementioned posts, their website sucks.
I hopped on there just yesterday evening (to overpay for yet another piece of luggage), and lo and behold, my reservation was nowhere to be found. Has anyone ever tried to find a phone number to get a hold of a customer service rep? It's buried on the site, and after a couple of minutes, I just googled it.
And of course, I couldn't understand either of the reps. Felt like I was calling about my freakin' computer....
But, they did locate our reservations, and I hope to fly out on March 3rd. I just checked, and it's on there, so we'll see on March 3rd.,lol.

Not long ago, I watched an interview with Spirit's CEO on 60 Minutes. What a jerk. Matter of fact, he was fired a little over a month ago. I'm sure for not being a jerk, though. The interviewer touched on the cramped seating, and his response was something like "we offer a cheap seat from A to B, if you don't like that, then fly with another airline".
He had some other thoughtful "zingers" during the interview that just made me feel so good about parting with my hard earned money and choosing his "wonderful" airline.
For the life of me, I can't imagine why he's not a CEO any longer:rolleyes:

Finally, we flew Spirit 3 times in 2015, and the inconsistencies between Atlantic City's and Orlando's luggage dimension enforcement was ridiculous.
We were good, as we followed the rules, but for those who didn't, shame on them, I know. But I found Atlantic City to be more lax and/or not check a bag that really should be a carry-on($), but the passenger used it as a free personal item. But in Orlando, Spirit went by the measuring basket thing and they had to cough up money at the gate. That's the right thing to do, and that's what they get, but the rules, no matter how crappy, should apply at all airports.

If the new CEO, that was put in place just last month gets things in order, then we'll consider flying Spirit in the future. I hope he does, as a lot of good folks that now work under him depend on him doing so.

Last edited:
Yes, I've had several good experiences on Spirit. Flights on-time, no problems. That said, like someone mentioned, their seating is very cramped. Severe lack of legroom. I won't fly them anymore unless the fare is low enough to make purchasing the Big Front Seats worthwhile.

I have no problem with their business model, i.e., charging for checked and carry-on bags, advance seat assignments, plus other things. Everything is clearly spelled out before purchasing. It's difficult to NOT know about the so-called "hidden fees" or "extra charges."

I looked into it and all I saw where flights that got to my destination at midnight no thanks or leaving in middle of the night I well pay sw a extra hounded alone not to do that

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that many had ok flights that arrived at their destination. I'm ok with flying with a very small bag as it is just a weekend trip,so I am not paying for a carry on or checked bag. I'm fairly short so can deal with a lack of leg room. Hopefully, everything will go just fine!

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that many had ok flights that arrived at their destination. I'm ok with flying with a very small bag as it is just a weekend trip,so I am not paying for a carry on or checked bag. I'm fairly short so can deal with a lack of leg room. Hopefully, everything will go just fine!

True, there are Spirit horror stories, and that's all many people have ever heard about the airline. But the vast majority of their flights work out just fine. Enjoy your trip.

Just make sure it really does fit the criteria for the free personal item. Can't be any bigger than 16x14x12 or else it is a staggering $100 at the gate.

I fly on Spirit at least once a month..yes, it is cramped and you have to pay for extras..but i know that going in. I love that i can get cheap flights and its an hour drive to the airport for me. The normal flight that i take is only about an hour, so its not as comfortable for a longer flight im sure!

I have never flown them, but my daughter did. No problems getting to Cabo, but on the way back, her second flight was cancelled. Spirit doesn't work with other airlines, so they couldn't put her on another flight for 5 days. 5 days, no offer of hotels, food, or vouchers--just an offer to refund that portion of her flight. Of course, she was flying spirit because she was a college student without a lot of extra money--so she didn't have the funds to hang out for 5 days, or to buy a last minute flight. She and my little sister ended up renting a car, but one way and last minute, that cost more than her flight. No one in our family will fly them ever again because it's not worth getting stranded to us.

Don't let her experience alarm you, though. I think it's rare to have a flight cancelled like that.

Last edited:
Fly Spirit all the time. Love their cheap flights (for my specific route, I can get $34rt for an hour and ten minute flight). I never check bags, have a bag that even though it's small enough to be considered a personal item, I can actually fit 5-7 days worth of clothes into it.

Only once did I have a delay that was worth mentioning (4 hours due to weather). 90% of the time we leave early and arrive early. My route is heavily traveled so I believe these customers are "regulars" and know the deal.

my sister and two nieces were SUPPOSED to fly with spirit on friday from niagara falls to myrtle beach. (family lives in the area)

there was lake effect snow that was going to be done and over with 2+ hrs prior to their flight and no other flight out of either local airport was cancelled EXCEPT FOR THEIRS!
they cancelled way too prematurely in our opinion.

she called to see what her options were.
they could rebook her for today which she was unhappy about what was willing to do and then all the sudden they said there was no room.
so then it would not be until wednesday evening and she was supposed to be flying home friday afternoon.

she did get a full refund since it was not her choice to cancel.

then as she's upset and trying to get off the phone to figure out her next move they were trying to upsell her a credit card!

she considered scraping the whole thing but my one niece who is 7 had waited since july to see my other niece's little half sister because they became best buds.
if you would have seen how upset my niece was you would have found a way to go too.
she was crying that she had prayed to god so hard for the flight to not be cancelled but it was anyways.

my sister went right out and rented a car and they left on saturday morning.

it would have been one thing if spirit had said ok you know what because we screwed you all over you'll leave tomorrow.
but for them to say oh well our next scheduled flight is monday. oh and by the way that one is full so hopefully we can get you on the wednesday flight even though you are coming home on friday.

we'll never consider flying with spirit again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter