• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone flown to Disney with Children Lately

lynr

<font color=peach>How the heck were you missed!<br
I was just wondering after 9/11 are they asking for ID for children now? We are taking my sons friend and I need to know if they need ID. Both kids are 15.

Thanks,
Lyn

I flew 2 weeks after 9/11 with both my kids, then ages 4 and 5 and was not asked for identification for them. Believe me, I asked. Check with your particular airline about their requirements, but I don't think you will have trouble.

Airlines probably won't ask for id, but to be on the safe side, I would have them both bring their school picture id.

Herc.

i had passports for my 2 DS's so we just had them with us and checked the boys in when boarding the same way we did. made them feel important and wasn't really a hassle.

I fly US Airways a lot, and they say anyone over 18 years of age needs government issued photo ID. When they ask them for photo ID, just have the boys say "I'm a minor" and they'll just say "okay". Never had any problems.

I don't think that any airline is asking for ID's for kids under 16.

I got carded by Jet Blue when I flew last February. At the time I was 16. It might've been because my friend and I were flying alone though.

Flew Delta in July with a 14 year old and a 2 year old. No ID asked for (even though my14 year old is 6'2") They only asked for ID from 18 years and older.

I have flown with my children twice since 9/11 and brought copies of their birth certificates as ID. I was asked to show them on the outgoing flight on Southwest, but not the return flight.

The second trip was a school trip with my daughter on ATA and she was asked for two forms of ID on both legs of the flight. She luckily had brought both the copy of the birth certificate and a copy of her social security card. Her school is a K-8 elementary and they do not issue student IDs.

Check the airline's website for required ID for minors, I think each airline has it's own rules, but I think they all require that you have something.

I flew in Jan. w/ my 3, all under 8 and was asked for ID for them. One agent took pity onme, after seeing me searching for all ID's. That was check point one. Then at the gate, also requested by airline agent-DELTA Airlines. Upon return(we flew into Orlando, home to JFK from West Palm Beach, the airport emplyee requested ID and even asked the kids there names. I had their Birth Certificates w/me as we were going on the Disney Cruise.

On Tues. 8/20 I will again be flying to Orlando w/ 2 of the kids. I spoke to Delta. The rep said to have something, either Birth Certificate or Social Security Card.

BETTER TO HAVE, THAN NOT HAVE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE FLYING W/ A CHILD WHO IS NOT YOUR OWN.

And maybe a letter from the parents saying their child is allowed to travel with you? I think that's really only an issue when you leave the country, but it couldn't hurt!

Gillian-
I specifically asked about a letter because I am travelling without my husband. A friend of mine had a friend who had a problem flying w/ her own child because she did not have expressed written consent of the father. It was an international flight. It seems as if it is at the discretion or "whim" of whomever you encounter at the airport. So, a letter can't hurt.

My divorced brother recently went to Ireland w/ his boys and had a NOTORIZED letter of permission from his ex-wife. He did not use it, but he had it if they asked for it.

When we flew in March, they didn't initially want to look at DD's ID because they thought she was under 18 (she's 20, but looks about 16). Then they said only 18 and over needed ID.
I do know that one parent (or someone who is not a parent) has needed ID for the child for a long time. Like someone else said, it's to help prevent non-custodial parents from removing a child from the custodial parent. My mom flew alone with a grand-daughter about 7 years ago and was told she would need to have ID for the child and a letter from the parents authorizing her to have the child. The same thing happened when my sister flew to WDW 10 years ago with her 2 kids and my mom.

We flew very soon after Sep 11. I got state ID cards for my two big kids just in case. We got them from the Motor Vehicle Admin. They look like driver's licenses. We didn't need them, but they were easy enough to get that I'd probably do it again. They're big for their ages, so now I have proof of age if I ever need it. If I had a 15yo I would definitely get one.

It couldn't hurt to get a letter from your son's friend's parents, too. Again, better to be on the safe side.

I flew Delta in March and was only asked for ID for person 18 and older....only DH and myself feel into this catagory.....none of my 4 kids were ever asked for ID.....

We flew last month with a 5 year old and a 6 month old. We were never asked for identification for either of them. We have flown to Florida every year since my 5 year old was born and they have never asked me for ID. I agree with the other posters here, if you are travelling with a child that is not your own, I would get his parents to write a letter stating you are his legal guardian while he is travelling with you and approving his flying to another state/city.. Better to be safe than sorry in that respect. If your kids have an ID from school with a photo, you may as well bring it, it won't hurt to have it.

We were not asked for ID for our girls last December on Delta. Their website says 18 and over need ID.

Most Americans get drivers licenses at 16, so that, IME, is the age where airlines will expect passengers to have ID. If they have any kind of ID from school, a learner's permit, or a passport, I would bring it, just to mitigate any hassle.

If you are travelling with a minor not your own, you should DEFINITELY get a notorized letter of permission from his parents authorizing you to authorize emergency health care, and a copy of his health insurance card. At that age, he could travel alone, so you probably do not need a letter showing his permission to travel with you, unless you are crossing an international border.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter