Has anyone found sensible car hire prices yet?

Just gone through Expedia and booked the same car from the same company for £370 less than we paid in October of last year.

A Midsize SUV from Sixt (Toyota RAV 4 is the example they give). We paid £1802.51 in October 2021. Booked it today for £1434.22, and then cancelled the October booking.

If you've made a booking it may be worth checking again and seeing if you can rebook and cancel to save some money.

Gone even better today. Got another Midsuze SUV (Jeep Compass or similar) for £1,051 through Expedia.

That £750 saved will come in very handy.

That's a pickup on 4th August and drop-off on 25th August. So it works out about £50 a day, as opposed to the £85 or so a day I was paying in my original booking.

So if you've already booked it's probably well worth your while having a look again to see if you can get a cheaper deal.

That's a pickup on 4th August and drop-off on 25th August. So it works out about £50 a day, as opposed to the £85 or so a day I was paying in my original booking.

So if you've already booked it's probably well worth your while having a look again to see if you can get a cheaper deal.
Thanks! I just did. Even for only 4 days in late August, I managed to rebook the exact same rental for 442.90€ instead of 574€...

I've been stalking the websites for 2 months now. It started at just under £800 (for 10 days in August), and it's now around £600. It was £574 at one point, but as the pound plummeted the price has increased again. I should have booked at that time, but you live and learn.

Finally booked our hire car today. 10 days in August for compact SUV with Alamo (only 2 of us) for only £543, which is way less than I thought I would have to pay when I first started looking 2 months ago. I've also registered for skip the line so I just go straight to the parking garage, choose a compact SUV and off we go (can it really be that simple??).

I STILL think it's too expensive.

22 days is £1,065 for a compact for us starting on August 5th. Add on the resort parking fee of around £470 and I'm looking at over £1,500.

This is the first time in 30 years that we haven't had a car. I'll report back with how much the numerous Uber's/Lyft/Airport Transfer/2 day car hire (KSC/Busch Gardens) costs.

Probably said this already but actually looking forward to not driving and hoping that the Uber/Lyft thing is as convenient as it seems.

We did our first trip without a car ever in May. My Dad is the usual driver and he said he enjoyed it but missed being able to go off and just pop to a shop or get food somewhere non-Disney. Hoping by next year car hire at least is a little more sensible in price

We did our first trip without a car ever in May. My Dad is the usual driver and he said he enjoyed it but missed being able to go off and just pop to a shop or get food somewhere non-Disney. Hoping by next year car hire at least is a little more sensible in price

That's one of the things we like too, sometimes we'd be sat in the bus line for a water park and thought 'let's just grab the car', or 'let's go get lunch somewhere'.

However, that's not something we would do every day, just occasionally, and more often than not the car would spend the entire day in the parking lot at the resort.

So my reasoning is, that car is costing £70 per day just sitting there waiting for me to use it. On days that I WOULD use it, an Uber is literally minutes away from the front entrance to the resort. It's already airconned when I get in it and, in fact, it will be quicker than me actually going to my rental car, starting up the aircon for a few minutes to cool it down and getting out on the road.

That's the theory......I'll see what it's like in practice in a couple of weeks time ;-)

That's one of the things we like too, sometimes we'd be sat in the bus line for a water park and thought 'let's just grab the car', or 'let's go get lunch somewhere'.

However, that's not something we would do every day, just occasionally, and more often than not the car would spend the entire day in the parking lot at the resort.

So my reasoning is, that car is costing £70 per day just sitting there waiting for me to use it. On days that I WOULD use it, an Uber is literally minutes away from the front entrance to the resort. It's already airconned when I get in it and, in fact, it will be quicker than me actually going to my rental car, starting up the aircon for a few minutes to cool it down and getting out on the road.

That's the theory......I'll see what it's like in practice in a couple of weeks time ;-)

My company has now a "work from anywhere" policy and I'm thinking about spending a couple of months in Orlando next year. If I go to a park daily, Uber would cost me on average $50 for roundtrip and I probably wouldn't go every evening during the week. So a car should be cheaper than $50 a day to be convenient.

My company has now a "work from anywhere" policy and I'm thinking about spending a couple of months in Orlando next year. If I go to a park daily, Uber would cost me on average $50 for roundtrip and I probably wouldn't go every evening during the week. So a car should be cheaper than $50 a day to be convenient.

Well if I was offsite I would most definitely get a car. Don’t forget about the cost of parking at the parks though.

Although if you’re just going on an evening I guess that won’t be a factor

I STILL think it's too expensive.

22 days is £1,065 for a compact for us starting on August 5th. Add on the resort parking fee of around £470 and I'm looking at over £1,500.

This is the first time in 30 years that we haven't had a car. I'll report back with how much the numerous Uber's/Lyft/Airport Transfer/2 day car hire (KSC/Busch Gardens) costs.

Probably said this already but actually looking forward to not driving and hoping that the Uber/Lyft thing is as convenient as it seems.

I used Uber for some pretty sizeable journeys out in LA in January, worked out 40% cheaper then the car hire and not even considering the fuel and parking!

If you stay on property and only need a car for the likes of Universal, Seaworld etc I think you'll make a saving...

I've been keeping an eye on prices and they are coming back down. Cheapest was a Tesla at low £700 for 14 days next summer, I'm not going until Nov so keep checking dates as far in advance as I can book to check prices. July / Aug 2023 have dropped from £1200 to as low as £700, possibly not checked exact dates but always 14 days hire all car types and see what's cheapest intermediate upwards.

Keep an eye on hire car companies trying to charge you for fuel, even when the tank is full on return. Alamo tried to do that to me last week - they charged my card straight away as soon as I dropped it off, so I got a refund (it was full when I returned it). I took photos of the fuel gauge before and after I picked it up to prove it was full. Avis did this to me last time too, but tried to imply the gauge was slightly down, so I didn't get a refund from them.

We are doing a one way rental from Miami Airport next month.

Are these the current open on property car rental locations?

WDW Car Care Center (Outside Magic Kingdom)
- Alamo
- National
- Enterprise ($399 one way fee)

1751 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Hilton Hotel at Disney World (Adjacent to Disney Springs)
- Avis

2305 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, DoubleTree Suites Disney Springs Area (Further along near the entrance of Disney property )
- Budget
- Payless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter