Has anyone had anything stolen from your resort room?

I was just reading that someone had medication & other things stolen on several occasions at AKL. Has anyone else had this experience & if so, what was stolen & at which resort? TIA!
Not me but had a good friend that had some things stolen from the room safe while at Beach Club about two years ago. Nothing super valuable from what I was told but some inexpensive costume jewelry and a couple cheap watches. Still he was kind of upset that they got in.

Not me but had a good friend that had some things stolen from the room safe while at Beach Club about two years ago. Nothing super valuable from what I was told but some inexpensive costume jewelry and a couple cheap watches. Still he was kind of upset that they got in.
So odd that they would lock those inexpensive things up to begin with?

We travel frequently all over the county and over hundreds of stays - WDW and not - we’ve never had anything go missing. iPads, laptops, cash, jewelry. Guess we’ve been lucky but I never feel paranoid about it either.

Never.

It is funny, as someone posted about above, how the mind immediately jumps to theft when something is just misplaced.

Never in many trips to WDW and elsewhere. We take precautions any time we travel, i.e., locking valuables in the safe, not leaving electronics in plain view, etc. I leave nice but not expensive costume jewelry on the bathroom counter at times, but its never been taken (and often is arranged neatly...more neatly than I left things...along with my other toiletries).

When we travel anywhere..... Anything of value goes in the safe - med's, keys, electronic's - lap top, i-pad, extra cash if needed, we use a passport holder with RFID to hold passports and extra cc... to protect and prevent scanning... - DH checks all the accounts several times a day to make sure everything is okay...

We have had two times where something went missing,... I can't say if it was at the hotel or airport the 1st time -I was missing a scarf, gloves and hat( watch cap style) ,out of the front pocket of my checked bag... I had planned to use them when we landed, I did not need them right away so I did not check at the airport... they weren't expensive so they were easily replace... 2nd time it happened in the hotel for sure.... was some really nice brands of travel size, hand lotion, eye cream, face moisturizer, lip balm, make-up remover towelettes for single use... Luckily I did have extra ones in my checked bag... so I was able to get dressed.... When I realize they were gone, I went downstairs and ask to speak to a manager, and he was very nice, and apologized, called the housekeeping supervisor right there... He said he would get back to me later in the day, which he did get back with me.... he did not offer any details but did tell us that the housekeeping supervisor would be taking care of our room, gave us a 50 dollar credit for food and drinks, and when we got back from touring, there was a huge gift set from the spa, along with all the items that I had been taken... which was completely unexpected...

Last edited:
I have shared this before and will do so again. Our daughter, a poor college student at the time, had $30 removed from her purse while staying at the Polynesian in CL. This was all the money she had on the trip and she was hoping to find something to purchase and commemorate her last trip on our dime. She didn't carry her purse in the parks, but the morning of the theft she removed it from the safe to extract something or other she needed--lipstick or chapstick, IIRC. Rather than putting it back in the safe, she placed it on the shelf next to it and went about her business getting ready for the day. My husband had the safe open and was reconciling charges to date. When he placed his items back in the safe, he didn't put the purse in the safe and our daughter didn't think about it again because she thought her Dad was replacing it when he closed it up for the day.

We went off to the parks and about our day. Came back, visited the pool in the afternoon. While out poolside, our daughter popped into GCH and found a hoodie on sale and decided to purchase it with her funds. She charged it to our room and when we returned to the room she went to the safe to retrieve her purse and repay us for the charge. She was surprised to see the purse sitting on the shelf and more surprised to find her $30 gone from the wallet.

We were not in the habit of leaving valuables lying about the room and this one oversight was a valuable reminder that you need to be cautious. We were in CL for goodness sake and the Hawaii building is keyed entry only. We reported it and while our concierge folks were sympathetic, they were powerless to do anything more than the usual "we'll have security look into it" routine. The dollar amount was too small to waste the time of the local authorities and Disney did nothing to compensate her. She was really upset over that money because, as I said, she was a poor college student at the time and didn't have much disposable income.

BTW, we paid for the hoodie. :flower1:

We've never had anything taken in about 14 trips to value resorts. We'll often put computers and medications out of sight, like set them in the suitcase or closet, but we never lock anything up (and we've quite often left computers and such out). I'm sure it happens, though, they must employ a ton of people.

No. Never. Nor do we bring anything of value on vacation besides i.d. and one cc each. Occasionally we bring an iPad and It's always kept locked in the safe.

Never thought to lock meds in the safe so thanks for that tip!!

We haven't. We actually had the opposite experience at AKL - we left two iPads behind after checking out. We made one phone call, and they were able to confirm they found them and they overnighted them to our house.

Just wild to imagine someone risking their job, future employment and possible legal repercussions over some costume jewelry or clothing or travel size toiletries or only $30 in cash.

Or they go for the small things that they figure most people won't notice or bother reporting. Or they know Disney won't even look into it since it's so small and not worth much. Or they know Disney figures people misplace things yet blame it on Disney.

If you take a cell phone those can most likely be tracked with the "find my iphone" option.

I've never had anything stolen at any hotel. But we really don't take things of value to Disney. We take our cell phones that we carry with us through the parks so they never stay in the room. We charge to our MB's so we take minimal cash that we put in the safe if we aren't carrying it with us. We take two credit cards, one we carry with us and the other goes into the safe along with our wallets. If we bring a lap top (only brought it once because my SO had a fantasy football draft one night) we put it in the safe. Same with DD's ipad that she brought once. Everything else is left out and if someone steals something then they steal it.

I don't know if this really counts, but last December I stayed at the Boardwalk and left several pairs of new, high-end sandals and shoes behind. Including Disney limited edition pair of Toms, several Clarks and Croc sandals, etc. I called the next day after we left and apparently the housekeepers and staff had no note of them. So someone must have had a great day filled with free, new shoes.

Nope, never. It is something I worry about, though. So, when DH wants to take along his $1600 laptop, I talk him out of it. It is too big for the safe, and I would worry about it getting taken. He doesn't actually need it. It's like a comfort item to him. LOL.

My solution is to buy a padlock for the suitcase and leave my laptop locked in there. More secure than a room safe because Housekeeping does not have access to it.

In January, We discovered that my husband's purple, nearly new, Converse were missing out of a box being stored at bell services at Pop. We informed both the resort manager and bell services manager about the theft. They said we would hear from them about the problem, but never did. That's when we found out that bell services are not Disney Cast Members but an out sourced company.
We didn't expect anything from Disney, other then an acknowledgement of the problem. Never heard a thing. Disappointing.

In January, We discovered that my husband's purple, nearly new, Converse were missing out of a box being stored at bell services at Pop. We informed both the resort manager and bell services manager about the theft. They said we would hear from them about the problem, but never did. That's when we found out that bell services are not Disney Cast Members but an out sourced company.
We didn't expect anything from Disney, other then an acknowledgement of the problem. Never heard a thing. Disappointing.
What a bummer. That needs to change. Why didn't disney react?

Maybe they didn't believe us? When my husband told me that they were missing, my thought was, Who would want used shoes. My husband told me that all Converse shoes are valuable, especially, in other parts of the world. No matter if they are used or not. They were also, a purple named Eggplant, which is a color only offered once every few years.
He was really bummed about losing his shoes, but very disappointed with Disney.

Just wild to imagine someone risking their job, future employment and possible legal repercussions over some costume jewelry or clothing or travel size toiletries or only $30 in cash.
And yet it happens countless times every single day! Good friend who is police detective once told me if a thief can steal something and get $10 for it it's $10 worth of drugs he didn't have before!

My solution is to buy a padlock for the suitcase and leave my laptop locked in there. More secure than a room safe because Housekeeping does not have access to it.
Just a head's up: Housekeeping doesn't have access to the room safe. That would be either the Maintenance or Front Office departments. A special code or mechanism is used to open a locked safe and it's automatically logged in when used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter