Has anyone seen a cockroach in an MDR?

I refuse to feel belittled by the “it’s just a prank” or “it looks so obviously fake” comments. Just no. No bugs in MDR.

How would you like this “prank?” You’re enjoying a quiet drink someone on board and a kids programming CM comes running in yelling that your kid fell over board. A few seconds later, your kid pops out from behind the door - surprise! Hahaha, so funny! NOT!

The fact is, at the end of the day, it hasn't happened to you. If it does, you have every right to complain if you want, but your reaction to something that hasn't yet happened - probably won't happen - is quite frankly, ridiculous.

It sounds like you're going into your cruise looking for things to complain about.

The fact is, at the end of the day, it hasn't happened to you. If it does, you have every right to complain if you want, but your reaction to something that hasn't yet happened - probably won't happen - is quite frankly, ridiculous.

It sounds like you're going into your cruise looking for things to complain about.

I’m really not, I promise. I’m pretty easy going. Our assistant server knocked over my water two weeks ago and it landed in my lap. Other than to ask for something to mop it up, I didn’t bat an eye. They were all super apologetic. It didn’t phase me. Though, I admit, red wine would have been a different story.

I have a cockroach phobia. It’s my line in the sand. I’m not going into this cruise looking for something to complain about. I don’t want to lose my &$#@! over something and then be mortified for the rest of the cruise because people recognize me as the woman who overreacted.

Honestly, I’m glad I asked this question and we’ve had this discussion. It sounds like the roach prank is rare, but does happen. And when it does, it’s on the Fantasy. Since that is the ship I’ll be sailing, I feel fore-armed with knowledge and can appropriately discuss it with our serving team before it becomes an issue. Yes, I resent needing to do that. But I would hate the prank even more. See? I’m trying to NOT find things to complain about.

Last edited:
What is weird is everyone says they have to do pranks as part of their jobs, but we had zero “pranks” on our two cruises on the dream. We had puzzles magic tricks from our servers and they were great. People have pointed to Whispering Canyon but none of the jokes there were scare/gross out jokes either. This is just not a funny or appropriate joke.

What is weird is everyone says they have to do pranks as part of their jobs, but we had zero “pranks” on our two cruises on the dream. We had puzzles magic tricks from our servers and they were great. People have pointed to Whispering Canyon but none of the jokes there were scare/gross out jokes either. This is just not a funny or appropriate joke.

In six cruises, I've never had any pranks, either. Crayon brain-teasers, squeaky-balls, origami, magic tricks, but never a practical joke meant to startle me or make me feel squeamish.

I don't have a "thing" about bugs, but it just seems like there are so many other ways to entertain a guest besides making a joke at their expense.

In six cruises, I've never had any pranks, either. Crayon brain-teasers, squeaky-balls, origami, magic tricks, but never a practical joke meant to startle me or make me feel squeamish.

11 cruises here and same experience. I wonder if some of the newer crew were looking for something different to do and settled on pranks? If so, one would think the supervisory/management staff would have put the kibosh on it. As evidenced by this thread, different people respond to pranks differently. It's not appropriate for an employee/customer interaction unless they well enough acquainted to know boundaries.

In 17 DCL cruises, we have never seen or even heard of this. Never been pranked, never seen anyone pranked, I'm wondering if this even happened

In 17 DCL cruises, we have never seen or even heard of this. Never been pranked, never seen anyone pranked, I'm wondering if this even happened

I’ve been on 5 DCL cruises and never experienced pranks either. But lots of people here are saying they exist. My personal philosophy is: Just because something hasn’t happened to me personally, doesn’t mean it doesn’t really exist. Kind of like racism. No one’s ever been racist to me. That doesn’t mean others don’t experience it. :confused3

Maybe the next time you’re on the Fantasy you can ask your servers if they’ve ever heard of pranking amongst their coworkers, particularly of the roach variety. I certainly will.

I've been on 7 DCL cruises and never been pranked. I don't see that "everyone" is saying pranks are part of the job. It appears to me there are maybe 2 or 3 people on this thread saying they are. I don't think pranks are part of the job, and I would find it highly inappropriate if I was pranked by my serving team on a cruise. There is a time and place for those things, and the MDR on a DCL ship isn't one of those places. Whispering Canyon and 50s Prime Time are different because the gags are part of the atmosphere at those restaurants. And I do enjoy the jokes, riddles, and puzzles I've experienced in the past from our serving teams.

If there's any dining concern, I'd talk to my server(s). They go out of their way to make you happy and learn your favorite drink, way you prefer your meat, and anything else they can do for your enjoyment. I'd say the same applies here. If you don't wish to participate in any pranks/shenanigans/tomfoolery (bugs, or otherwise,) inform your server. Best wishes for a great trip!

Maybe the next time you’re on the Fantasy you can ask your servers if they’ve ever heard of pranking amongst their coworkers, particularly of the roach variety. I certainly will.

I understand you have a "thing" about roaches, but I'm not sure if anyone in this thread is as invested as you are about getting to the bottom of this roach-cookie gag.

Based on the number of frequent cruisers in this thread who have replied "it's never happened to me, and I've never seen it happen", my guess is that the chance of this happening to you is pretty darn low.

But if you want to cover all bases on this, it's very simple. Let DCL know before your first MDR visit that you'd prefer no practical jokes. Done.

So I will chime in, we have had this happen to us on our last cruise on Fantasy April 2018. The group at our table were all adults without kids, and we were having a good time with our server team. They were doing an excellent job, and talked and joked with us the whole trip. One night my husband was giving our assistant server some ribbing or teasing (all in good fun, never mean or anything) and she pulled the cookie prank. My table started busting out laughing, as did our server team.

We all thought it was super funny, especially my husband who was served the cookie and jumped. While I can see some sides of this discussion having a negative impact, we all loved it and thought it was great for the server team to interact with us like that. Im glad it happened to us, we had a really good laugh and made the trip more memorable.

I understand you have a "thing" about roaches, but I'm not sure if anyone in this thread is as invested as you are about getting to the bottom of this roach-cookie gag.

Based on the number of frequent cruisers in this thread who have replied "it's never happened to me, and I've never seen it happen", my guess is that the chance of this happening to you is pretty darn low.

But if you want to cover all bases on this, it's very simple. Let DCL know before your first MDR visit that you'd prefer no practical jokes. Done.

Yup, I am invested. I’m the OP. I wouldn’t have brought it up if I wasn’t. But thanks for your input.

After confirmation that this prank does, indeed, happen regardless of how many times you have sailed and not seen it, I will be sure to speak to my servers in advance. That way, I can have a magical cruise and the servers will still get their magical gratuities.

Yup, I am invested. I’m the OP. I wouldn’t have brought it up if I wasn’t. But thanks for your input.

I didn’t mean to sound harsh. I totally get it. I myself have a “thing” about belly-buttons. My wife has a “thing” about eyeballs. Everybody’s got their something.

I just meant that the solution is easy. I have found that talking to servers and/or Guest Services ahead of time and laying out the situation works, in my experience.

For example, on our first cruise, the servers were really up in my 3-y.o.’s face trying to entertain him. They meant no harm, but it was apparent (to us, anyway) that these strangers insisting on getting so close was making our son uncomfortable. After the second night, I mentioned it to my head server - didn’t want to get anyone in trouble, but could they please dial it down a notch? It was not a problem again.

On our second cruise, our servers were really doing the “hard sell” on the kid light-up cups. Not asking us if we’d like to see the cups, but just brining them out unsolicited, lighting them up, sticking them in front of our kids’ faces and then making me and my wife be the “bad guys” in turning the cups down.

I emailed Guest Services in advance of our third cruise and told them that while I know the servers were just doing as they were instructed (push the cup up-sell), I did not enjoy that experience. I asked that in the future, on any cruise, the servers do not bring out the cups unless given our express permission to do so.

Four cruises later, we have never had the “cup problem” again. The servers mention the cups, but once we politely decline, that’s the end of it.

I think they are really good about notating your profile regarding stuff like this when you notify them in advance.

If someone has a phobia of bugs that is so severe that it would ruin their entire meal or even worse, their entire cruise, if they were pranked with a plastic insect then they should probably consider having their phobia noted on their reservation prior to sailing, similar to what people with allergies do.

If someone has a phobia of bugs that is so severe that it would ruin their entire meal or even worse, their entire cruise, if they were pranked with a plastic insect then they should probably consider having their phobia noted on their reservation prior to sailing, similar to what people with allergies do.

Well sure, but I can't even imagine that anyone would think of this. If you go to a fine dining restaurant or let's say mid-level dining restaurant, which is kinda how the MDRs are, you would say to your server, "I have a severe allergy to shellfish". But would you ever, in the real world, say to your server, "Also I have a severe phobia of bugs". Of course not. The reality is that no one expects a prank like this, so it's completely unreasonable to list what is ostensibly a very unique 'phobia' that ordinarily is entirely unrelated to food.

Well sure, but I can't even imagine that anyone would think of this. If you go to a fine dining restaurant or let's say mid-level dining restaurant, which is kinda how the MDRs are, you would say to your server, "I have a severe allergy to shellfish". But would you ever, in the real world, say to your server, "Also I have a severe phobia of bugs". Of course not. The reality is that no one expects a prank like this, so it's completely unreasonable to list what is ostensibly a very unique 'phobia' that ordinarily is entirely unrelated to food.
Good point. Nobody who's read this thread has an excuse if it happens to them now though. ;)

I totally disagree, it is not something that should ever happen, so no, they should not have to make that caveat.

Good point. Nobody who's read this thread has an excuse if it happens to them now though. ;)
Totally disagree with this too. Fake bugs should never ever be presented by a dining room staff at anytime or any place. I will not give my serving team fair warning on my next cruise, (with Disney or Carnival), and I will call out any servers who would pull this prank. It is beyond unacceptable behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter