Has anyone walked the decks (Not the plank!)?

MouseinMelbourne

DIS Veteran
We’re leaving on our short little 3 day on the Fantasy in less than two weeks. I live 40 minutes from the port so I know how hot and humid it is here, only to be worse onboard south of here. So I’m not interested in walking Deck 4 for exercise (I average 90 minute walks, or about 10,000 steps for one session). Has anyone ever walked all the decks of the ship one by one? Do you know how many steps it is? Thats the only way I can figure out how to get some exercise in...while still inside air-conditioning! I know, I know, there’s a gym. Meh.

Great idea. You can do a lot of walking on that ship.

Maybe out to sea it will be a little cooler and you can walk inside and out.

And I always walk Deck 4. Lately, I have cruised mostly on the Magic, so I walk the upper deck a few laps too. I hate the gym, I love walking outside only. Heat and humidity does get in the way. I am in NJ and we have had some horrible hot and humid weather recently.

Hopefully, you will get your answer on how many steps. Or just walk for time.

Have a great cruise.

Lol don’t know the steps but have walked all decks doing the detective game with the kids...lol So not in heard of.

That’s a lot of walking and time consuming for such a short trip.

I have to walk around the decks quite a bit to distribute FEs and I wouldn't recommend it for exercise just because those halls are super narrow and you are always stopping to let a stroller or a housekeeping cart pass. I bet it'd be great exercise to walk up and down the stairwells though!

I bet it'd be great exercise to walk up and down the stairwells though!

That was my thought too. I couldn’t get my heart rate up on the long stretches because I would be very careful of other people and wouldn’t go too fast. But those stairs! I may challenge myself to go all the way up and all the way back down a few times in a row. 😵🥴

Yes we always walk deck 4. 2.5 laps is a mile and there is always a breeze when the ship is moving. I tracked my steps most days and even without the walking was getting over around 8000 steps just walking around the ship throughout the day.

I don't have an exact count of steps from walking the decks, but I looked back at my activity and I average about 10000 steps per day. I didn't do any specific "exercise" walking, but we did often take the stairs rather than waiting for the elevator, played the Midship Detective Agency game, and just did some normal exploring. So, I think whether you want to talk around deck 4, which does often have a nice breeze, or want to stay inside, you can get plenty of steps.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Don't have an exact count for steps, everyone is a little different in their stride, but I do Deck 4 then the stairs to the top deck (above the pool deck) then back down the stairs to 4 and repeat. I'm not a runner but a walker that is moving at a good clip. Three times in this pattern and the wash is ready for the dryer. That's my "timed" workout.

^ was going to say the same - steps are different for everyone. I take waaaay more steps than my lanky husband trying to keep up! As one of the previous posters said, 2.5 laps on deck 4 is a mile, so if you know your steps per mile you'll have a close answer! :)

Last month on the Magic, on days that I needed just a few hundred more steps to hit my 10,000 before bedtime, I walked around Deck 8. I couldn't get all the way around because of the bridge, so I cut across the foreward elevator bay. Deck 7 should also work. As mentioned, this would be best late at night or early in the morning when there aren't many people and carts in the corridors.

We played the Midship Detective Game on our last Fantasy cruise and we decided in advance we would not use the elevators at all. I don't know how many steps it was but we were very tired afterwards. I intend to use my step counter on our upcoming cruise to play it and see just how many steps it actually racks up. It's a pretty decent workout but way more interesting than just walking about.

My personal rule is that I don't use elevators while onboard.... Great way to burn the extra cruise calories. It was easy when I was younger. As time has gone on, I have to keep asking why I setup this silly rule....
We have a rule for all of the kids on cruises - no elevators. They must use the stairs. We explained that the elevators are for people who can't use the stairs (elderly, disabled, parents with strollers, etc.) and since their legs work just fine, they have to use the stairs. And it's good for them, too. Helps burn off all those ice cream cones!

I have to walk around the decks quite a bit to distribute FEs and I wouldn't recommend it for exercise just because those halls are super narrow and you are always stopping to let a stroller or a housekeeping cart pass. I bet it'd be great exercise to walk up and down the stairwells though!

And then you get to really take in all the great artwork in the stairwells!

While I have done plenty of walking on the ships and mainly take the stairs I would not see that it is very conducive to a workout type walk. If you want it is possible to achieve 2-4 miles a day just by walking around as long as you don’t take too much “lounger time”.

I routinely run while on the ships and Disney , with the deck 4, probably has one of the nicer environments for walking/jogging at sea. My typical runs are 3-4 miles but my longest I have ever done on the ship is 12 miles. Expect that it can be humid but usually there is a nice breeze on at least one side of the ship. Extra bonus is sometimes the breeze is in your face, but as you circle the ship it means that half of the time it is a tail wind.

The earlier you walk Deck 4, the better. It doesn't get overly crowded, but it's usually not as hot in the early morning and far less people. As others have said, it's 2.5 laps per mile. There's a sign on the route telling you the distance.

You can also hit the gym on the boat at 7am. I like the view from the gym on the Wonder better than the Dream or the Fantasy, but on all of the boats, it's pretty cool to view the water while you're exercising.

I just looked up the Fantasy and the total length of the ship is 1,115 feet. That's not all walk-able space. Certain decks don't wrap around so you can't walk "around" each deck. Most of them don't.
I would imagine you could easily walk about 700 ft per deck give or take a few feet. It's 5280 feet in a mile. So it won't take long to rack up several miles in a day if you choose. Stairs are a great way to keep up the heart rate. Of course, the gym has many treadmills.
But I think getting in 10k steps a day on the ship is VERY easy to do.

There are also treadmills in the gym as long as you are 18+.

The lines for the elevators are so long that we just used the stairs. We were clocking 20+ flights of stairs a day. I was joking with my husband that it was the stairmaster vacation. We were definitely not lounging around all day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter