Has Dinty Moore changed the flavor of their beef stew?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Yesterday my parents and I had Dinty Moore Beef Stew for dinner and when I was eating it I noticed that the flavor has somehow changed and the gravy broth is not the same and the meat is more like hamburger meat and it surprised me that Hormel has done this to Dinty Moore Beef Stew and I would like to ask if anyone has noticed the same thing when eating Dinty Moore Beef Stew? I think that Hormel has experimented a new taste for Dinty Moore Beef Stew and this is how it's gonna be made from now on. I was shocked because I have been a fan of Dinty Moore Stew for years and was surprised to see the new taste

Lots of things have cheapened their ingredients to keep a price point.

It's called skimpflation.

So for example:
Water is now the #1 ingredient in Campbell’s Cream of Potato Soup, its used to be potatoes.
They use modified corn starch instead

Lots of companies changed sugar to High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Lots of adding oils that are not all the good for you.
So for example you are just trying to buy some plain old nuts as a health snack.
Lots of them are using seed oils - which many people don't want to eat, but its a cheaper process to use those to roast nuts for example.

Lots of candy is not as good as it used to be. We used to buy a box of roses candy for holiday's. They used to be really good and every time we go to Ireland we pick up a box. I often special order them here.
The last box I ordered was not so good, I just figured they were old. Nope. We bought a box over in Ireland and they were not good at all.
They also changed several of the varieties to cheaper ones. I think that distracted people from the fact that the new recipes are awful.

This is not a new thing of course. McDonalds changed the oils they use to cook their French fries years ago, and they are not the same. I don't eat them anymore.

Disney went on that "healthy" eating kick a few years back and started uses the cheapest products possible.
One example that really stuck out was the hot dogs at Casey's in magic Kingdom and the quick service burgers around the parks. They started using "healthy" bun, but the cheapest variety and they were inedible. They fell apart as you tried to eat them. It was so bad people were brining their own buns, or eating the hotdog with a knife and fork and throwing away the bun.

I'd say its not going to get better any time soon, if ever.

So Dinty Moore has changed the taste of their beef stew? Because when my mom and I were eating it Mom noticed that it tasted different and I knew the gravy broth wasn't the same as the last time I had it and I wonder why Dinty Moore did this? Is there another brand of beef stew that compares to Dinty Moore?
Thank you for the info Tony67

Dinty Moore
If you google "dinty moore changes recipe" there is lots of talk about it.
Some people even calling it Vegan as there was no meat at all.

I started ignoring canned soup a few years ago, just for the amount of salt they put in it, let alone all this other stuff.

Initially I though I had lost my taste from covid, but in reality so many food just are not what they were.

If you google "dinty moore changes recipe" there is lots of talk about it.
Some people even calling it Vegan as there was no meat at all.

I started ignoring canned soup a few years ago, just for the amount of salt they put in it, let alone all this other stuff.

Initially I though I had lost my taste from covid, but in reality so many food just are not what they were.
I mentioned in another thread that I thought maybe my taste had changed because of Covid as well. I noticed that things didn't taste the same or, most times, didn't taste good at all. And these were things that I have enjoyed all my life. Maybe they're changing ingredients and that is the cause? Certainly makes more sense to me.

I noticed that the flavor has somehow changed and the gravy broth is not the same and the meat is more like hamburger meat
I probably haven't brought Dinty Moore Beef Stew in 20 years. My wife didn't like it then because it was hamburger meat back then, so that part isn't new.

I mentioned in another thread that I thought maybe my taste had changed because of Covid as well. I noticed that things didn't taste the same or, most times, didn't taste good at all. And these were things that I have enjoyed all my life. Maybe they're changing ingredients and that is the cause? Certainly makes more sense to me.
Yeah - no doubt a big part of of it is skimpflation.

I suspect some of it is having COVID and loosing taste and smell and not getting it back 100%.
Not being able to taste things was the worst.

Also just age, test buds are not as good as you get older I think.

Ahhhh Dinty Moore Beef Stew....we always brought cans of that with us when we went camping with our parents and would heat it up over a camp stove. Have not had it in decades but just the name brought back some great memories!! Thanks!!

I agree with Tony67 with age having to do a bit with tasting foods. DH and I have been noticing taste being different in several things I cook in the past few years. We really noticed it recently in the tostados I made which I hadn't made in a long while.

I figure in my 70 years my tongue/taste buds have been through a lot. :)

Don’t use canned soups, or anything of the sort, due to sodium levels. I can honestly say that I could never eat canned beef stew. However, there are so many items that have changed over the years due to skimpflation. I wouldn’t doubt that is the reason for the taste change. We make things from scratch for health reasons but have heard from others that items taste different than when they were kids. It could also be taste buds changing.

All tinned stews smell and look like dog food IMO. As a kid in the 70’s yep we ate it alongside tinned corned beef / spam / ham. Nowadays I wouldn’t serve it to my dogs and chickens.

All tinned stews smell and look like dog food IMO. As a kid in the 70’s yep we ate it alongside tinned corned beef / spam / ham. Nowadays I wouldn’t serve it to my dogs and chickens.
Ever notice that many dog foods have a USDA inspection sticker indicating they are fit for human consumption?

DH and I had Dinty Moore beef stew a couple nights ago. We like it a couple times during the winter months, served over rice. I noticed the gravy was thicker, which was fine. But also noticed no carrot slices, just very few tiny little pieces. So many foods have changed, and most not for the better.

Ahhhh Dinty Moore Beef Stew....we always brought cans of that with us when we went camping with our parents and would heat it up over a camp stove. Have not had it in decades but just the name brought back some great memories!! Thanks!!

I could have written your response!! Haha!!

I grew up eating it on camping trips with my parents too! Also haven't eaten it in decades, probably close to 40 years.

I hadn't had it in a while, and had a craving for it, so I bought a small can. I noticed the difference in looks and in taste immediately. I won't be buying it again.

I hadn't had it in a while, and had a craving for it, so I bought a small can. I noticed the difference in looks and in taste immediately. I won't be buying it again.

I have a can in the cupboard. Maybe I'll open it up tonight and try if. Haven't had it in awhile. When I eat it, I put in on buttered bread and eat it. Crazy I know but whatever. ;) :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter