Status
Not open for further replies.
Again -- let me clarify. (Internet discourse makes conversations like this tricky, so I apologize.) I don't mean that all wheelchairs and ECVs should use the DAS line. I understand the negative impact that would cause. What I meant was that some people have mobility/pain issues that wheelchairs and ECVs wouldn't solve.

For instance, my friend's father has rods in his back that actually make sitting more painful than walking/standing, but walking is still painful, especially on concrete. Allowing him to cut down on the walking and standing without requiring him to have to sit, which is also painful, should be approved in my opinion. Maybe that's not technically a "mobility issue" and that's where I messed up in expressing what I meant.

Disability is a tricky monster. I'm aware there's no system that will work for everyone. I've heard of people getting turned down for the DAS pass for pain reasons because they're told to use a wheelchair or ECV, and I think that's too bad.
But where does he go/what does he do while waiting for the DAS return time? It doesn't cut down walking or standing or sitting - it just has to be done in another location other than the queue.
A personal example: I have multiple autoimmune diseases. Due to those, my knees are now bone on bone & my spine is deteriorating. I can walk, but can't use steps without paying for it severely. Standing still for very long causes major pain that ends my day. A DAS would allow me to enjoy the parks with a cane, which I use at home on bad days (which are frequent), without needing a wheelchair. I don't currently own a wheelchair, because I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to stay at home on days that I can't walk with a cane. On those days, I'm in too much pain to do anything anyway. I'm one of those people who has to pay extra to have equal access at the parks. I also wouldn't have a problem showing proof of my disability in order to not have to use a wheelchair. Since my health will only get worse, I can't imagine why I'd need to go to the doctor for a new note each time I needed to get a DAS. FWIW, I'm not saying others shouldn't have a problem with providing a note. I'm just saying I wouldn't have a problem with it.
How do you manage the 8-10 miles of walking with a cane at the parks?

How do you manage the 8-10 miles of walking with a cane at the parks?
I simply don't walk 8 - 10 miles. I accept my limitations. That means spending very limited hours in the parks at one time, not waiting in long lines for QS (we stick with TS only in the parks & DS), no longer browsing stores as long as I want, stopping to rest very often, etc. Mostly, we've started spending the vast majority of our vacation funds in places that work better for my health situation.

To be clear, im not defensive about possible changes to the program. If we ever have to prove it with a letter or what have you, we will do so. 🤷‍♀️ the magic for our daughter is worth it.

I am disturbed and offended by the idea that it’s my child’s responsibility to bear the consequences of the abuses of others adults. This discussion could entirely be framed as how to provide better training to Disney CMs who assign DAS and how to better hold the abusers accountable, but that’s not what’s happening. it’s easier to tell disabled people to prove their disability than either of those two things. And that’s rather problematic, imo.
I guess the thing that is most disturbing to me is that so many cling to the idea that there are so many cheaters, but they don't actually have anything to base that on other than what they think they have observed.

Many folks here have tried to explain that there could be a lot of different reasons for what they think was abuse is in fact, not. But that doesn't matter, it keeps coming back to how many are cheating.

So some feel the whole system should be replaced by something that they would deem worthy.

Wash rinse repeat.... repeat... Repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter