Status
Not open for further replies.
but Genie+ has a cost, which is the problem
The cost of Genie+ is not a problem in any way, shape or form. It is perfectly legal to charge a disabled person for the same service that a non-disabled person has to pay for. If Genie+ was the only way to wait elsewhere, then it would be a problem. But DAS is not Genie+ and not intended to be a "disability" replacement for Genie+. The 2 are separate programs which do not need to offer exactly the same benefits.

but Genie+ has a cost, which is the problem
Not a problem that the ADA cares about. At all. The cost of Genie+ is as much a problem for those without a disability as it is for those with one. I mean, a lawsuit can claim anything that someone wants it to claim, but the ADA has no rule that says that WDW has to provide the equivilant of Genie+ for free to those with a disability.

The cost of Genie+ is not a problem in any way, shape or form. It is perfectly legal to charge a disabled person for the same service that a non-disabled person has to pay for. If Genie+ was the only way to wait elsewhere, then it would be a problem. But DAS is not Genie+ and not intended to be a "disability" replacement for Genie+. The 2 are separate programs which do not need to offer exactly the same benefits.

I think the point PP was trying to make is that they are similar enough that unscrupulous people are taking advantage of DAS instead of paying for G+. As a parent of two children who both qualify for DAS under Disney's guidelines, I can anecdotally tell you I have definitely felt an increase in abuse sine G+ replaced FP+.

Even if people are "lying," it doesn't mean the system is failing. Actually, I'm not sure what the actual article is arguing in the word salad.

The system is designed around US law, and that is what it requires. Sure, argue for dismantling privacy laws, but that isn't Disney's decision. Our current system prioritizes privacy, and that's in general, not just at Disney. That's US law, which this author clearly has no knowledge about.
What US law are you talking about?

I think the point PP was trying to make is that they are similar enough that unscrupulous people are taking advantage of DAS instead of paying for G+.
The OP - yes, that's part of her point. However my post you quote is responding DisSurfer878 who is trying to rebut a different post suggesting WDW "track users and not allow waiting in any lines while a DAS line wait pass is active." DisSurfer878's position is that would be a violation of ADA because Genie+ allows people to be in another queue. While I don't see WDW instituting any such restriction, there is no violation of ADA to charge a disabled person to use Genie+ and DAS is not considered a "disabled version" of Genie+.

What we witnessed at WDW BEFORE G+ was a problem, not with the people that need DAS, but their entourage. For example, we'd see Grandma in a wheelchair who needed DAS, make her way up to the entrance of SDD, then see the half-dozen or more of her "family members" enter the DAS queue while Grandma waited at the exit. I really don't see why you can't limit the DAS party to the person needing it plus 2, MAYBE 3 other people. If you did that alone I would think it would fix a lot of what is wrong with DAS.

One other thing; DAS used to be a HUGE problem at DL/DCA. There would be a long line of people rope-dropping guest services and parading around the park with their ill-gotten DAS cards all day, every day. You don't see that anymore. How did DL fix it? No idea but I'm glad they did.

Most likely the poster is referring to the ADA and not asking for proof of disability.
Correct that HIPAA doesn't pertain at all to theme parks and what the individual discloses about themselves.
I’ve read the text of the ADA and the only section that I see that pertains to “proof” is the employment section. I’m not a lawyer so I will admit I might not be interpreting it correctly. Specifically, SubchapterIII - Public Accommodations and Services operated by Private entities doesn’t seem to have a section that specifically covers proof or disclosure of medical information. Anyway, the pp talked about US privacy laws and that sounded more broad, like some special law that I’ll admit I’ve never heard of. I really am genuinely curious, because I’ve heard this argument before but have never seen the actual text that describes it.

As a disabled person, I would rather abled people abuse the system than the system become unavailable to disabled people. It seems the people who are most up in arms about it aren't those that really need the system themselves. Those of us who are disabled are used to folks taking advantage of our accommodations, such as parking spaces, bathroom stalls, etc. It sucks, but it happens. What's the alternative -- take away all accommodations? There will always be people abusing the system, but we need these systems in order to exist in public spaces.

Living my life as a disabled person has enough challenges. I'm not accepting any fault for those who are dishonest and taking advantage of something I need. Don't put that on me. I carry enough.

What we witnessed at WDW BEFORE G+ was a problem, not with the people that need DAS, but their entourage. For example, we'd see Grandma in a wheelchair who needed DAS, make her way up to the entrance of SDD, then see the half-dozen or more of her "family members" enter the DAS queue while Grandma waited at the exit. I really don't see why you can't limit the DAS party to the person needing it plus 2, MAYBE 3 other people. If you did that alone I would think it would fix a lot of what is wrong with DAS.

One other thing; DAS used to be a HUGE problem at DL/DCA. There would be a long line of people rope-dropping guest services and parading around the park with their ill-gotten DAS cards all day, every day. You don't see that anymore. How did DL fix it? No idea but I'm glad they did.
”Grandma” wouldn’t have been issued a DAS based on her wheelchair usage. If she did have it, she would’ve had to go through the line and ride with them, not just wait outside at the exit. Any one of those other family members could’ve been a DAS holder. There’s no such thing as a DAS-specific queue. Pre-G+ it was simply designated the FP line, so there’s no knowing whether someone was using FP or DAS.

This grandma got her FP along with the rest of my crew, went through the SDD line in my wheelchair, then waited at the disembarking platform while they rode. It was way more fun than just sitting outside the ride, waiting on them. No doubt there were those in standby judging us as abusing DAS.

Living my life as a disabled person has enough challenges. I'm not accepting any fault for those who are dishonest and taking advantage of something I need. Don't put that on me. I carry enough.

Very well said. Thank you.

As a parent of 2 disabled sons, we don't ask for much. We don't expect the world to cater to us. I rarely ask for help. This is literally the ONE thing we take advantage of, and trust me, I put it off longer than I probably should have. We tried so many other strategies, for so long, and our park days frequently ended after a couple hours and with me crying silently behind my sunglasses as I drove my screaming kid home after another meltdown. I finally decided to try it and see if it would help, as a last ditch attempt, and it changed our entire experience. I am very grateful that it exists and it's wonderful that Disney has something that levels the playing field of life, at least for a day. We can relax and enjoy our time rather than being on edge, waiting for the next meltdown. They still happen, but these days it's usually due to ride after ride breaking down, which is a whole other can of worms.

How big is your "crew"? We saw plenty of people who were just small groups (2-4 people NBD) - it was the large groups where it was very clear that not everyone was a family member that caught our attention. And, sorry to say, we also saw plenty of groups where the person who the DAS was for, never entered the queue. I mean, why would they if they don't want to ride? Their group doesn't have to wait in line - they're going to be right back. Oh, but wait a minute...the DAS isn't for them...is it?

There seems to be a common sentiment that this is all-or-nothing; that couldn't be further from the truth. The people who are cheating the system aren't as invisible as they seem to think they are. You may not be able to stop all the cheating, but you can make some big improvements, and the only people who would lose out would be the cheaters.

it was the large groups where it was very clear that not everyone was a family member that caught our attention. And, sorry to say, we also saw plenty of groups where the person who the DAS was for, never entered the queue.
I'm really curious about this part of your post. The person with the DAS has to scan in first. If you don't, the others in your party won't be able to get in. When I scan as the DAS person, it turns blue and the attendant has to approve me (making sure I'm the same person as the photo that pops up) in order for the other passes are activated. Unless the DAS person is scanning and then turning around and leaving, their party wouldn't be able to enter the queue without them. In other words, it would have to be really obvious to the attendant for it to happen. If the attendants aren't questioning it, then who are you to do so?

Also, there is a limit of five other people that can accompany the das pass holder. Perhaps it was not a das situation at all. Maybe as a previous poster has mentioned, it was a large family group using other types of ride passes, maybe an anytime pass? And there just happened to be someone that was in a wheelchair?

Also, there is a limit of five other people that can accompany the das pass holder. Perhaps it was not a das situation at all. Maybe as a previous poster has mentioned, it was a large family group using other types of ride passes, maybe an anytime pass? And there just happened to be someone that was in a wheelchair?
yes been there and done that. large family group 14 and I was in a wheelchair precovid. had anytime passes for 11 with 3 under 3's. only difference I rode.

This is ridiculous, saying people should not be alloaed to wait in other lines. THAT would be "unequal access", because currently you can technically have a free virtual queue for Gaurdians AND be standing in another line. But even without the "free" aspext, people with Genie+ can be "in" two lines. And the point of ADA is to offer the same experience without having to charge people for it.

So, no, removing the ability to be in other lines would solce NOTHING expect for landing Disney in court for violating ADA.
That's not what the ADA is about at all - it's not free services for the disabled that the nondisabled have to pay for.

Right you can use it (a DAS pass) on FOP and ROTR.

So you can use DAS pass to prebook two rides, and you can use the DAS pass on FOP and ROTR. This is all basic info.
You corrected your dangling modifier.

So if you are a family of 5, how does that work? 2 adults, 3 kids, one with DAS, oops, sorry family, you'll never get to ride anything together. And wow, you spent a lot of time watching people in lines at guest services - how did you know they were all in the queue for DAS?
How big is your "crew"? We saw plenty of people who were just small groups (2-4 people NBD) - it was the large groups where it was very clear that not everyone was a family member that caught our attention. And, sorry to say, we also saw plenty of groups where the person who the DAS was for, never entered the queue. I mean, why would they if they don't want to ride? Their group doesn't have to wait in line - they're going to be right back. Oh, but wait a minute...the DAS isn't for them...is it?

There seems to be a common sentiment that this is all-or-nothing; that couldn't be further from the truth. The people who are cheating the system aren't as invisible as they seem to think they are. You may not be able to stop all the cheating, but you can make some big improvements, and the only people who would lose out would be the cheaters.
How would you know all of that, seriously? And you can't get past the CM with DAS access unless the DAS user checks in first and gets the OK. Then the others tap in. Sometimes there's a second tap in. And maybe they all had some other type of pass, like a Make a Wish, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter