Has Disney’s Strategies To It’s Loyal Customers Finally Caught Up With It?

I wasn't a typo, TPA is the Tampa Airport. From the sounds of it people are still going to Florida just not DISNEY parks.
At first reading, TPA was Theme Park Association. But Tampa works better, thanks for clarifying. Fixed that for you.

I wasn't a typo, TPA is the Tampa Airport. From the sounds of it people are still going to Florida just not the parks.
Ah, you're right. There was a paragraph about the TSA, then a link to another article, then a standalone sentence (above a graphic) that I didn't notice because I thought it was another link. I see now that it was a reference to Tampa International Airport.

We were there last week. Crowds got significantly more crowded the closer we got to July 4. But the weird thing was at the beginning of the week there weren’t many people in the park but the wait times were still high. I couldn’t figure that out. Then I noticed almost every single ride in every park was breaking down over and over. I had to request my money back for ILL purchase’s several times.

Wirh their new stadium, They sacrificed their less affluent fans including some lonnggggg time season ticket holders in order to build a field level vip section at $2500 a seat. Attendance was down but revenue was way up. Basically the model Disney hopes to copy.
Thanks for the explanation 👍

I think it is a combination of all of that plus it is supposed to be over 100 degrees today.
The weather and Independence Day being mid-week are the culprits -- AK was only barely tolerable today in the morning even with all the great shade trees. We left after we'd cooled down inside Tiffins for lunch and decided the parks would be here again for us on cooler days.

Sorry, we’re here now. We were here Easter weekend but have never been for 4th of July before. Don’t know what wait times you’re seeing, but the parks are pretty crowded. We think it’s busier than Easter. Maybe people are paying for genie +? Or they aren’t, so stand by is moving quicker?

Edit to add: I have seen more characters out & about lining up for pictures, so maybe that’s helping a bit.
Lot's and lots of characters of late it seems, nice touch!

The weather and Independence Day being mid-week are the culprits -- AK was only barely tolerable today in the morning even with all the great shade trees. We left after we'd cooled down inside Tiffins for lunch and decided the parks would be here again for us on cooler days.
Trees are a mixed blessing in a climate like Florida's, right? Yes, the provide shade, but they also hold moisture and block breezes. I think carefully designed man-made structures provide cooler shade--but wouldn't fit well in the overall look of AK.

I'm a bit shocked that anyone shows up in Orlando in May through September. Today in Orlando it was 96 degrees with a 76 degree dewpoint. Not sure anyone could put up with that for more than 15 minutes. As opposed to Disneyland where the temperature was in the mid 70s and with low humidity. Not too difficult to figure out which park people are going to visit in July.
I have to agree with that. We show up but that is to get on and off a cruise ship:D. The heat/humidity
at the parks is unbearable to me. Even being that my kids like go to Uni or the Parks until our night flight
home.

The parks may be slowing ppl but not Disney cruise. It has been uncomfortably crowded onboard.
Lines/PPL everywhere.

We are planning on going to WDW holiday time. If I see slow crowds there then they will have a real
problem. Even now pondering is it worth it with the over complicated planning. Sucks the excitement
out.....along with your money.

Last edited:
Remains to be seen how the remainder of the year pans out, but from the business side Disney may currently be of the mindset that their parks strategies have so far been effective.

The Parks business (Domestic Parks, International Parks, Disney Cruise Line, Consumer Products) is on pace to have its most profitable fiscal year ever in both total Operating Income and its ratio vs its total revenue.

Current pace is $33B in revenue and over $10B in operating income. Over 31% OI vs revenues. Last fiscal year was at about 28% and nearly $8B in operating income.

Pre-Pandemic hardly ever exceeded 26% and maxed out just under $7B in operating income.

They still should come out with more expansion plans for the domestic parks to go along with their international expansions.

Also remains to be seen the reactions to any additional changes that will be implemented in 2024.
Thanks for posting the financials. Very very interesting to see real data in light of the comments predicting a dearth of paying WDW customers.

It's always amusing to me to read comments from folks whose mission in life is jonesing for Disney to get its comeuppance.

Edit to add: I have seen more characters out & about lining up for pictures, so maybe that’s helping a bit.
We noticed that in early June too but as DS said to me, it is the time of year they begin training lots more characters to prepare for the party season where they need more, and more shifts.

Also CMs have to train in several different characters so the increased training is a plus for guests during the training season.

Thanks for posting the financials. Very very interesting to see real data in light of the comments predicting a dearth of paying WDW customers.

It's always amusing to me to read comments from folks whose mission in life is jonesing for Disney to get its comeuppance.
Yeah odds are this summer is light but we won’t know any actual data on July through September beyond wait times and estimating from blogs until Disney posts Q4 earnings in November of this year. They share attendance changes from the same period of previous year in their quarterly 10-K filings with the SEC and usually compare the past 3-4 years in their annual reporting.

We noticed that in early June too but as DS said to me, it is the time of year they begin training lots more characters to prepare for the party season where they need more, and more shifts.

Also CMs have to train in several different characters so the increased training is a plus for guests during the training season.
I got to see Kevin from Up at AK this morning. Cool!

When it came to family vacations it used to be that Orlando and Walt Disney World were the number one top destinations for family travel and families liked to go to Walt Disney World because it was interesting and to be done as a once-in-a lifetime trip for family memories. But since Orlando Florida has lots of top draws for families since as dinner shows other theme parks and water parks Walt Disney World went from being the top theme park in Florida to the second top theme park for family vacations when Universal Studios Florida opened it's doors Walt Disney World knew they had serious competition. But if you compare a Walt Disney World vacation in 1997 to a vacation today you'll notice that things became different since 1997. What I think has hurt Walt Disney World right now that is keeping people from going is things like Genie+ and Lightning Lane and the park reservation system because before things like the pandemic started happening Walt Disney World was already going downhill and before these changes began they had Fastpasses to get on a ride easily with no problems and it was simply easy to do character meet and greets because the lines were short. But what I find shocking is if you watch TV you'll see Disneyland commercials a lot more than Walt Disney World commercials which tells the answer to the question title in this thread and since the announcement of the closure of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser this has hurt Walt Disney World a lot and they are desperate for visitors. And the same thing happened to the resorts as well because if you look at the prices of hotel rooms they have gone up in price and even with special deals and discounts you still pay big bucks for a good room at a Disney Resort. But what I think could save Walt Disney World is to offer a special package and in it guests can get a room at Disney Resort for a special price and a special deal to enter the parks early and be given special coupons for character breakfasts other foods and Disney merchandise and a special photo with the character of their choice and a special pin at the end of their park day. And this deal could work miracles for Walt Disney World. Why I think Disney Parks are desperate for money is they want to regain the old family image that they used to have before the pandemic happened and "to use a phrase from Jeremy Renner" "A little Rennervation is all they need"

When it came to family vacations it used to be that Orlando and Walt Disney World were the number one top destinations for family travel and families liked to go to Walt Disney World because it was interesting and to be done as a once-in-a lifetime trip for family memories. But since Orlando Florida has lots of top draws for families since as dinner shows other theme parks and water parks Walt Disney World went from being the top theme park in Florida to the second top theme park for family vacations when Universal Studios Florida opened it's doors Walt Disney World knew they had serious competition. But if you compare a Walt Disney World vacation in 1997 to a vacation today you'll notice that things became different since 1997. What I think has hurt Walt Disney World right now that is keeping people from going is things like Genie+ and Lightning Lane and the park reservation system because before things like the pandemic started happening Walt Disney World was already going downhill and before these changes began they had Fastpasses to get on a ride easily with no problems and it was simply easy to do character meet and greets because the lines were short. But what I find shocking is if you watch TV you'll see Disneyland commercials a lot more than Walt Disney World commercials which tells the answer to the question title in this thread and since the announcement of the closure of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser this has hurt Walt Disney World a lot and they are desperate for visitors. And the same thing happened to the resorts as well because if you look at the prices of hotel rooms they have gone up in price and even with special deals and discounts you still pay big bucks for a good room at a Disney Resort. But what I think could save Walt Disney World is to offer a special package and in it guests can get a room at Disney Resort for a special price and a special deal to enter the parks early and be given special coupons for character breakfasts other foods and Disney merchandise and a special photo with the character of their choice and a special pin at the end of their park day. And this deal could work miracles for Walt Disney World. Why I think Disney Parks are desperate for money is they want to regain the old family image that they used to have before the pandemic happened and "to use a phrase from Jeremy Renner" "A little Rennervation is all they need"
I think the commercials must be regional, as I have only seen commercials for WDW. I’ve never seen one specifically for DL, which I never realized until you mentioned it.

I think the commercials must be regional, as I have only seen commercials for WDW. I’ve never seen one specifically for DL, which I never realized until you mentioned it.
It's tangental but with so many cable cutters I wonder what WDW or Comcast, with each owning a network and a stable of O&Os, is doing to reach the people that used to see their ads on a network affiliate or cable channel.

Sooo many people have gone to streaming and almost every vendor including YouTube (even though that may not technically be TV to some) offer an option to pay more and avoid ads altogether.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter