Has Disney done anything to recognize Robin Williams' death?

The state of mind that he was in is something that most of us can not even begin to relate to. If we are fortunate enough to have never dealt with depression or mental illness--we have no idea what he was going through. His mental illness and depression are what killed him.

It really makes me sad when people feel like someone is less of a person because they took their life. It's so much more complicated than that. :-(

The state of mind that he was in is something that most of us can not even begin to relate to. If we are fortunate enough to have never dealt with depression or mental illness--we have no idea what he was going through. His mental illness and depression are what killed him.

It really makes me sad when people feel like someone is less of a person because they took their life. It's so much more complicated than that. :-(
And for those of us who DO know what it's like to live with Depression or other mental illness, we who have seen that dark place, who have or are currently struggling... We wish there was more education, understanding, and compassion out there in there world. Clinical Depression a viscous, manipulative, horrifying disease that claims lives every single day. When a it takes a celebrity of such magnitude, as tragic as it is, that is when opportunities for learning and growth and open conversation arise. :hug:

He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.

Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.

Thank you Kollegekreed. Someone had to say it.

Do they honor people who died from the injurys sustained from being hit by a car?
Or people who die from symptoms of cancer?
Need I go on.

Depression killed Robin Williams.

Wake up to yourself and watch your words. Didnt you get taught that words can hurt.

He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.

First of all, it's martyr. And a martyr is someone who is killed or dies for their beliefs. So your word is used wrong and misspelled.

I believe that Robin Williams was a gifted and talented man who gave generously and selflessly to others. I am pleased to see all the loving tributes. He made Disney quite a lot of money so it's good to see the recognition from Isner, regardless of how he died. The Genie was and always will be a true classic character.

It reminds me of the day that I walked in to "find" my fiancée and father of my daughter in our home 14 years ago when I was 5 months pregnant with her. Suicide leaves behind nasty lifelong scars for those who loved and cherished the deceased but in no way should it diminish his accomplishments and contributions. I can only assume that when a person makes insensitive comments that he or she hasn't felt the repercussions of suicide first hand.

What comes after a suicide, or any death for that matter, is completely based on faith. Some believe Heaven or the other direction, some believe total blackness, others believe reincarnation. Who's right? I can't even say for sure if what I believe is the one and only answer. (Not written to start a debate, but simply to consider that there are multiple faiths represented here in the Dis). What despair, sadness, and hopelessness a person must feel to take that irreversible leap of faith. You don't know until you go. Suicide victims are brave in my eyes. Nothing on earth would make me choose that.

I just hope that by his very public death, some people can begin see suicide in a different light. May you never be cursed to live with the loss of a loved one by suicide. Hopefully the folks who make insensitive comments can educate themselves a little about the intensity of depression. It's a real darkness, unlike anything a healthy-brained individual has ever experienced. My fiancé would talk (and cry) to me all the time about what it's like. It's was scary for him that he couldn't shake it off, or "get over it". Believe me, the guy tried it all. I tried everything I could to help him too. He was never alone but he sure felt like it. He fought like a warrior every single second for most of his life to beat this. He lasted 30 years. He fought a good fight but sadly he just couldn't hang on any longer.

Tolerance, understanding, education, compassion...

This is a very cruel comment. Clearly you have been lucky enough to never have been devestated by a loved ones suicide. Consider yourself very lucky. I hope you never know how that loss feels. I unfortunatly have been devestated by suicide. It's something that you never really get over. How can you not have any sympathy for a person who was so distraught that he felt the only way to escape it was to end his life? Can you imagine being trapped in your own eternal suffering and misery? How can you be so full of yourself to look down on someone who was in this much pain?

Robin Williams was an icon that brought laughter to so many even through his own personal suffering. I think it's sad that so many people have hid behind thier computer screens and said so many awful things about this man! Shame on them and shame on you! No matter what he will forever be remembered as one of the greats!
I just hope he found his inner peace finally!

"Genie you're free"

Seems some just want to find fault with Disney no matter what they do.

Trust me, I'm not one of those people if you've read some of my previous posts, you would know that.

When I read it just seemed really odd to specify that the show was on ABC. It sounded like he WAS recognizing his death but also wanted to get in some corporate branding. Especially since Disney was not responsible for that show.

But as someone else pointed out, he was merely pointing out the work he had done for Disney. And even though they weren't responsible for Mork and Mindy, I assume they DO own the library at this point.

Trust me, I'm not one of those people if you've read some of my previous posts, you would know that.

When I read it just seemed really odd to specify that the show was on ABC. It sounded like he WAS recognizing his death but also wanted to get in some corporate branding. Especially since Disney was not responsible for that show.

But as someone else pointed out, he was merely pointing out the work he had done for Disney. And even though they weren't responsible for Mork and Mindy, I assume they DO own the library at this point.

When Disney purchased ABC, it inherited an entire corporate family, culture and history. Isner's mention of ABC as the source of Mork & Mindy is merely acknowledging that part of its corporate constituency who may have worked with Robin at that time. Now, if he said "then ABC's (and now Disney's) Mork & Mindy", you'd have a valid complaint. But as is, this is one of Isner's better public quotes.

The flag at DHS was flown at half mast not sure for how long. There was a thread somewhere. I thought it was a nice thing to do.

Technically, a flag flown at half mast is ONLY to be flown for military when they are KIA - it has been turned into something that isn't done out of honor anymore, just for any old person for any old reason

On the Disney Company Web Portal for employees they posted Bob Iger's statement and a very touching picture of the sky with stars that formed Robin's face as the genie. It was very touching and brought a tear to my eye.

JoAnna525 said:
When Disney purchased ABC, it inherited an entire corporate family, culture and history. Isner's mention of ABC as the source of Mork & Mindy is merely acknowledging that part of its corporate constituency who may have worked with Robin at that time. Now, if he said "then ABC's (and now Disney's) Mork & Mindy", you'd have a valid complaint. But as is, this is one of Isner's better public quotes.

It is Iger...Eisner had been gone a while :)

verleniahall said:
Technically, a flag flown at half mast is ONLY to be flown for military when they are KIA - it has been turned into something that isn't done out of honor anymore, just for any old person for any old reason

That is the case for federal buildings, and that is not the only reason...that is actually a more recent rule I believe too.

Private displays may do so on their own decision, so long as they follow all other rules on the display if the flash. My father was honored in this way by the hospital he worked at for many years.

They ran Aladdin commercial free over the weekend.

For Aladdin this weekend, right after "The End" and before the closing credits, they added a 5 sec message,

"In memory of Robin Williams, who made us laugh." The picture was of the star field made to look like Genie that someone mentioned here was displayed elsewhere.

Ok. I'll give Disney credit for recognizing Robin on their corporate site and with the showing of Aladdin over the weekend, but something still just feels off about it. Maybe it's because I frequent the Disney Parks Blog that I want to see something there.

Lauren Bacall died the day after Robin, and no offence to her (may she rest in peace), but on that site they put up a tribute to her but did not do one for Robin. They noted that she was part of the inspiration behind Jessica Rabbit. It just feels strange to me that they have been posting on that site tributes to anyone who has even peripheral involvement with Disney, but not to someone who worked there several times in some major ways. It just feels odd to me.

I'm not debating the merits of recognizing someone who committed suicide, but it just feels to me like they intentionally avoided it on that site. And the one obvious reason I can think of is how he died. Now if someone wants to argue that that site is meant to be a park planning site, I can live with that, but then why ever post articles remembering any Disney legends there.

I'm not claiming there is a major Disney conspiracy here. It's just something scratching the back of my head that bothers me.

Having lost a sibling to suicide, I understand that it is a socially awkward thing to talk about. Maybe that is why Disney did not "trumpet" any memorials to Robin, although it is apparent they did recognize his passing in some ways. Many of my friends and even family still have a difficult time discussing my brother's death, not because of who he was, but just because they feel uncomfortable talking about how he died. I understand that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter