• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has Disney gone too far to make a buck?

I don't like when prices rise for ANYTHING. From fuel to park tickets to food to my cable bill.

But price increases happen. So I either pay them and enjoy what I knew I was paying for, or I don't pay and find something else.
And that's why I choose to find something else. Disney fell far behind the curve by neglecting to develop new attractions in favor of MDE while their competitor ran full steam ahead with WoHP. Now, they're trying to play catch up with promises of things to come but failing right now to deliver the quality product that they were once known to have. Reports of filthy (not just untidy) theme park bathrooms, lack of maintenance in the resort rooms, and disgruntled CMs all contribute to the feeling that the sparkle has gone from what made Disney different from other amusement parks. So, while you choose to spend more knowing that you are getting less and are willing to settle for it, I refuse to pay for it.

And that would be the same if I were talking about my cable operator, a restaurant, a Honda or any other product. I'm not against paying more for the same product because I know that everyone's overhead rises. However, I won't pay more, get less and fork over my money happily in the process.

We hit our tipping point back in 2013. Haven't been back since. We've discovered lots of other great places and have been having lots of fun checking them out. Not saying we'll never go back to WDW, but its no longer a yearly (or 2-3x a year) vacation destination for us. I might feel differently if I still had young children, but my "baby" is 23. While our 2013 trip wasn't horrible, I did feel that the value just wasn't there for us anymore. DH would like to go back and check out both Star Wars and Avatar once they're completed, but I doubt if we'll ever stay on-site again and/or spend more than a few days.

Last summer we were in Orlando for 10 days and I really thought I'd miss WDW. I had planned to go to DTD (or Disney Springs) one day, but we were just having too much fun doing other things and never got there. Once we got home I realized I didn't miss it at all. It seems that once the Disney bubble burst, I didn't mind not looking through rose colored glasses.

nothing is affordable for all people all the time, but it was more affordable for more people just a few years ago.
And a lot of families...

I think it's more like this- people get annoyed over statements that Disney has always been "affordable to all". That simply is not the case. And it never has been. They offer all different types of options, and still there has always been people who can or can not afford to partake in one or all of them or even any of them.

And price increases?

Look at cars for example-
Let's use a Honda Accord - "reasonably priced middle class car".
Now, go back and look at what a new Accord cost in 1991, @ $15k. Do you know what a new Accord costs now? Almost $10k more than that.

Is Honda a money grabbing devil? Nope. What they have done is add a ton of technology and safety features which is one example of why car prices are so much higher now.

Disney has essentially done the same.

I don't think people get "twisted when someone is insulting the mouse" But rather because it's just rather dramatic and unreasonable to not understand why things cost more today than they did several years ago.
It's not dramatic or unreasonable. Prices go up, salaries generally go up (slower), everyone knows that. I think others have addressed much of that difference already. To draw a closer and more reasonable comparison, you have to look at the cost of a Honda 5 years ago and compare it to today. Not a Honda 25 years ago! When my husband started going to WDW in 2010, a ticket to magic kingdom was probably half what it costs today. Did Accords cost $12,500 in 2010? Look at all the improvements additions that have occurred in basic vehicle models since 2010. If Honda was selling cars with engines as an "option", or 2 wheels included and and you have to buy 2 more to get normal functionality, that would be a bit more in line with what is happening with Disney. Everyone knows prices increase, but nothing increases as fast as Disney. Except maybe oil. But even then, oil will get cheaper as we've all seen lately.

Last edited:
nothing is affordable for all people all the time, but it was more affordable for more people just a few years ago.

It's not dramatic or unreasonable. Prices go up, salaries generally go up (slower), everyone knows that. I think others have addressed much of that difference already. To draw a closer and more reasonable comparison, you have to look at the cost of a Honda 5 years ago and compare it to today. Not a Honda 25 years ago! When my husband started going to WDW in 2010, a ticket to magic kingdom was probably half what it costs today. Did Accords cost $12,500 in 2010? Look at all the improvements additions that have occurred in basic vehicle models since 2010. If Honda was selling cars with engines as an "option", or 2 wheels included and and you have to buy 2 more to get normal functionality, that would be a bit more in line with what is happening with Disney. Everyone knows prices increase, but nothing increases as fast as Disney. Except maybe oil. But even then, oil will get cheaper as we've all seen lately.

Honest question- do you think that price increase has more to do with an improving economy..and a failing economy that left prices stagnant for a few years? Meaning- people are spending more money now than in 2010. Disney is seeing record attendance. So in their eyes, it's finally time to increase prices, because data shows that the market is now in a better position to pay?

Honest question- do you think that price increase has more to do with an improving economy..and a failing economy that left prices stagnant for a few years? Meaning- people are spending more money now than in 2010. Disney is seeing record attendance. So in their eyes, it's finally time to increase prices, because data shows that the market is now in a better position to pay?
It's not like Disney prices were truly stagnant before the recession, there has always been some increase. I recall news reports of studies identifying people being tired of "tightening the belt" around maybe 2012 or 2013? People are spending a bit more, but they are back to building debt. And interest rates are crazy low right now. When these factors change, many people will be in a different situation, at least stateside. And attendance will decline again. Not to mention that some countries' economies are already starting another decline...

It's not like Disney prices were truly stagnant before the recession, there has always been some increase. I recall news reports of studies identifying people being tired of "tightening the belt" around maybe 2012 or 2013? People are spending a bit more, but they are back to building debt. And interest rates are crazy low right now. When these factors change, many people will be in a different situation, at least stateside. And attendance will decline again. Not to mention that some countries' economies are already starting another decline...
They are low, but interest rates are rising, most recently last year. I think a lot of consumer confidence is back, which is why companies are reporting such high profits and percentage increases over the past year or 2.

They are low, but interest rates are rising, most recently last year. I think a lot of consumer confidence is back, which is why companies are reporting such high profits and percentage increases over the past year or 2.
Then the question becomes, "do people actually have more money to spend?" To that I would say for people I know, no. But maybe for some people they actually do have more money. People aren't as scared of losing their jobs, but that doesn't mean they can sustain their current spending.

I personally look at the rising costs of our Disney vacations in relation to the rising costs of travel, entertainment, and eating out as opposed to comparing it to other industries. We are frequent travelers and I feel like the cost of travel and entertainment has risen across the board.

We used to regularly find roundtrip flights for $99/person to Orlando, and now I have to be willing to cram all my belongings into a backpack and fly Spirit to even come in under $200/person.

And entertainment seems to be getting really expensive, no matter what we choose to do. Concerts, movies, sporting events, local theme parks or water parks...seems like everything is so much more expensive these days. I'm sure Disney has outpaced a lot of these other venues, but I guess I'm still in the category of visitors who sees the value in an occasional Disney trip.

But as my kids get older I see the value diminishing and we are hooked on cruising as the entertainment, food and independence really appeal to them more.

That's why I actually like the "a la carte" aspect of the Disney After Hours event and other tickets that don't require a regular park ticket. I don't see any value in buying park tickets unless it's for more than 7 days and you get the benefit of the diminishing cost per day. But park access for most of the day with little to no waits promised for 3 hours is worth it to me.

We attended the After Hours Party on 4/28. It was fantastic and worth every penny. Didn't wait for a single ride. And I spoke to a CM/management who told me these events (Early Morning Magic as well) are here to stay.

OP wanted to know where the breaking point was. For us, many years ago we were able to stay at the Poly with PH and WP, and dining plan for what it now costs us to stay at CSR. We found that we are just as comfortable at CSR as we were at Poly, we get what we feel is better bus service, and we feel less crowded. We get our queen sized beds and what we feel is a deluxe feel at the moderate price. If/when we can't stay at CSR because we feel we've been priced out, we will no longer go or look to stay offsite.

I completely get that Disney is a profit seeking business and of course they can't give away the store. Fine if they want to charge more, but I take issue with them decreasing the value. Cutting staff is directly impacting guests experience. Rides operating at half capacity due to budget cuts, longer lines for everything, and things not being kept up as they should be. So it's not just about it being "magical", at some point you have to ask yourself if you still feel you are getting what you paid for.

Then the question becomes, "do people actually have more money to spend?" To that I would say for people I know, no. But maybe for some people they actually do have more money. People aren't as scared of losing their jobs, but that doesn't mean they can sustain their current spending.
I think the answer is- Yes. And- No.
Some have bounced back from the recession, maybe had a period of unemployment, and have more money in their pocket again.
Some had the money all along but were too scared to spend it.

After returning from my son's first trip, this is the first comment I had-

"Disney can make you empty your pockets with a smile on your face."

The point is- you aren't just spending money, they somehow make you feel that it is all worth it.lol.. Which is more than "just"

I have made this same exact comment numerous times! So I totally get what you're saying.

But I've noticed that lately - over the past couple of years - I have not felt that same sentiment as often.

We are stock holders, so I'm thrilled that stocks have been at an all-time high. BUT, I am far less happy as a guest at the parks lately. So much so, that I'm feeling we may be seeing the handwriting on the wall (street) - the trend of CEO's and BOD's raping a company for short-term gain and leaving it to die. As such, investors need to be on the lookout for the right time to get out, and I fear we may be soon approaching that time. In looking at trends we're seeing in the parks, I've actually been thinking of selling our stocks and being done with it. We have been seeing filth in the bathrooms everywhere, and lax cleanliness standards in on-site hotel rooms as well - a clear indication of cost-cutting in custodial. Food quality at table service restaurants has gone drastically downhill, while prices have skyrocketed. CM's seem stressed, harried and over-worked - again a clear indication of cost-cutting (trying to do more work with too few employees), which leads to an overall lack of "magic". Attractions are closing, and we are seeing overlays, re-runs, sequels and extensions coming in, rather than any real new innovations - this trend is even evident in the films.

For us as guests, it is not about affordability, but about the feeling of great value for money spent. The idea that, "Yes, Disney is expensive but it's well worth every penny". The trouble is, lately we've come away feeling (and saying) things like, "Hmmm, I don't think that experience was quite worth it". Maybe it was a meal that was so bad or so small or in a restaurant that was so crowded and rushed and dirty, that paying several hundred dollars for it just didn't sit well. Maybe it was the fact that last time we went to Epcot, we wandered around with nothing much to do in Future World because everything was either closed or had 70 minute wait times (caused precisely because of the lack of enough attractions open). And coupled with that was the fact that our annual pass price went up and also included black-out dates, that made us rethink whether it was wise to renew them this year (we decided to get Sea World AP's instead).

Companies are in business to make money, which is something Disney has excelled at, perhaps better than any other company, by causing people to willingly and gleefully hand over large wads of cash. But if people aren't as gleeful about it, they're probably not going to be quite as willing to hand over quite as much of it in the future either.

That's what I see happening right now, anyway.

I think it has far more to do with the financial drain that is Shanghai. Attendance was record last year. This year it is down pretty drastically so far.

economics13.gif
While I am not saying Disney is necessary it seems whenever the price goes up people still go .

I do feel Disney has been making the money grab. I couldn't believe the price of the after hours event. DH & I are both professionals who make decent money. But no way would I pay that price. And we only have a family of 4. We've done extra things before - Wishes dessert party, Christmas Party, etc. But we won't be doing the after hours event at the current price.

Disney has slowly been pricing us out of what we are willing to pay for. We've gone yearly for a long time - and sometimes twice a year. We used to stay on property. But the Disney hotel prices have just gone too high for what they are worth. When the value hotels cost more that the Ritz, there are issues. I'd much rather stay at a nicer, off-property hotel for a similar/cheaper price and collect rewards points. The past couple years we got a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo for much cheaper than even All Stars. We made the leap outside the Disney bubble and don't regret it. Although we did add one day in a Disney hotel on our arrival night to get the Magic Bands and then moved offsite. We are doing the same again the next time.

We are going again in June. We are staying offsite. And I have only made 3 ADRs - House of Blues, Via Napoli, and Morimoto. In the past, even when we were staying offsite, we had 1 and sometimes 2 ADRs for each day. So this trip we are even making the second leap by not exclusively eating at Disney. We are staying at a resort with lots of food options around - so we are going to wing it. We might do offsite locations, we might cook in our resort a little (probably breakfasts), and we might add an ADR or two on the fly if we feel like we are missing out on the "Disney" feel. We also have places we like on property that I think we can get in without ADRs. We like Kimonos, Tokyo Dining, ESPN Zone. I think we will be ok. But I've gotten to the point that I don't think the cost of food at Disney is worth it. We've never done the dining plan because we don't eat like that. We often share one entree and an appetizer between me and my 2 girls (currently 24 and 21). DH gets his own. We might get a snack or ice cream while watching the fireworks. So we stopped doing the all-you-can eat type restaurants and stuck to mainly a la carte menu places. Now those are even more than I am willing to pay. As I said, we are a double income, professional couple who could spend the money, but choose not too.

Last year we did Universal and not Disney parks. We did do a few of our favorite Disney restaurants outside the park - Chef Mickey and Kona Cafe - to get a little Disney feel. This year the kids wanted to go back to Disney. And we are bringing one of the boyfriends. We'll see how it goes.

Maggie

Reactions: HM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter