Has it really gone up that much?

I went through my confirmation emails I have saved for our trip in 2015, 2017 and 2018. In 2015 and 2017, staying at the same hotel and room type cost us $800 more. I'm not going to compare 2018 trip with the earlier ones since we changed room types and one kid became an adult. But for our 2020 trip for the same room type as we had in 2018, same 3 adults and 1 kid, we will pay $300 more and we are staying 1 night less.

We had to switch from Yacht Club to Gran Destino this upcoming trip - the cost of room per night was less than half of Yacht Club!!!

Gran Destino is about as moderate as I will get. ;)
Same here pretty certain we are going moderate next trip as we will be treating someone, nice to have that extra savings.

Same here pretty certain we are going moderate next trip as we will be treating someone, nice to have that extra savings.
Us too. Usually stay Poly but had a bad experience last trip. Decided to save the money & will stay at the Swan & Coronado tower next 2 trips.

Im going next week for 5 days with 3 people and its almost 10k with flight. Disney is not a cheap hobby. (Wish it was... lol)
Can I ask where you are staying and how much the airfare is? If that is too personal, I understand.

Relatively few people spend that kind of money, though.
I agree with you. We just got back from 6 nights and it was only $2,675 not including several hundred dollars in gas, food, and a couple hotel nights down and back. We did have the "free dining" and that saved us a lot.

WOW. I am going for 8 days, just my wife and I and the air fare, hotel, parks w/hopper and food is going to be $2800. How do you spend 10 thousand for only 5 days?

In November 2016, during the free dining promotion, my husband and I and another couple were able to stay at the Boardwalk for five nights with 5-day park hoppers for $3,937.24. We are not planning a trip this year, but just out of curiosity I priced out the same trip under the current free-dining promotion = $4,930.76. Have things really gone up that much in 3 years, or am I doing something wrong? We enjoyed our stay there so much and was very hopeful that we might be able to return someday, but not at these prices. :sad:
......and you need to add about 125 bucks to the 4930 for the mandatory parking fee. That is a 3 percent additional increase over the 3937 from just 3 years ago. Notice how they make it hard to detect that? That cost is in the fine print but you don't have the option of "paying it off", so it is not included in the cart while putting together the details of a stay at WDW.

It's not that hard to spend that much TODAY much less several years from now. Stay at a bungalow at the Poly (rack rate around $3,000 a night) for 7 nights (e.g., Poly b), do a VIP tour one day (minimum of $2,975 at the lowest rate available, not including the required tip), and boom, you're t $24,000 before you even account for tickets and food.

I would consider that actively trying to spend $24k -- picking (one of) the most expensive rooms on property.

Last edited:
Have gone every year since 1973. We are going this year 12/7-12/13 and will be our last. I never, ever thought I would reach a financial threshold for Disney, but they now have broken me. it was a good run and happy that I have been able to rent DVC points for the last few years but Disney has priced us out. High ticket prices, high food costs and severe restrictions on booking FP+ no longer seem worth it, at least to me. I feel Disney did serious harm by opening up the good neighbor hotels to book FP+at 60 days.

Disney will not devalue their products. The rack rates will remain the same or go up even through a recession. What they will do is offer bigger discounts and incentives to put heads in beds.

They'll have to - because I can speak from experience and say that Pop Century is seriously OVERvalued right now. No way is it worth $200+ a night, not even with the Skyliner. It's a concrete box with some funky statuary and Disney artwork on the walls.

They'll have to - because I can speak from experience and say that Pop Century is seriously OVERvalued right now. No way is it worth $200+ a night, not even with the Skyliner. It's a concrete box with some funky statuary and Disney artwork on the walls.
I’m telling you, from experience, Disney has never lowered their rack rates. Even after 9/11, when no one was traveling. Even after the 2008 recession hit, when people were struggling to hold onto their homes and luxury purchases were far from their minds.

If there is a downturn in the economy (more likely when, not if), Disney will adjust by offering steeper discounts and package incentives. They will shorten park hours, lay-off employees, curtail development and close sections of hotels if they aren’t filling. But you’re not going to see rack rates go down - ever.

But people will still pay whatever the price is. If not you or me, then someone else. That's part of why rates are so high; somebody is paying the ridiculous rates because they are still filling rooms and raising prices.

Personally, we stayed in a condo at Windsor Palms last year; 3-bedroom, 2 bath, 1000 sq feet for $950 for 9 nights with everything included. Even adding the fee to park at the parks (we drove our own car, so would have paid parking at the resort had we stayed onsite), it was far cheaper than staying in a value room on property that no longer fits our family. We won't stay onsite again.

It goes up each year - its nothing to get upset about - Our vacation for 2 with airfair is roughly 12k

We are estimating at least double that for 2021 since we KNOW pricing is going to go up for the 50th anniversary - no big deal really to us - its a businses and prices go up
I suspect that most people, even those of us with high incomes, will balk at paying the same for a theme park vacation that it costs to go to Australia or Japan. I have spoken to a lot of Disney die-hards who are finally opting out due to the significant price increases. And it isn't because we can't afford it. It's because the value per dollar has lowered recently, which is upsetting. I expect Disney will eventually course correct (likely with big "discounts"), because most people aren't thinking "Hey 75K for a family vacation is no big deal." We love Disney, but everyone has their limits. For us, it pushed us to other locations for vacation when we were going every other year for 10 days, staying deluxe and eating table service nightly. Heck, the real bungalows at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora will cost about the same!

Prices have gone up a lot. Use to stay at the BC/YC religiously, now not so much. If and when I do go, it will be at the Dolphin/Swan which still has relatively reasonable room prices.

I suspect that most people, even those of us with high incomes, will balk at paying the same for a theme park vacation that it costs to go to Australia or Japan. I have spoken to a lot of Disney die-hards who are finally opting out due to the significant price increases. And it isn't because we can't afford it. It's because the value per dollar has lowered recently, which is upsetting. I expect Disney will eventually course correct (likely with big "discounts"), because most people aren't thinking "Hey 75K for a family vacation is no big deal." We love Disney, but everyone has their limits. For us, it pushed us to other locations for vacation when we were going every other year for 10 days, staying deluxe and eating table service nightly. Heck, the real bungalows at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora will cost about the same!

we font vacation outside of the USA - too many things that go on in other countries - I gladly pay that much for a disney trip

we font vacation outside of the USA - too many things that go on in other countries - I gladly pay that much for a disney trip

I hear people from other countries say that about the US. Not to get political but gun violence and mass murders are disturbingly common in this country. Regardless, I don't think Disney can base their financial projections on civil unrest in other vacation destinations driving people to spend close to 6 figures on Disney. It doesn't take much internet searching to see that Disney is already very close to "private villa with 24 hour personal butler on Caribbean island - all drinks and food included" cost territory. And I get that we are talking about different types of vacations, but I know we are not the first high-income-but-high-work-hours couple to get turned off by Disney's constant cost-cutting measures at the Deluxes (no lotion anymore? really? no comfy plush bedding? No AC at night?) and creepy invasive mandatory room checks that it doesn't feel like a luxe vacation despite demanding luxe dollars. I've been doing to Disney all my life and yeah it was always a theme park but you used to feel pampered and special. Now I feel like they want me to feel grateful they accepted my money instead of the other way around. I truly think this can change with the right leadership. In the meantime, we go to Universal to scratch our theme park itch and have expanded our vacations to other places. All over Dis I see people say "Disney does this because people will still pay for it" but I'm not sure that is true indefinitely. And in the meantime you will have tens of thousands of UMC families already looking outside of Disney instead of seeing that regular trip on the horizon - will Disney be able to lure them back with discounts? Maybe? It's a gamble though.

It's gone up a lot in just the past year. I booked a trip for this December in January. We paid for the rack rate package. They increased prices for everything in February. When all the deals came out a month ogo our savings were... a whopping $14 ! We are staying at All Stars so maybe the discount wasn't big due to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter