Has Marine World Africa USA/Six Flags Discovery Kingdom gone downhill?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I remember when I visited Marine World Africa USA as a little girl with my aunt and cousin only once and I wasn't impressed with it and the only reason my family went was because Dad had gotten us tickets and my cousin wanted to see it. And now ever since Six Flags brought it and renamed it Six Flags Discovery Kingdom I noticed that Marine World Africa USA has gone downhill since then and I can't figure it out? I can't figure out how in the world Marine World Africa USA is still surviving and how Six Flags decided to buy them? Is it because for years Marine World Africa USA wanted to compete with California's Great America as the second most popular theme park in the Bay Area? From what I saw when I first went there it was essentially a zoo with an outdoor aquarium with shows added and the only things I saw that made Marine World Africa USA so great was their shows with dolphins and whales because that's what the commercials would always promote. Second now if you visit Marine World Africa USA as Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today you'll notice that some of the iconic things that made the park famous are things of the past. Take for instance if you want to do meet and greets with Warner Bros and DC characters at Discovery Kingdom they are completely gone and also the famous elephant rides no longer exist and I think when Six Flags brought Marine World Africa USA that's what really caused the park to go downhill. I wouldn't be surprised if Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is the next theme park to close in Vallejo and I think if they updated their image they would gain more visitors and improve themselves again

I had a membership there but I allowed it to lapse and then figured I didn't need to go there any more. But Six Flags has apparently killed their membership model in favor of just annual passes. I heard they were losing a lot of money before - especially with the meal plans where they might be charging about $7 a month and where they would be open every weekend at least and every day during the summer. A few times we were just passing through and stopped for lunch or dinner.

At least when I was there it wasn't Disneyland quality, but it was fine as a regional park with thrill rides. I don't think visitation numbers were ever an issue. I'd been there on prime days where the parking lot was full and they went to overflow parking at the Solano County Fairgrounds across the street.

I'd never seen any meet and greets other than WB cartoon characters. The animal shows weren't really the big thing recently and I doubt that matters. The tiger show was only once a day, although sometimes we'd catch a break and watch and see the lions in the enclosure where we could talk their handlers. And my kid had an opportunity to pet one of the lions when it was still a cub - said the fur was really stiff.

I think Marine World Africa USA started struggling even before Six Flags bought them and became Six Flags Discovery Kingdom because as I mentioned in my opening post when I went there once the only reason my family went was because my cousin wanted to see the marine animals and I myself wished we hadn't gone because I wasn't that impressed with the park. And I didn't see what made Marine World Africa USA so popular with people. But what I think attracted people to Marine World Africa USA was their whale and dolphin shows and I LOVE dolphins because every time I would see a commercial for Marine World Africa USA/Six Flags Discovery Kingdom they would always promote a new whale and dolphin show. But I think the reason it still exists is because Marine World Africa USA/Six Flags Discovery Kingdom wanted to be like the Sea World chain of theme parks and they wanted to be the second popular amusement park next to Great America in the Bay Area

They’re not struggling for business. Frankly the animal shows aren’t really that popular. They also have annual passes that are also good at a local water park.

When you get the general picture when people visit Northern California the popular amusement parks to visit were Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk California's Great America Raging Waters and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. But I have noticed less commercials for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom than I see of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and California's Great America which may be the reason for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's slow downfall. Because I think when Six Flags brought Marine World Africa USA I think Six Flags wanted to create a second Magic Mountain location in the Bay Area but that never happened so they renamed Marine World Africa USA Six Flags Discovery Kingdom instead. But as a little girl I went there once as I mentioned in my opening post and I was not impressed with it and me and my parents and aunt and cousin even had to spend the night so we could go to Marine World Africa USA early in the morning but when we got there I got bored and wished we could've just gone home or shopping at the mall instead but my aunt and cousin got to see the animal shows there. But why Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is still surviving is mainly because they want to attract a new generation of people who love animals and animal shows in general

Considering how long it’s been since you’ve been in Disneyland, how long has it been since you’ve been to Marine World? Was the last time you visited when you were a little girl? We live nearby, they aren’t struggling for business.

the property it's located on was SO beautiful back before they built. lovely little golf course and old established groves of trees. i felt bad for the housing immediatly adjacent to lose that buffer between themselves and the fairgrounds. i was happy the homeowners were successful in their legal efforts to tremendously limit late night park hours and the (then) proposed nightly firework displays (could never figure out why that was even considered with the animals and how they would be impacted).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter