Has the fine art of "resort hopping" returned?

markpenske

Mouseketeer
One of our favorite things to do when we vacation at WDW is to visit other resorts. Just to walk around and see the sights. We had read that you can not vist another resort without having a dining reservation. I recently did an online-chat with a cast-member and asked if visiting other resorts was allowed. They responded "of course". I haven't seen anything online to confirm this.

We did a split stay at GF and then CBR in May. We went back to GF after moving to CBR to do one of their art project activities (which wasn't offered the day we were there). We used Lyft to get there. The guard asked why we were there and we told them, and they let us through. I think it's hit and miss depending on where you're going.

Last I recall with parking at the Contemporary, you had to have a dining reservation. Maybe this has changed?

100% you need to have an ADR (and then it is only 3 hours parking) if you're driving. And from most reports even if you are arriving via rideshare/taxi.

Hassled entering Beach Club last night. Arrived in personal car at 6:45 for our 8:30 Cape May dinner reservation so we could shop and have drinks before dinner. Had to ask for a manager at the gate, the lady on duty tried to tell me 30 minutes prior only and we couldn’t enter. Outrageous treatment of paying customers, Disney has lost their minds. (The lot was nowhere near full btw)

Hassled entering Beach Club last night. Arrived in personal car at 6:45 for our 8:30 Cape May dinner reservation so we could shop and have drinks before dinner. Had to ask for a manager at the gate, the lady on duty tried to tell me 30 minutes prior only and we couldn’t enter. Outrageous treatment of paying customers, Disney has lost their minds. (The lot was nowhere near full btw)
If I had to guess I think it's a combination of 1) charging for parking during resort stays, and 2) it being a resort along the Skyliner. But yes, it is nonsense.

this past weekend, when we pulled up to riviera for our dinner reservation, we asked if they had valet, parking CM had no idea, he was pulled from MK to fill in. So I’m guessing the understaffing woes have a lot to do with situations like this. (Still ridiculous tho, glad you got a manger.)

We never rent cars- but we did on our last trip in May. They checked our magic bands to confirm our ADRs every time I parked at a resort. If you want to resort hop with a car I would park at Disney Springs (leave it at the park if you are already at a park) and take buses from there.

This was our experience at Contemporary. Our Uber was turned away because we were too early for our ADR… Told to return within 30 minutes of our reservation. Our driver dropped us at the intersection and we walked to the resort. It seems to have more to do with people entering very early to access the parks and then modify and canceling their reservation methinks.

We did a lot of resort hopping in May. It was a little harder without the resort-to-resort boats, but there are still plenty of ways to do it.

We never rent cars- but we did on our last trip in May. They checked our magic bands to confirm our ADRs every time I parked at a resort. If you want to resort hop with a car I would park at Disney Springs (leave it at the park if you are already at a park) and take buses from there.
Would that work if you had a mobile order scheduled?

I have not tried with QS- but must reports I have read were “no”. It has to be an ADR. You can, of course, always try- but I would be prepared to be turned away and have an alternative plan. Which may end up wasting your time. Ultimately, they only want sit down restaurant guests and guests of that resort entering via vehicles.

Ugh, sorry about the hassle. They really don't appreciate people trying to park at resorts near Epcot & MK to try to then walk over to the park, so that's my guess as to why they acted so suspicious. And I think it will get worse with fireworks returning as that was a situation in which guests used to take up a lot of parking spaces from guests of the resorts. (That of course, didn't apply in your situation given it was only 6:45.)

We love to park hop, but we always use Disney transport. Yes, it adds quite a bit of time in some cases and the occasional transportation related hassle, but at least once we arrive, we're good to go.

Would that work if you had a mobile order scheduled?
The monorail resorts aren’t allowing mobile orders unless you are staying there. We stayed at GF last week and couldn’t even order from Kona Cafe. Even if I had booked a dining reservation I’m not sure how we would have gotten there with both the monorail and walkway closed. These were things that were available before we arrived because I had tested out mobile order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter