Has the flu hit your friends and family?

My DM woke up sick with the flu 2 days before she was scheduled for the flu shot. She went to urgent care the next day for the flu test and Covid test so knows it is just that. Her doc said when she feels better to get the flu shot because she had one strain and the shot covers more.

Everything seems to be going around here, and has been since the start of the school year. DD has had friends out with covid, strep, flu, and some unspecified respiratory crud that tests negative for all of the above but has considerable symptom overlap. Local hospitals are warning RSV and an unusually bad rhinovirus are hitting babies and the immune compromised very hard and very early this season. In my household, it almost feels like kindergarten all over again - you know, that first year your kid is in daycare/class and they get every stupid bug that goes around? That's DD14 and her whole friend group this year.

I'm always interested on how other school districts are handling covid. We have not had covid notifications from our schools since the 2020-2021 school year. I have no idea how many cases are currently in the schools. But, we live in a rural community with 1,200 kids total in K-12 all in one building. No masks required since the 2020-2021 school year. The vast majority of our parents are ok with both of these things. I know the bigger cities are handling covid differently.

Well, the notifications used to be targeted to only those students who had shared classroom space with the positive case. Now, they just send out a generic "A covid case has been reported in a student or staff member. Monitor your child for symptoms."

So far, no flu for my friends and family. We all got flu shots as soon as we could. My 1 year old was positive for RSV and shared with my husband and myself.

Within the last couple weeks or so, one of our friends was diagnosed with flu A and B at the same time. Another friend's has a child who was also diagnosed with flu A and B (at the same time). DH is coughing and hoarse right now.

I have been kind of sick for about a month now myself. When it started back in October I had a slight fever/horrible cough/completely clogged nose/headache/sore throat/brain fog/body aches/fatigue. I tested a couple times for covid a few days apart and it was negative. The flu didn't really cross my mind. My thing now is, I will recover and feel fine for a couple days, but symptoms (thankfully milder) keep coming back. I am still dealing with the cough and the sore throat is making yet another encore.

Wife tested positive for flu A last night and also bronchitis. She got the flu shot about 5 weeks ago.
Negative for Covid.

My kids had some respiratory things including a fever, but negative for both flu and COVID. There was a teammate of my DS who had the flu, so we thought maybe that’s what we had, but no. Doctor said he’s had positive flu cases for at least a few weeks.

Yes. And coworkers. Many have said Flu A is worse than covid in some cases (post vaccination for covid).

I know coworkers who had Covid, quarantined and came back and then a couple weeks later get hit with the flu and they say it’s far worse.

I’m now wondering if my flu shot this year hurt as bad as it did because they knew it was gonna be bad.

My youngest had RSV. I always thought RSV was a (really) young persons ailment.
I always thought RSV was a once in a blue moon type illness. Now "RSV" word is thrown around as much as flu.
Is RSV part of the cold family?

Well, I am just recovering from strep. It has taken what seems like forever to get rid of it and the symptoms. I had a terrible sore throat for almost a week and finally went to urgent care when the pain was in my ear. Rapid test strep. So, at least I had antibiotics that could help and they did. I've had strep 3 or 4 times as an adult. My mom and I can't recall a time I had it while a kid.

No one else in my family had it even though we all had the same symptoms! They did rapid and longer term testing to check for all the strains of strep. How this is possible I will never know. They didn't have flu, RSV, or covid. Just a bad cold.

It's just that time of year. We had covid for the first time in September - specifically related to school case. Other than that, I'm used to getting stuff from the kids and from school. I think people forget we did get sick before covid. If you don't have little kids, you may not be exposed as much, but when the year first starts off, we would always get something in the first month or so.

A couple of friends in another state (healthy middle-aged men) have been absolutely knocked out by something. Covid negative on rapid tests, and neither will see a doctor. Horrible cough, moderate fever, exhaustion, body aches, both say they can barely move. One's had it for about two weeks and seems to be slowly getting better, the other just came down with it a few days ago and is in the full throes. Both are up to date on both Covid and flu shots.

A couple of friends in another state (healthy middle-aged men) have been absolutely knocked out by something. Covid negative on rapid tests, and neither will see a doctor. Horrible cough, moderate fever, exhaustion, body aches, both say they can barely move. One's had it for about two weeks and seems to be slowly getting better, the other just came down with it a few days ago and is in the full throes. Both are up to date on both Covid and flu shots.

Definitely sounds like flu. When my son started feeling sick like that, his covid tests at home were negative so I suspected flu (he had a high fever, fatigue and chest pain). CVS does drive thru combo flu/covid PCR tests with next day results (free with insurance). Sure enough, covid negative, Flu A positive. I was glad to have the knowledge he had flu because when we had to take him to the pediatrician 3 days later with chest pain on breathing, they didn't waste any time prescribing antibiotics for the pneumonia the doctor heard in his chest. The doctor was surprised he swabbed positive for flu and said she had not yet had any patients with it (this was in mid August). It was not on her radar.

Yes, the flu ran through our family the past couple of weeks. Or maybe a cold. We all had headache, cough, scratchy throat, but no fever. It didn't last too long for anyone -- about four days.

Yes. And coworkers. Many have said Flu A is worse than covid in some cases (post vaccination for covid).

I know coworkers who had Covid, quarantined and came back and then a couple weeks later get hit with the flu and they say it’s far worse.

I’m now wondering if my flu shot this year hurt as bad as it did because they knew it was gonna be bad.
I agree that the flu I have gotten in the past was much worse than my unvaccinated covid case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter