• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haunted Mansion - Disneyland version Better?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Went to Haunted Mansion when I was 6 years old and it's one of the few rides that I remember. So this past trip, I took my 5 year old daughter . Guess she's like mommy since she says its her favorite ride. (And personally seeing it again, I didn't see anything that was scary...even the stretching room...cool yes, but not scary).

Anyways, I'm watching a YouTube video on the history of it and the Disneyland one seems much more elaborate (e.g. portraits on the wall, from the outside you see the house straight on). There are elements that are the same but from the site, the DL one seems much better. The history of it by the way, is quite fascinating.

Any comments?

Also, do people really find HM scary? (Yeah I know...I'm talking as an adult and my DD who happened to not be scared as well)

Children often find HM to be spooky. Dark, with images of dead people showing up. Portraits moving.

And the worst for our son? Grown adults choosing to scream their heads off. If you put 100 screaming adults vs 1 calm and rational me, DS will go with the screaming people. He HATES the stretching room. Even with earplugs it's hard for him. He's 10 and getting better about it, but it's really hard to convince a kid that there isn't something horrifying happening, when so many grown people are screaming about it.

Haunted Mansion Holiday, however, is much loved by DS. Jack and Sally make it feel safe for him. That's ONLY at Disneyland, though.

We've done both, and think they are both great. I don't really think of one as better than the other, although I know some people do. I do REALLY want so see Disneyland's Nightmare Before Christmas overlay during the holiday season, since we have not had a chance to do that and I hear it is great. They do have their differences, but at least to me it is not like POTC where Disneyland's version is far superior to Disneyworld's version.

As far as scary, I had to be chicken exited out of WDW's at age 8 after the stretching room. I'm not really a Halloween person, and there are aspects of it that I would consider a little on the scary side (like the pop ups in the cemetery), although much of it is not. DD is 8, and while she has been willing to ride it since she was 4 or 5, but she did find it scary until this year. Our trip a few weeks ago, after being in WDW's new Haunted Mansion store which is fabulous, she became obsessed with the ride and we rode it several times on our trip. Now, it doesn't scare her at all.

They are different, but I'm not sure I would rate one as better than the other. I actually like the Paris version best. I do really enjoy the NBC overlay when its there at Disneyland, but I also understand why it isn't practical at WDW.

As for the scare factor - I can't see too many adults being scared by this ride, but it DOES scare the bejeebers out of some children. Our kids were split on this one. One loved it. The other was so freaked out by it that she wouldn't ride it again until she was an older teen.

My kids are all still somewhat scared of it, but they suffer through for me ;) I have told this story on here before but the one who who is the most afraid was traumatized when we were stuck in the graveyard for over 20 minutes (with the lights off and all of the animatronics on) when the ride shut down on us. As a child, I remember that the hitch-hiking ghost freaked me out - I thought it was real!

As already stated on here, DL's holiday version is just amazing and I cannot recommend it enough. Actually, Christmas at DLR is pretty amazing over all.

Never really got the scare factor either and this is coming from a person that hates haunted houses, etc. Thankfully my boys have been riding since they were toddlers and there has never been any fear for them either. I do see how the streching room could be overwhelming to some but that's more for the being cramped together in such a small space. I do love Haunted Mansion though and am excited about seeing what the new store has to offer next time we are there.

IMO, yes, the Disneyland version is better. I love both, but I definitely feel like Disneyland's is a bit more elaborate. I also prefer the Southern Plantation setting.the fact that there's a churro cart right outside the queue entrance doesn't hurt either ;) Though I do like the stair scene in WDW, and I don't believe DL's has that.

They are different, but I'm not sure I would rate one as better than the other. I actually like the Paris version best. I do really enjoy the NBC overlay when its there at Disneyland, but I also understand why it isn't practical at WDW.

I agree with minnie mum! DLP's theming is amazing beginning with the pathway to the Mansion. Our ride vehicle stopped in front of the bride who was much more macabre than I was expecting!

I also like DL's NBC version and how it honors Imagineers who have passed on. Christmas gifts in a couple of different scenes bear name tags with the Imagineers' names respectfully displayed.

Each one is different, though I wouldn't say better. DL has a longer inside queue after the stretching room (which is actually an elevator at DL). That's where the portraits are, but you wait longer. This is also where the busts that follow you are. Once you are on the ride, it is a little shorter at DL, with no conservatory/"crazy stairs" scenes (The organ player, I believe, is in the attic scene). Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

The exterior is more of a southern mansion look at DL, as opposed to the New England "castle" type of architecture at WDW. Take your pick as to which one you like better. You do get to walk in the "front door" at DL, which is a little cooler than the hidden entrance.

Never been to DW but I enjoyed DL's and did not find it scary at all HOWEVER my DD5 the first time we tried to ride got thru the front door (not even to the stretching room) and freaked we had to leave!!...she did ride it later and said she didn't know why she was so scared at first because it wasn't scary at all

As for the scare factor - I can't see too many adults being scared by this ride, but it DOES scare the bejeebers out of some children. Our kids were split on this one. One loved it. The other was so freaked out by it that she wouldn't ride it again until she was an older teen.

I actually liked the Paris version as well! I have not had many that agreed with me on that!!! :)

I actually liked the Paris version as well! I have not had many that agreed with me on that!!! :)

Phantom Manor is phreaking phantastic. Its got kind of an Addams family vibe going on the outside; and wandering around the tombstones is great.

DL Haunted Mansion has the real elevator in the first room, otherwide the ride is shorter and more compact. The line que is mostly outside. A few features of WDW HM are missing. The exit just spills you right outside.

WDW Haunted Mansion has the interesting and entertaining cemetary outside in the line area. Plus the ride is much longer.

Big HM fans/junkies here...in our opinion the WDW is a little bit better than the DL version. The outdoor queue at DL is great but can seem to take forever plus you don't get the changing portrait of Master Gracey once inside like at WDW. Like has been mentioned, the DL ride is also shorter and missing a couple of scenes (the Escher staircase at WDW is great!). However, you do get the Nightmare before Christmas overlay at DL which is unique to that park and is a lot of fun.

Things we love at WDW's HM that you don't get at DL:

Master Gracey portrait
Madame Leota tombstone
New graveyard additions outside
Live entertainer outside during the Halloween parties
Additional scenes/longer ride in general
A little more spooky exterior when walking up...the DL isn't quite as scary in our opinion

I like DL version more, primarily for the outside ambience and such. I LOVE New Orleans square in DL.

I prefer the Disneyland Mansion, myself. These are the main reasons:

• Being able to walk in the front door and walk down the portrait corridor makes it seem more like you’re going into a real house and heightens the illusion
  • The conveyor belt painted like an Oriental rug is a nice touch
  • The overall lighting levels, especially in the areas you have to walk through, are just a bit brighter – the WDW Mansion is much darker than it needs to be
  • No silly queue graveyard out front to spoil the atmosphere
  • Still has the creepier analog Hitchhiking Ghosts

I thought Tokyo's version was pretty cool. Weird it being in Fantasyland though.

I would not call it better. It is a little bit different.

The stretch room at DL is actually an elevator because the ride is underground. That's sort of cool.

I dislike WDW's passageway from the Stretch Room to the ride vehicles. MK has that funnel-like feel where the large crowd has to form a single line. Even before the back of the crowd exits the funnel, a new group of riders is already crowding behind. DL in Anaheim has a better setup.

The ride itself is slightly better at MK. More rotating busts for starters, plus the Escher staircases.

Someone mentioned a Christmas overlay at DL. Do they still do a Halloween overlay? They did in October of 2002.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter