Haunted Mansion - Too Dark?

I noticed that as well. I could hardly see to make my way in since it was a walk on with no holding room. The first part of the ride was so dark I thought my eyesight was going bad but realized I just hadn't adjusted. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Went on a few rides couple years ago in DL from special entrance with no pre-show and my mom and I were bumping into people on Haunted Mansion as we walked to the doom buggies because we couldn't see anything. It was very strange and I believe was due to no time for our eyes to adjust. Pirates was not as bad because we were held inside for a short wait before a special boat came for our group.

We just got back from our last trip, and there's something that's been cloying at me. I love the Haunted Mansion. It is my all time favorite ride. It is my family's all time favorite. Please don't take this as a complaint. It's very much not. On our MK day, we, of course, rode the Haunted Mansion. Here's what we noticed. It was dark. Extremely dark. We couldn't see the staircase, and the Endless Hallway was very dim. Didn't ruin our enjoyment of the ride, but all four of us noticed how hard it was to see in there. Has anyone else noticed this?
I went a couple of nights ago and didn't notice any difference from usual. It was nighttime, though, so maybe that helped.

We just went to the magic kingdom yesterday and I was thinking the same thing. There were a few other rides too that felt too dark - Peter Pan was also darker than it remember.

I distinctly remember on haunted mansion when in the room with the crystal ball head to be able to see a crow and stuff on the walls but the lights were so dark you could only see the talking head. Kind of odd.

Maybe renovations/upkeep are too expensive so just turn down the lights?

We just went to the magic kingdom yesterday and I was thinking the same thing. There were a few other rides too that felt too dark - Peter Pan was also darker than it remember.

I distinctly remember on haunted mansion when in the room with the crystal ball head to be able to see a crow and stuff on the walls but the lights were so dark you could only see the talking head. Kind of odd.

Maybe renovations/upkeep are too expensive so just turn down the lights?

You would've thought by now they would've changed to LEDS and cut the costs down by 75%. lol

Now that you mention it Peter Pan actually seemed darker also, but there isn't much to see that wasn't illuminated of course.

The last time I rode Peter Pan, it seemed much lighter than normal and I didn't like it because I could see the un-magical looking walls, ceiling, etc. I recalled it being darker in the past and those things were more hidden in the shadows which, in my opinion, enhances the experience of actually being in a fantasy world and not in a warehouse.

I'm sure it's just because my eyes adjusted more quickly, but still...

I think its because you don't have the 2 pre-show rooms to give your eyes time to adjust to the lower light.
Didn't notice Peter Pan being darker than usual.
I think you solved the mystery! Hubby and I rode last month and couldn't figure out why we couldn't see anything.

What I have been doing is wearing sunglasses as long as possible, and then keeping eyes shut tight until after the ride picture is taken, since that flash will also affect the eyes. We realized how much better you can see when doing the ride at night as your eyes are already accustomed to the dark:

579800 579801579802579803

We rode 4 times week before last, and I definitely think it's because your eyes don't have time to adjust.

Here are my verrry scientific observations :P
  • The first time we rode in the morning on a very sunny day, me and my teen kids ALL said it was much darker.
  • The second time we rode in the afternoon (still very sunny), we got stuck toward the beginning for a few minutes and could see much better after that.
  • The third time, it was at night and we could see better, but not as well as when we got stuck.
  • The fourth time my teen boys decided to close their eyes in the queue and said they could see much better.

IIRC, Disney recently (well, in the past couple of years) plugging the light leaks at HM so that it would be darker. Those that have ridden HM during the day time and those who rode after dark could tell the difference.

It's probably Cheapek saving money by not changing lightbulbs. Then, he doesn't have to spend money to refurbish the scenes, since you can't see them.

Interesting thoughts, I wonder if science can confirm that. I just chalked it up to growing old and my eyes ain't what they used to be!
That does play a part in it as well. The 2 added together makes it dimmer for you than say a 30 yr old just walking through and having to adjust inside.

We were there this past week, and it's definitely darker than it was when we were there in the fall...when there were also no pre-shows. Especially noticeable in the stairway room the OP mentioned. You basically couldn't make out the stairs, and we barely notice a footprint or two. Definitely not that "greenish" light we're used to in there.

The couple of minutes of the pre-shows aren't going to make that much of a difference.

Again...I'm comparing my experience this past week to my experience in November. No pre-shows in either time, but definitely and noticeably darker this past week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter