Haunted Mansion

Yes, I know I'm in the minority. I don't get the obsession with that movie. I'll turn the channel if it comes on.
I love both

Many I think Prefer the newer one....because its "new"

But I doubt most would want the Holiday version year round

Also if the film does well enough, I hope we get sequels that feature Phantom Manor and other versions

We like the Nightmare version much better than the original. The only thing better in the original is the hitchhiking ghosts.

I'm always "Team Give TNBC it's own year-round attraction and leave my Haunted Mansion alone" on this one.

HM is my fave, and a classic and I hate when it goes away. TNBC is not my fave, it's a movie I've seen twice in my entire life and it's fine, and one ride on HMH per season is enough for me. It's popular enough that it needs its own attraction at this point.

I'm always "Team Give TNBC it's own year-round attraction and leave my Haunted Mansion alone" on this one.

HM is my fave, and a classic and I hate when it goes away. TNBC is not my fave, it's a movie I've seen twice in my entire life and it's fine, and one ride on HMH per season is enough for me. It's popular enough that it needs its own attraction at this point.
I have never gotten with the Characters soooo big why we don't have a Dark ride yet

I saw the movie tonight. It's pretty good. I can see where a lot of people will like it more than the first version, though, honestly, for me they are about the same - I think that first one is pretty under-rated though. It's a fun watch, as is this one. There is something that keeps them just a little short of being franchise material though - not quite sure what it is.

The reviews are not good. The Eddie Murphy one was so bad and this appears to be no exception. Boo.

After thinking about it for a night, I think I know what the issue is with both the Eddie Murphy version and this one - it's the focus on the human characters. Like, in each one, there is a group of humans, a family, that moves into the house, but that's like thier entire thing. They're never all that interesting and once the plot is resolved, that's basically it. Like in Pirates of the Caribbean, the main character IS a pirate - he is a part of the world as presented. The humans in Hm feel tertiary and unmemorable. Again, it's not that they're bad or unlikeable or antyhing, they just lack a hook to make them worthy of revisiting in a series. I did really enjoy the movie, but I am fine with it being a one-off thing, just like the first one.

I haven't seen it yet but I was not impressed by the preview at the theatre the other day. Love the cast, love the idea but it looked to me like they made the same choices in the new version that made the old one...too silly? too lacking in plot? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it and I'll remain hopeful it will be better than the first one, which I thought was great at the beginning but went downhill quickly.

Also, if the target audience is younger people, then maybe they should have cast it differently. If it's for my generation then they cast it well.

The Mario movie got hammered by some reviewers but people didn't care, they saw it and liked it

I have no idea if it's good but seeing it Sunday because the reviewers I follow liked it
Yeah, I basically never read reviews. For movies or theatre. Movies, since I have A-List, I don't really stress is since AMC is pretty much always losing money on me - if something looks remotely intriguing and the timing works for a movie day, I'll go see it. For theatre, if I'm unsure on seeing something, I'll ask friends I trust who actually work in theatre and then will make up my mind...especially since most of them know what I like and don't when it comes to plays and musicals.

After thinking about it for a night, I think I know what the issue is with both the Eddie Murphy version and this one - it's the focus on the human characters. Like, in each one, there is a group of humans, a family, that moves into the house, but that's like thier entire thing. They're never all that interesting and once the plot is resolved, that's basically it. Like in Pirates of the Caribbean, the main character IS a pirate - he is a part of the world as presented. The humans in Hm feel tertiary and unmemorable. Again, it's not that they're bad or unlikeable or antyhing, they just lack a hook to make them worthy of revisiting in a series. I did really enjoy the movie, but I am fine with it being a one-off thing, just like the first one.

Good point. Maybe they should have done the HM movie kind of like Beetlejuice or The Sixth Sense or The Others. Where the characters are ghosts but they or the audience doesn't realize it at first.

Anyway, the trailer looked pretty good so hoping to hear a few more positive reviews from non-critics and then will go see it.

Good point. Maybe they should have done the HM movie kind of like Beetlejuice or The Sixth Sense or The Others. Where the characters are ghosts but they or the audience doesn't realize it at first.

Anyway, the trailer looked pretty good so hoping to hear a few more positive reviews from non-critics and then will go see it.
It's got an 84% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes so far, so that's very respectable.

I just saw the movie and would give it a 6 out of 10. It felt a bit messy. Too much focus on putting in as many references as possible, the story could have used more attention.

I have been to Haunted Mansion in California twice, but only during the overlay. I do know the WDW version a bit better. Well enough to spot some references. Probably not all of them.

But I really wonder how people perceive it if they do not know the ride. For us in Europe, our Haunted Mansion ride in Paris has a very different backstory, so we have no reference here, except some scenes.

Last edited:
Okay, I saw the movie last night, and my personal opinion is that it's actually one of the best Disney Movies I've seen in a few years. Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides. And I absolutely loved all the subtle (and not so subtle) nods to the ride. Even the WDW version too! I've seen the first Haunted Mansion Movie, and this one is leaps and bounds better in my opinion. I'm pretty bummed it'll be the NBC overlay when we're at the park next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter